Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I was the problem child, I guess. At the age of 2 I was pushing out screens and escaping the house to roam the woods and head a block down the street to visit the neighbors rabbits. My mom was frazzled by me to say the least.

I survived, but today I question how.

If you want your child to be where you last left them, dont leave them. that is all I can advise.
You're the exception of the hyperactive child who can't be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I always had the house childproofed, so I felt all right leaving my child playing for 10 or 15 minutes. Back then, my washing machine was on the patio and I didn't take the babies out in the cold while I hung up clothes. I also had to shower now and then...it just wouldn't have been possible to wait until they were 5 to take a shower

We only had trouble once, when I was in the restroom and my daughter let the apartment maintenence man in to make a repair. She was three, and I had taught her that she couldn't open the front door and go out by herself, but I hadn't communicated to her that she couldn't let people in either. The maintenence man should have known better than to come in when there were no adults answering the door, but he didn't. After that, I knew to tell my daughter not to answer the door, something which I had never taught her because it was just common sense to me.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
From the time mine could walk they would go into other rooms out of my direct sight. I could hear them. If I didn't hear them, it was time to check on them. At about 2 or so I was comfortable running up or down the stairs to get something in another part of the house. DD was a fairly calm child. At about 12 months old she sat on our bed watching TV while my husband showered. I had to leave for work earlier and would set her up with a favorite show while dad showered.

Kids go to kindergarten at age 5. I would hate to think they could not be left alone for a few minutes before that.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Goodness 5 is way too old to be watched 24/7. This will cause a neurotic kid when he is older.

If you have more than 1 kid you know one will appoint him or herself Chief Tattletaler of The Realm and you can be sure to be told of any wrong doing! But a child as young as 2 should be OK in a room childproofed for 10 - 15 minutes. I think some people are too lax about cords, sharp edges, unsafe toys etc. Those are the parents who cry "I never dreamed he would...." when tragedy happens.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
Thanks all. My son is 4, although he has autism - but to the degree where if I put on a show about garbage trucks, he will not move from that spot for hours. I'm not particularly worried about him getting into trouble, he does not have the same interest in the danger-zones like his 12 month old brother. I have been leaving him 5-10 minutes at a time to put the baby down but today I will try again with the laundry. I think he is ready for a bit of independence. My house is highly-baby proofed because there the recent baby walked at 10 months.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:58 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,961 times
I've left my son on his own in another room, but on the same floor, from probably about 2.5, provided it was safe and would check in on him every few minutes. From about 3 he was fine getting up in the morning and going downstairs to play or watch cartoons before we got up - I got his breakfast and then snoozed for a bit more. Of course anything dangerous was out of reach, etc. If he needed anything, he'd come and get us.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:59 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally agree. That 5 year post sort of inspired me to respond to this thread. My children were left alone for brief periods of time since the day they were born. I can't imagine a life, for parent or child, of dragging a child from room to room while doing chores.
My 5 year old recently insists he is afraid to be left alone (apparently we have a monster infestation), and it completely drives me nuts. He has to go with me wherever I go - especially annoying when I'm getting ready for work/school and have to run up and down the stairs, or when I'm trying to do laundry (carrying it up and down or from room to room to put away), or anything else that involves moving around the house. It could drive a person insane, seriously, so I can't imagine willingly doing it (and with a possibly unwilling child). You just can't live like that.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I think 4 is easily old enough for 15 minutes of folding laundry in the same house in another room. Heck my kids old were playing outside for 1-2 hours ALONE in a fenced-in area while I was inside when they were 2 & 4 years old.
2 seems awfully young to be outside by themselves.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
2 seems awfully young to be outside by themselves.
Again everything is relative. Depends on how large the fenced in area is, what else is out there with him (dogs? water, sticks,holes, tools) can he be seen from a window, etc. We have to realize while we want our little ones to be safe we cannot be hoovering over them 24/7. It's not healthy for the kids or the parents. Common sense should come into play. At age 2 my kids were left outside in fenced in area while I used the bathroom, answered the phone (before cells) or when they might have been eager to get on the swings 5-10 minutes before I could get out there. Believe me I was a nervous nellie mother and took no risks but I realized they needed a bit of independence and it could help in building confidence.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:20 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times
I stick my 2 year old out in the garden if we're at someone's house who has a garden, she's not the kind of kid to venture out on the road though, if she was then I'd be more vigilant. I just keep half an eye out the window on her or send her older friend out to play with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting