Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:37 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,329,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
The only thing that really bothered me about this is the letter from the University threatening hate speech charges if she got too out of line.
If you actually read the whole letter, it simply reminds Coulter that the rules in Canada are different than then US, and that some of the things that she espouses could be viewed as hate speech, and to keep that in mind when she is speaking. Now you can take it as a veiled threat, or a concerned pointer, but no overt threats were made.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,726,136 times
Liberal Tolerance: America and Canada's greatest oxymoron. Btw, Canada does not have free speech like America. Openly disagree with homosexuality in Canada; you could wind up in jail. Fascism is becoming fashionable. Oh, Canada.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,943,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If you actually read the whole letter, it simply reminds Coulter that the rules in Canada are different than then US, and that some of the things that she espouses could be viewed as hate speech, and to keep that in mind when she is speaking. Now you can take it as a veiled threat, or a concerned pointer, but no overt threats were made.
I took it as a veiled threat, and that's certainly the way her camp has played it,but it's possible it wasn't intended that way.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
It's sad for Canadians to not have to listen to intolerant hate speech? Wow.

Good job to the University of Ottawa's students for standing for their beliefs.
And for the 1000's of other students that actually wanted to hear her speech; do they not count, because their opinion differs from yours? Not very tolerant of you.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
And for the 1000's of other students that actually wanted to hear her speech; do they not count, because their opinion differs from yours? Not very tolerant of you.
Nobody is 100% tolerant. Neither are you. This is a myth. You can't be tolerant to everything. You have to stand for your principles and beliefs. I agree with psulions2007. Nobody will miss her "speech."

Old 03-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Just for the sake of clarity, here is the letter that started it all.

University of Ottawa's letter to Ann Coulter (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/University+Ottawa+letter+Coulter/2710037/story.html - broken link)

Dear Ms. Coulter,
I understand that you have been invited by University of Ottawa Campus Conservatives to speak at the University of Ottawa this coming Tuesday. We are, of course, always delighted to welcome speakers on our campus and hope that they will contribute positively to the meaningful exchange of ideas that is the hallmark of a great university campus. We have a great respect for freedom of expression in Canada, as well as on our campus, and view it as a fundamental freedom, as recognized by our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
I would, however, like to inform you, or perhaps remind you, that our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression (or "free speech") in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States. I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here.
You will realize that Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression. For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges. Outside of the criminal realm, Canadian defamation laws also limit freedom of expression and may differ somewhat from those to which you are accustomed. I therefore ask you, while you are a guest on our campus, to weigh your words with respect and civility in mind.
There is a strong tradition in Canada, including at this university, of restraint, respect and consideration in expressing even provocative and controversial opinions and urge you to respect that Canadian tradition while on our campus. Hopefully, you will understand and agree that what may, at first glance, seem like unnecessary restrictions to freedom of expression do, in fact, lead not only to a more civilized discussion, but to a more meaningful, reasoned and intelligent one as well.
I hope you will enjoy your stay in our beautiful country, city and campus.
Sincerely,
Francois Houle,

Old 03-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
The actual attendance was about 100.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Nobody is 100% tolerant. Neither are you. This is a myth. You can't be tolerant to everything. You have to stand for your principles and beliefs. I agree with psulions2007. Nobody will miss her "speech."
A. I've never professed to be "tolerant". Please refrain from ever correlating myself and that leftist pc euphemism for "group think" ever again.

B. So the 1000's of people that wanted to hear her, count as "nobody", because they don't line up with your leftist ideology, eh?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The actual attendance was about 100.
Link?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,432,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Your the one who needs some explaining too. We have total freedom of speech here in Canada. That freedom of speech does not include what is judged to be a crime in Canada. Preaching hatred of any group is not freedom of speech at all but is an ignorant, totally unacceptable abuse of others rights. You Americans just can't get that idea through your heads that preaching hate is not freedom of speech. Also I would like to point out to you that even in the USA a university could deside to not allow anyone to speak there if they did not like the message of that person and it would have nothing to do with "free speech". Freedom of speach in the American constitution only applies to the government of the USA and any private party can allow or disallow any thing they so choose to and it does not even fall under "Freedom of speech" in the least.
So I'd like to ask you. Who is the "intellectually disabled or the illlterate one here? Maybe you should look in the mirror to see someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Actually as an American, I consider hate speech (as well as Glenn Beck abuse of the media-type speech) on the same order as yelling FIRE! in a crowded theatre. Please don't broadbrush all of us Americans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau