Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM

501 posts, read 932,963 times

Advertisements

Thanks all.

I really enjoyed hearing all of the chatter about computers. The purpose of this thread was to generate conversation because I wanted to hear how computers were used in school today and that it did. It was not because I am going to run out and make a decision based on what I have read here.

But there are a couple decisions that I was able to make:

1) Regardless of district policy, our children will not be taking our laptops to school to work on school projects while in class. The responsibility of providing technology like laptops for use during class belongs to the district. Our district teaches everyone, including homeless youth, so they can't possibly require everyone to have a laptop. No way are we spending our money for something to be used at school.

2) Chromebooks seem like an interesting option. I will investigate further.

3) Still leaning toward desktop.

4) No tablet as primary computer for us. But perhaps one as an accessory computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 216 times
That's so useful to know!

Old 10-29-2021, 03:27 AM

21 posts, read 12,870 times
Yes the current generation is at the benefit of getting knowledge in a finger tip. It has lots of pros and cons, therefore I don't prefer granting a personal gadget to them now. But I will consider when I feel its the right time for them to own one!

Old 10-29-2021, 07:59 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Couple questions.

1. What year does a typical student need to start using a computer for assignments?

2. Is there any reason a desktop would not work well for a student during K-12 years, with emphasis on K-9?

I'm strongly leaning toward desktop for my kiddos as I don't want them hauling their computer around everywhere, desktops last longer, and no batteries to have to replace.
Laptops with a docking station were our approach. Monitor, keyboard, mouse at home, but option to travel with it. It has worked well. My children never took laptops to school as the school gave them a chromebook. But we limit chromebook to school work and anything person is on their privately owned laptops. I do the same in my life. I have a laptop for my professional work but a separate laptop for my personal life. Obviously finances impact this, but do the best you can. I think laptops are more practical, but opinions vary.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
I have such a problem. The boy needs a new laptop for university, and we have no idea where to buy it or order it better, so it is of good quality and will last for many years. We do not have experts in the family, and we have to search on different sites, but none of them can give us a concrete model. But at least we already know where to get the laptop case https://www.amadablam.uk/product/sty...ap-top-sleeve/ because we took it from them several times and we liked the quality, however, that it is from the internet. If we could find a site like this with computers, that would be great.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:10 PM

835 posts, read 475,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
No way are we spending our money for something to be used at school.
I know this thread is close to half a decade old but I had to respond to this lunacy in particular. Do you also send your kid without pencils or school supplies as the “school is supposed to provide those things?” On another thread you mention that you make well above $150k a year, so it’s not like you’re counting pennies. Holy peanuts the entitlement of some parents is simply amazing and outrageous at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting