Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally agree. That 5 year post sort of inspired me to respond to this thread. My children were left alone for brief periods of time since the day they were born. I can't imagine a life, for parent or child, of dragging a child from room to room while doing chores.
Ditto. In the crib in their room while I worked in another, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,800,364 times
Yea, definitely depends on the child. My son I could probably have left for two hours at that age and he would be fine. My daughter however liked to find trouble!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,937,561 times
My daughter is 4 and has developmental delay. Maybe not autism, but similar. I have no problem with leaving her downstairs while I am upstairs, or vice versa. I also let her play in the fenced backyard alone if I am downstairs with the windows open so that I could hear if she cried out. I would not let her play alone in the front yard or in the street yet (ie on bikes), though we have neighbors with 4 year olds who do allow this.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,236,311 times
I would not put 2 year old outside without a fenced in area. they can't think about repercussions like darting out in traffic to chase a ball or kitty or dog. that just sounds too risky.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,857,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Thanks all. My son is 4. I could bring him into the room, it's just sometimes he prefers to continue playing in the playroom whiel I do chores. I have a 12 month old who stays with me obviously.
I had to really think as I never thought about this before. My whole house was childproofed and if they walk, they walked all over the house as they want. I would often be in the kitchen cooking and them in the living area or in their rooms. I stopped taking them with me everywhere if they could walk, so 2ish? And the windows/doors were securely locked as well. I would not let them outside at that age unattended.

Is this the one with Autism? Depending on the severity of it and how willing they are to obey/remember rules, I would think 4 would be okay but you know your child best.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,514,405 times
Depends on the kid.
Depends on the layout of the house.

My kid 23 months is a very active climber.
So not very long. I have walked into a room seconds behind him to find he is perched precariously high somewhere.

Sometimes we are in the kitchen and he will run off with a dog into the formal living...but they usually thunder back into the kitchen within 30 seconds.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,444,306 times
Quote:
For example, leaving a child downstairs in the TV room while you are upstairs folding laundry? 10-15 minutes or so, without being able to hear them (unless they go to the bottom of the stairs and yell).

Thanks for opinions.
my 3 year old (now 4) is fine by himself as we go upstairs. Always same building.

Hell, if we aren't up he gets up and goes downstairs. . .by himself.

he has never done anything to make us think he wasn't capable.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:42 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,200,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally agree. That 5 year post sort of inspired me to respond to this thread. My children were left alone for brief periods of time since the day they were born. I can't imagine a life, for parent or child, of dragging a child from room to room while doing chores.
This. My kids are two and four and can be left alone throughout the house. They frequently play in their playroom in the basement while I'm doing things upstairs.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,523,853 times
Kids vary so much in their maturity and at what age you can trust them alone. I have 4 children and 2 of them I would have been able to trust alone for a short period of time at age 4 and 2 of them I couldn't. No one knows him better than you, so it is you than can best judge if he is mature enough to be left alone like that.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,049,798 times
Quote:
Thanks all. My son is 4. I could bring him into the room, it's just sometimes he prefers to continue playing in the playroom whiel I do chores. I have a 12 month old who stays with me obviously.
If your 4yr old is a healthy and normal child, that is old enough. Honestly, even if you had your 4yr old with you the whole time, you wouldn't be watching him anyways. Can't believe there are people talking about no earlier than 5yrs old on this thread. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting