Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My sons loved Mulan also. I think there is a universal appeal to Mulan that surpasses any gender issues.
Maybe its the cross dressing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,760,617 times
We read Fa Mulan in college. The other soldiers found out she was a woman when she got pregnant. Disney left that out too.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,943,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe its the cross dressing?
LMAO. I don't know why but they really did absolutely love Mulan.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,214,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Idk if this is the same, but its not for the man, its for love..
And this is where it might not be the same, I dream of a nice house, an SUV and a good paying job but if me and TG we're broke and had nothing but love I would still be ok. You don't need those material things in life, you don't need anything at all as long as you have the one you love.

So I don't really think its giving up everything for a man, I think it is finding love and finding what's most important in life.
Or maybe the REAL message is be grateful if you don't have a douchy father who doesn't try to understand you but tries to ram his way down your throat so you have to give up your family to pursue love.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,032,409 times
I don't think it matters what Disney left out, included, whatever.
They did what they wanted when they based their movies on the original storylines. Big deal.

Upthread a good point was made: We have two genders.
There is nothing wrong with little girls who love pink, princesses, glitter, fairydust, and the concept of romantic love.
I laugh when the same people (not necessarily on this thread, but in general) tout "inclusion, understanding, acceptance, blah blah"
but ONLY if it goes one way.

Girls who can swordfight, wear gray and black, eshew makeup, lead an army = One bad a** superfly chick!
Girls who love "girly" things? Must get them away from that! OH the path that will lead them down!!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I don't think it matters what Disney left out, included, whatever.
They did what they wanted when they based their movies on the original storylines. Big deal.

Upthread a good point was made: We have two genders.
There is nothing wrong with little girls who love pink, princesses, glitter, fairydust, and the concept of romantic love.
I laugh when the same people (not necessarily on this thread, but in general) tout "inclusion, understanding, acceptance, blah blah"
but ONLY if it goes one way.

Girls who can swordfight, wear gray and black, eshew makeup, lead an army = One bad a** superfly chick!
Girls who love "girly" things? Must get them away from that! OH the path that will lead them down!!
I think the point of the article is that some people worry that girls are being encouraged to be not just girly but self-centered little divas. The article mentioned stickers saying "it's all about ME" and "spoiled princess," like it's a good thing to be a spoiled little princess.

If you look at any one of the pageant threads here (Toddlers and Tiaras, etc.), you can see that many people worry that little girls are being raised beyond mere girlishness. Makeup, grown-up clothes, high heels, etc., can have their place in any little girl's dress-up drawer, but I think most people (on this board at least) would agree that some pageant parents take it way too far. And we all can see the fallout, with overindulged, coddled little snots who can't have a normal relationship with anyone.

Here are some examples of the diva mentality some parents are transferring onto their daughters:

Heelarious Zebra Baby High Heels, Infant Heels, Helarious Baby Shoes, Soft Baby High Heels, Crib Shoes, Zebra

Spoil Your Brats | Babies, Girls, Boys designer clothing, and more

It's All About Me Tee - Teen Clothing by Wet Seal

Girl Power: Girls Rule Tin Sign « Motivational

Spoiled Princess! T Shirts from Zazzle.com

There are a ton of shirts at that last one.

Girls rule! tee shirt from Zazzle.com
Just Call Me Spoiled T-shirt from Zazzle.com

This is what the article is about, not "pink is bad" or "girls should act like boys." It's the question whether Disney and other marketers are encouraging the spoiled brat mentality among girls.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,190,791 times
I agree with Julia

Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,740,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
*eyeroll*
I never got this whole feminist rant about princesses and Barbies.
They're just toys and cartoons for chrissakes. If a little girl hates them and wants to play with the boys - great. If she loves them and wants everything around her to be pink and frilly - wonderful, nothing wrong with that whatsoever. While I prefer toys and shows for kids that are educational, most of which tend to be gender-neutral anyways, there's absolutely nothing wrong with gender-based role-playing for both girls and boys, be it princesses or action heroes or what have you. I find it absolutely ridiculous that there's this hippie trend to completely eliminate all gender division from kids' play. Newsflash: we have two genders! They can have different roles and interests (that's NOT to say they can't overlap, intersect, or in any way be restricted to one or the other), but men and women are different and that's normal and I see absolutely no reason to try and somehow make it a secret for kids that they're either a girl or a boy. I also see a complete bias, particularly among the feminist moms of daughters, against anything girly or feminine or - gasp! - pink, which is automatically deemed 'evil princess culture', while boys' toys, games, clothes are somehow considered preferable and the superior choice. I've heard so many moms proudly proclaim how they don't have a single pink item in their house and their daughters only ever wear boy clothes - not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't see how that's somehow a point of pride? Like they think they're raising these strong, independent women - by completely eschewing anything feminine and idolizing masculinity? Sounds like an oxymoron to me but whatever. Meanwhile I don't see many of the same moms rushing to dress their sons in pink frilly clothing or buying them barbies and princess toys - so not buying the whole blab about 'gender equality'.
If there is a practical, logical reason for avoiding pink, I get it. I mean, pink is pretty and all, but it's can also be a nightmare to get those grass & mud stains out of. I've met darn few of those weird "only dress your girl in pink/avoid pink at all cost" folks, thank goodness.

To me, it seems as if we're doing more harm than good, when we're not teaching BOTH sexes to be strong and independent. Strength comes in many, many different forms and does not wear any specific "color". Strength also does not have to mean "coarse/abrasive".

The funny thing about kids is this....quite often, the more you try to "steer" them, the harder they fight to pull the rains from your hands. Children should be taught to dress "appropriately for the occasion". Of course, that's just my opinion.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Idk if this is the same, but its not for the man, its for love..
And this is where it might not be the same, I dream of a nice house, an SUV and a good paying job but if me and TG we're broke and had nothing but love I would still be ok. You don't need those material things in life, you don't need anything at all as long as you have the one you love.

So I don't really think its giving up everything for a man, I think it is finding love and finding what's most important in life.
It wasn't really about giving up material possessions (unless I've forgotten. It's been a while). Didn't she give up her family and her voice? She gave up her entire life "under the sea" to live on land with him, right?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM

More princess mentality:

Pampered Princess Mini Spa ("Celebrates feminity [sic] and helps aid self esteem in little girls and teenagers" ... with a picture of a Hummer limo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting