Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,176,600 times

Advertisements

My son started Jr high last year and he started telling me about the "Emo" kids. I had thought it was just a way of dressing. I asked my niece about it, she is in her early twenties. She was Emo as a teen. She had problems but I did not realize she was cutting herself. She did let others torture her. She let someone heat up a plastic cross and burn it into her skin. My niece still has the scar. That was a real rough time. She said its about being miserable. Whether you truly are or just act like you are. The kids cut themselves either because of psychological reasons or trying to fit in to a particular group. When myspace was popular, I noticed kids would post bumper stickers etc on their pages. One of the favorites going around was a picture of a lawnmower sitting on grass. The caption said, "I wish my lawn was Emo, so it would cut itself." At that time I had no idea what it even really meant.

Just more crap to worry about as a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 AM

345 posts, read 475,299 times
Cutting is also a symptom of Borderline PD.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:22 PM

13,611 posts, read 10,024,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I've also heard that other kids will call these kids "Emo". I thought Emo was a style of dressing - I guess not!
As a parent of young teen girls this concerns me. I thought I knew about the risks - sex, drugs, drinking, ect. I didn't realise that cutting was common! I guess I need to educate myself a bit more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Emo are Goth. Not all Goth's cut, and not all cutters are Goth.

But studies have proven that identifying oneself as Goth is the best predictor of self harm and suicide among teens. (Wikipedia)
Oooh no, Emo is not Goth. They're two separate groups. They're identified by the bands they listened to as well as dress. Emo is about expressing your emotions, where as Goth is about expressing your dark side. Emo music is bands playing instruments and Goth is usually electronic music. They both originated in the early punk scene, and emo stands for "emotional hardcore" while goth stands for "gothic rock".

Emo kids tend to be sadder and more reflective, while goth kids are dark and moody.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:50 PM

707 posts, read 1,469,090 times
I actually have "LOVE" tattoed on my wrist. Its a great organization. I attempted suicide at the age of 15. Not one of my better judgements however if she does know they are cutting she should get them help and not ignore them. Most people who find out someone is cutting end up ignoring that personand it makes that person worse. My sister is currently going through this with one of her friends and everyone stopped talking to him when they found out except my sister.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,924,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My daughter experimented with cutting a few times in high school. It was very scary for me! And for her too I think. She suffers from depression and has been on antidepressants since she was 11.

She has not cut in over a year that I know of. Oh and she is far from emo--she has a ton of friends, a great boyfriend, lots of activities and is doing great in college. She seems to be growing out of the teenage self-centredness that drives some of the self destructive behaviours.

Cutting won't kill, only scar. You can't punish and you can't really stop it. It is a symptom. You just need to make sure the child has the chance to talk to someone and to get treatment if depression is diagnosed.
Yes, it will. There was a girl on our local news about a month ago who killed herself because she cut her wrist too close to the veins. So scary..

Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,146,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Cutting won't kill, only scar. You can't punish and you can't really stop it. It is a symptom. You just need to make sure the child has the chance to talk to someone and to get treatment if depression is diagnosed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Yes, it will. There was a girl on our local news about a month ago who killed herself because she cut her wrist too close to the veins. So scary..

Yes, cutting can kill. Some people progress from "simple" cutting to suicide cutting. All cutting is a symptom of emotional issues - from major depression to worse.

Cutters do it to relieve the (internal) pressure, to find a physical pain rather than emotional pain, or for attention. Attention seekers are not any more safe than the pain-releasing cutters from the possibility of escalation from minor skin cuts to deeper bleeding out cuts.

Along with that is always the issue of "sharing" cutting tools or using non-sterile ones. Whether it's a razor, scalpel, box cutter, or knife the danger of infection is very real.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,979,410 times
Most of the cutters I have been in contact with do this in order to make their mental pain into something physical. Often, though not always, these kids have been abused by someone close to them. The abuse can be physical, sexual or emotional.

Here is another support group for cutters
secret shame (self-injury information and support) (http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/injury.html - broken link)

Old 12-07-2010, 03:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,233,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oooh no, Emo is not Goth. They're two separate groups. They're identified by the bands they listened to as well as dress. Emo is about expressing your emotions, where as Goth is about expressing your dark side. Emo music is bands playing instruments and Goth is usually electronic music. They both originated in the early punk scene, and emo stands for "emotional hardcore" while goth stands for "gothic rock".

Emo kids tend to be sadder and more reflective, while goth kids are dark and moody.
Regardless of the true history, many of today's teens who do not affiliate view all Goths as Emos.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM

13,611 posts, read 10,024,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Regardless of the true history, many of today's teens who do not affiliate view all Goths as Emos.
Well, they would be wrong. Goths are not Emo, or the other way around. The history was just a point of interest.

Probably, most teens who aren't affiliated just think both are weird, and don't bother to differentiate.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,233,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Probably, most teens who aren't affiliated just think both are weird, and don't bother to differentiate.
I'm sure that's it! Regardless, emos and goths are both know for cutting. That's all that really matters for this thread, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting