Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 04:27 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,043,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Pffft. Not giving cash .
They can have a memorable gift.
Drafting desk for my grandson. He'll be doing architect .

He can earn money thru out life. Even get a job for that green stuff.

But a draftng table ...is a life filled with challenging and rewarding skills. He'll thank me in 20 years. For now he'll scoff and think why did that ole bitty get me that.
How old is he now?

Is he even considering architecture or engineering?

I bought myself a drafting table in college, loved it, but hated lugging it from apartment to apartment.

WHat's with oldsters giving gifts with an underlying "lesson"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 05:14 PM

15,673 posts, read 15,824,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"to go out in the world and make my way.". The Godfather smiles at the youth and hands them a 1911.

It's graduation time and while I don't have children, I do have nieces and nephews and the associated like. When it comes to giving graduation gifts, I am traditional with things like silver, kitchen basics, and Swiss Army knives.

BUT.....am I starting my niece on the world of knives that might eventually end up with drawers of them, where so many things that leave the house have some kind of blade included?

Stepping back a little and asking a grand question, as parents, what do you prefer....and not prefer....to see given as graduation gifts from relatives?

You're omitting a crucial bit of information: Is this high school or college graduation?

No on the knife.

No on kitchen basics. That's for a house-warming present.

No on silver - wait, do you mean jewelry or flatware?

It should be something that looks forward to their future life and career. Or something commemorative (like a book) or decorative (jewelry).

Old 06-08-2021, 05:59 PM

13,304 posts, read 8,542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
How old is he now?

Is he even considering architecture or engineering?

I bought myself a drafting table in college, loved it, but hated lugging it from apartment to apartment.

WHat's with oldsters giving gifts with an underlying "lesson"?
I think of it as a life tangible gift.

Heirloom gifts.

My grandson will keep the architect desk in his campus apartment. No lugging. It's a piece of home so to speak.

He will be in commercial/urban architect for his college courses.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:22 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,180,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You're omitting a crucial bit of information: Is this high school or college graduation?

No on the knife.

No on kitchen basics. That's for a house-warming present.

No on silver - wait, do you mean jewelry or flatware?

It should be something that looks forward to their future life and career. Or something commemorative (like a book) or decorative (jewelry).

Immaterial to me for graduation this or graduation that, I give the same things.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,290,471 times
Quote:
I think of it as a life tangible gift.

Heirloom gifts.

My grandson will keep the architect desk in his campus apartment. No lugging. It's a piece of home so to speak.

He will be in commercial/urban architect for his college courses.
You do understand drafting desks are barely used anymore. Its called computers.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,901,514 times
Quote:
Pffft. Not giving cash .
They can have a memorable gift.
Drafting desk for my grandson. He'll be doing architect .

He can earn money thru out life. Even get a job for that green stuff.

But a draftng table ...is a life filled with challenging and rewarding skills. He'll thank me in 20 years. For now he'll scoff and think why did that ole bitty get me that.
Yeah, he can use that drafting table to hold the laptop on which he does his CAD assignments. Tough to get in his backpack though.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:39 AM

13,304 posts, read 8,542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You do understand drafting desks are barely used anymore. Its called computers.
I'm Aware that when an architect has to remit his work to the planning commission it's still in paper form. Thank you though for thinking you enlightened my being.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:22 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,290,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yeah, he can use that drafting table to hold the laptop on which he does his CAD assignments. Tough to get in his backpack though.
Exactly but clearly people give gifts THEY want.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:29 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,180,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
........No on kitchen basics. That's for a house-warming present........
Round two: the kitchen basics I gave, oh maybe a score ago, were a set of 4 or 6 matching coffee mugs, useful things no matter where you go, when you are.

One thing I found out about when I was thinking to give in house warming a ladle (because no one seems to ever have them) is...........that those who don't have them, use a coffee mug.

I suppose in those first adult years, when .... "This is for all you girls about twenty five, In little apartments just tryin' to get by, Livin' on on dreams and spaghetti-o's"....... a good cook book might be a nice secondary gift. We might say, "Well, if they want a cook book, they would buy one," but cooking for one's self is something a lot of people have absolutely no clue about for most people are raised on eating out.....and paying at least 3X as much for it.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 AM

10,144 posts, read 6,528,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Round two: the kitchen basics I gave, oh maybe a score ago, were a set of 4 or 6 matching coffee mugs, useful things no matter where you go, when you are.

One thing I found out about when I was thinking to give in house warming a ladle (because no one seems to ever have them) is...........that those who don't have them, use a coffee mug.

I suppose in those first adult years, when .... "This is for all you girls about twenty five, In little apartments just tryin' to get by, Livin' on on dreams and spaghetti-o's"....... a good cook book might be a nice secondary gift. We might say, "Well, if they want a cook book, they would buy one," but cooking for one's self is something a lot of people have absolutely no clue about for most people are raised on eating out.....and paying at least 3X as much for it.
I have to disagree. I love cook books and I still have my Mom's old ones. I even buy really old ones at yard sales sometimes, but I buy them as collectibles to read the old recipes. But if I am looking up a recipe I do it online. I honestly can't believe any young person today would actually use a cook book, whether for themselves or others. They use their iPhone apps.

BTW, I never used a coffee mug as a ladle either. I always substituted a tablespoon in a pinch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting