Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:56 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,760,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You're not listening. Some schools check lap tops out to students to use. Some don't. Some use google docs. Some don't. Some schools still use paper, and don't require a computer at all. You wouldn't be asking the school how to spend your money. You would be asking what kind of device would be the most useful.

I haven't seen where you told us how old your kid(s) are. Don't you have a kindergartner? Does the kindergartner really need a computer? Any reason she can't just use yours? Do you think what you buy now is going to last until middle school? Doubtful.
AGREED!

I suggested to ask your child's teacher if they will be required to type any papers this year or next, not what device to buy. I also suggested a lap top as that is the most economical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,952,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You're not listening. Some schools check lap tops out to students to use. Some don't. Some use google docs. Some don't. Some schools still use paper, and don't require a computer at all. You wouldn't be asking the school how to spend your money. You would be asking what kind of device would be the most useful.

I haven't seen where you told us how old your kid(s) are. Don't you have a kindergartner? Does the kindergartner really need a computer? Any reason she can't just use yours? Do you think what you buy now is going to last until middle school? Doubtful.

Kindergartner? If this is true, the child doesn't need one yet. s/he just need access to computer at home.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:47 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,773,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Couple questions.

1. What year does a typical student need to start using a computer for assignments?

2. Is there any reason a desktop would not work well for a student during K-12 years, with emphasis on K-9?

I'm strongly leaning toward desktop for my kiddos as I don't want them hauling their computer around everywhere, desktops last longer, and no batteries to have to replace.
You are looking to buy a single computer that will last 13 years? For multiple children?

Do you still own and use a 13 yo computer? Our district gets the teachers new laptops every 4 years, and then recycles/upgrades the old ones for students to borrow when they are ill or behind on work.

Anyway, if you are needing such a long time scale device than you really should go for a desktop as that is more likely to be able to be upgraded in terms of processor or memory.

But in all honesty, I think it is odd to buy something that is so reliant on fast changing technology and expect it to last through K-12.

For younger kids, the family desktop would work fine, for older kids, a laptop is the way to go but that has just been my experience.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 AM

501 posts, read 935,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are looking to buy a single computer that will last 13 years? For multiple children?

Do you still own and use a 13 yo computer? Our district gets the teachers new laptops every 4 years, and then recycles/upgrades the old ones for students to borrow when they are ill or behind on work.

Anyway, if you are needing such a long time scale device than you really should go for a desktop as that is more likely to be able to be upgraded in terms of processor or memory.

But in all honesty, I think it is odd to buy something that is so reliant on fast changing technology and expect it to last through K-12.

For younger kids, the family desktop would work fine, for older kids, a laptop is the way to go but that has just been my experience.
I think 13 years is a bit long but my last computer lasted ~10 years before I finally sat down and replaced it. I upgraded the hard drive and memory along the way but put very little money into it.

Maybe 6 - 8 years for a child's computer would be nice, so maybe 2 computers over their schooling time. Then get them a brand new one for college years.

Computers can last a long time these days.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,952,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I think 13 years is a bit long but my last computer lasted ~10 years before I finally sat down and replaced it. I upgraded the hard drive and memory along the way but put very little money into it.

Maybe 6 - 8 years for a child's computer would be nice, so maybe 2 computers over their schooling time. Then get them a brand new one for college years.

Computers can last a long time these days.

Wrong!

Computers for consumers these days are just a plastic shell with a few hardware to house the OS. They don't put better long lasting parts in there. The bulk of the cost on cheap computers is the OS. Upgrading computer makes very little sense these days unless you are the type that is chasing the newest stuff.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,765,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Wrong!

Computers for consumers these days are just a plastic shell with a few hardware to house the OS. They don't put better long lasting parts in there. The bulk of the cost on cheap computers is the OS. Upgrading computer makes very little sense these days unless you are the type that is chasing the newest stuff.

Not necessarily wrong. You don't know what kind of computer buyer he is. I build my own desktop computers, and I build computers for my family and children. I make sure to get quality parts (not the crap from Best Buy), and my computers easily last 10 years, with periodic part replacements like power supplies, video cards, maybe some RAM and a new OS.

My 7 year old daughter is currently using a desktop that was originally built over 12 years ago (top of the line gaming machine at the time). Same motherboard, processor, RAM, and case. New power supply, video card, and OS. Still works great. It's a little laggy in Warcraft, but she's 7. It can handle all of her school assignments with no problems. Internet Explorer is not exactly a resource hog.

To the OP - if you are this kind of computer buyer, then if I were you I'd put together something with old parts to hold your kid over for now. When they are older, then shell out the bucks for new stuff that will last them a while. And given your screenname - twoincomes - I want to again reiterate the advice for an iPad (refurbished is fine). For those of us with both parents working and kids in school, our absolute most valuable commodity is time. When your kid gets home at 6:30, and bedtime's at 8:30, you need most of that homework to be done already in aftercare, and the rest of it gets done while eating dinner. There's no time to go sit in the computer room doing homework on a weeknight.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:33 AM

358 posts, read 712,067 times
The kids might be able to figure this one out on their own. Just sayin'.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM

245 posts, read 198,091 times
My son is in first grade. His school has an app and his teacher assigns extra assignments he can do on his ipad.
My laptop is very expensive and my son is not aloud to touch it. He can use my husbands. Or more than likely we will buy a house desktop.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
I would go with a Netbook or Chromebook, only a few hundred and has all they need.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,314,645 times
My kids each have a laptop (they are in middle school) that they use at home for school and fun. School work is tied to a google account specifically created for students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting