Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Link?
Coulter campus speech canceled in Canada -

The announcement of the cancellation was greeted with shouts of "Shame" and "We want Ann" from about 100 people inside the hall at the school

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Actually as an American, I consider hate speech (as well as Glenn Beck abuse of the media-type speech) on the same order as yelling FIRE! in a crowded theatre. Please don't broadbrush all of us Americans!
I'm embarrassed that you and I hail from the same country; embarrassed and ashamed, actually. Did you drool over everything that fell out of the mouth of your Marxist Sociology 101 professors mouth at Penn State? Group think is very, very scary.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:22 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Coulter campus speech canceled in Canada -

The announcement of the cancellation was greeted with shouts of "Shame" and "We want Ann" from about 100 people inside the hall at the school
There's an article from a reporter of the Ottawa Sun, or citizen, can't remember which one, and he was there first hand and said "thousands." Can't find the article now though.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Nobody is 100% tolerant. Neither are you. This is a myth. You can't be tolerant to everything. You have to stand for your principles and beliefs. I agree with psulions2007. Nobody will miss her "speech."
You're right. No one is tolerant of everything. And that's precisely the point of free speech laws. Whether or not you agree with, or are tolerant of her views does not mean they are not less worthy of being expressed (nor does the fact that they're ridiculous or hateful).

Besides, with an attitude like that, you're playing right into the woman's hands. She thrives off a sense of persecution, real or imagined. And for the most part, it is imagined. Why give her an actual crutch (albiet a weak one) to lean on?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:30 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
There were about 2000 protestors claimed, that seems high to me, and I would expect a few hundred potential attendees. She wouldn't be speaking at a stadium, likely an auditorium or hall facility. There just wouldn't be the capacity for thousands anywhere on campus.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:30 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
Quote:
A. I've never professed to be "tolerant". Please refrain from ever correlating myself and that leftist pc euphemism for "group think" ever again.

B. So the 1000's of people that wanted to hear her, count as "nobody", because they don't line up with your leftist ideology, eh?
Leftist comparing to whom?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM

45 posts, read 95,091 times
Actually, Muslims have been publicly hating Jews for years and getting away with it in Canada(proof: Rogers Cablecast TV, Vision TV, Toronto Star, London Free Press, Liberal Party reaction to Israel's 2006 invasion of Lebanon). The facts don't mesh with Charter theory!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
You're right. No one is tolerant of everything. And that's precisely the point of free speech laws. Whether or not you agree with, or are tolerant of her views does not mean they are not less worthy of being expressed (nor does the fact that they're ridiculous or hateful).
How about fascists / neo-nazis, racists, nationalists and so on? Wanna let them talk? Wanna let them express themselves? How much value have their "teachings" and "philosophy" for the humanity? How many rights do you want to give them? Are they worthy of being expressed?

Would you deny the right of freedom of speech to a fascist?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 03-24-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 04:42 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If you actually read the whole letter, it simply reminds Coulter that the rules in Canada are different than then US, and that some of the things that she espouses could be viewed as hate speech, and to keep that in mind when she is speaking. Now you can take it as a veiled threat, or a concerned pointer, but no overt threats were made.
Exactly. Canada may sometimes look and feel like the US, but it is not the US. In case you get confused, start on Parliament Hill and take a run over to Quebec while you're at it!

Quote:
Liberal Tolerance: America and Canada's greatest oxymoron. Btw, Canada does not have free speech like America. Openly disagree with homosexuality in Canada; you could wind up in jail. Fascism is becoming fashionable. Oh, Canada.
What exaggerative nonsense. There is a difference between openly disagreeing with someone's lifestyle and openly preaching hatred against them (example: Westboro Baptist Church). One can be allowed, the other isn't. Otherwise, you'd have a bunch of Albertans in prison for no reason!

Quote:
And for the 1000's of other students that actually wanted to hear her speech; do they not count, because their opinion differs from yours? Not very tolerant of you.
According to CBC, Ottawa police said there was a crowd of about 1-2,000 at the door. Some sources said all of them were protesting, some said 100-200 were protesting, with the rest wanting in. Regardless, the protesters have a right to protest as well. Canada is not the United States, and if she was going to make similar remarks at UO that she did at UWO, she could face prosecution. No one wants to hear hate speech save for a few crazies and drama fanatics. This was no different than when the group of bikers formed a protest wall between the military funerals and the Westboro Baptist Church protestors.

Quote:
Nobody is 100% tolerant. Neither are you. This is a myth. You can't be tolerant to everything. You have to stand for your principles and beliefs. I agree with psulions2007. Nobody will miss her "speech."
Big thumbs up here. It is impossible to be 100% tolerant as naturally there will be some things you disagree with fervently.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,498 times
Quote:
How about fascists / neo-nazis, racists, nationalists and so on? Wanna let them talk? Wanna let them express themselves? How much value have their "teachings" and "philosophy" for the humanity? How many rights do you want to give them? Are they worthy of being expressed?
Yes, I'll let them talk. Personally, I think they're valueless, but that's not the point. As long as I'm not forced to listen, I think they should be able to say whatever they want.

Legislating them from speaking won't lose them any followers anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau