Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 12:42 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,214,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysthelimit89 View Post
That’s cute, my cat litter bags tear open easily and so does their bag of food.
The only knife I have that important is my hook knife and that stays in its pouch in the leg strap of my skydiving rig and has never even been used while jumping because I haven’t had the need for it thankfully. If you’re skydiving and you have to pull your hook knife out I hope you have good health insurance because chances are you’re gonna be in the ICU.
Neither of mine (litter, food) do. They are tough weaves and it is far easier to cut through next to the top than to struggle with their "easy open".

Interesting enough, the first college I went to? They issued each and every one of us a KABAR rigging knife https://www.americanedgeknives.com/k...ng-knife-1121/
which I had for many years......until it got stolen out of my provost marshal office one night.

But, as I said, different views of knives across all walks of life.

Thanks all, the gifts are given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 12:47 PM

3,175 posts, read 2,750,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As far as practicality and usefulness, well, to me, knives are not only very useful but also rather essential. I mean, how often do I pull my buck knife out? At least about every 3rd day to open a bag of kitty litter.
A 40# bag of kitty every 3 days?! You must have a metric ton of cats.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,297,002 times
So you gave gifts that YOU like, not what a young adult needs. Ok.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
A 40# bag of kitty every 3 days?! You must have a metric ton of cats.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.
In reverse order.....THANK YOU!

Then, not #40 but #25. 7 Cats, 5 bins, two coffee mugfuls each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
So you gave gifts that YOU like, not what a young adult needs. Ok.
Well, that's an interesting way of looking at things for are not the older suppose to know better, having been there themselves, what the younger need?

Old 06-07-2021, 02:01 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,897,940 times
Cash....the gift that, while universally liked, always gets exchanged for something else.

You can never go wrong with cash.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:15 PM

741 posts, read 458,566 times
Bitcoin. Wait! it's too expensive now :-)

I stopped stressing myself out to think of a meaningful gift that my nieces an nephews would appreciate. I've started giving them cash gifts since they became teenagers. It can be birthdays, Christmas, graduations eventually weddings. I do the same for my teenage kid, unless I know there's an item she really wants to get.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,366,691 times
Kids want cash. Cash always fits. It is never placed in a drawer and forgotten.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Kids want cash. Cash always fits. It is never placed in a drawer and forgotten.
We-ll..........

Way back in high school, in the times of big hair and Ford Mustangs, my parents got me a checking account. Why? I was very thrifty, I never spent my money, I had something like $170 in cash in my dresser.

My younger brother, however, was not so thrifty and borrowed at least once from my stash without telling me. My parents found out, punished him, put all my cash in a bank account they started for me.

So, not all kids, not all the time. I can't say for my niece and nephews. I probably have only met them once or twice, once in swaddling cloth, so I don't know what they like, what their interests are.

As it is, silver dollars are what I've been giving for many years to people, for college graduations.

One other thing. I suspect the reason why I was put in charge of the family finances is because when it comes to money, I don't spent it. Not only can I not say the same about my brothers but that quality that my father held me high for is what he gritted his teeth over with them.

Cutting to the chase, what do we teach children if we are always giving them money?

Old 06-07-2021, 03:14 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,114,485 times
When my mom graduated from 8th grade, my grandpa gave her a gold ring, with a ruby, and a spinet on each side. She wasn't expecting it, and she cherished the ring her dad gave her. I always liked to look through her jewelry box when I was a kid, and I always liked the ring, and the story that went with it, so my mom gave it to me.

I can see how a material thing can have sentimental value to the graduate, and it gives some gravitas to the life event. So...I'm not so sure a graduating young man wouldn't appreciate a nice knife. And OP, maybe when your niece graduates, you can give her pearls. I think that's a traditional thing for female graduates, and I'd bet she'd appreciate them.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:57 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,297,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
We-ll..........

Way back in high school, in the times of big hair and Ford Mustangs, my parents got me a checking account. Why? I was very thrifty, I never spent my money, I had something like $170 in cash in my dresser.

My younger brother, however, was not so thrifty and borrowed at least once from my stash without telling me. My parents found out, punished him, put all my cash in a bank account they started for me.

So, not all kids, not all the time. I can't say for my niece and nephews. I probably have only met them once or twice, once in swaddling cloth, so I don't know what they like, what their interests are.

As it is, silver dollars are what I've been giving for many years to people, for college graduations.

One other thing. I suspect the reason why I was put in charge of the family finances is because when it comes to money, I don't spent it. Not only can I not say the same about my brothers but that quality that my father held me high for is what he gritted his teeth over with them.

Cutting to the chase, what do we teach children if we are always giving them money?
Its 2021.

You don't really know them.

You were put in charge of finances but you cant afford a gift?

They are not your children so no lesson necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting