Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 01:48 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,170,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
According to science and medicine that condition has no relevance to weight and height.
No, but it might have relevance to being able to easily perceive oneself as the smallest kid in a classroom. With that said, I believe (OP can correct me) that the blind child is the toddler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 01:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,254,137 times
Default See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleymom1990 View Post
That’s a great story. Do you happen to remember what your son’s shoe size was back in eighth grade?
Shoe size was 10

Old 12-21-2021, 02:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 680,900 times
Quote:
He wants to know how he compares to other boys around his age.
He can see how he compares, though, right?

I still don't get what the "interesting question" was.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,240,088 times
At 12 my son was just under 5 feet and about 75 lbs. At 17, he's around 6'2" and 135 lbs.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:26 PM

22,271 posts, read 19,263,570 times
my son has always been short and yes he stayed short.

my son is short for his age and always has been. his younger brothers (two years younger than he is) have been taller than him since about 7th grade. They still are, and now they are all in their mid-30s.

At times this bothered him. He was in tears one day in middle school because he said he "wanted to play basketball." Typically we would remind him of all the things he could do well: math, science, art, metal shop, computers, making money (he profited no end off of his classmates and various business ideas he put into practice). We would also tell him things like Bill Gates mother wanted him to take dance lessons, and he turned out fine. we pointed out (and his younger brother corroborated) that his younger brother decided to do athletics so that girls would like him, and although he was good at it (he did track and field, the coach encouraged him to continue) after a season he said it was "way too much work." that's a hilarious family story. even my eldest son the short one had to admit that was a drawback he hadn't considered. we are all on the sedentary side truth be told. this was a kid who said philisophically that going to the zoo was fun except you "had to walk around to get to see the animals."

Well in high school he hit his stride and has been fine ever since. He's been earning a ton of money on his own since high school. He is the only person i know who during the course of university actually made money instead of going into debt. He bought a house recently and makes more money than anyone on either side of the family ever made. He married a high achieving shorter-than-he-is person (yes there are actually women who wear those size 2 clothes which i swore no one could possibly wear since i swear was born a size 12) who is brilliant and does some kind of optical engineering.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:43 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,980,196 times
My son is 12 and in 7th grade. He's about 5' and 100 lbs. He wears a size 6 shoe.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:03 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,459,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I can remember standing next to the refrigerator - it was Christmas - our son was in 8th grade.
He and I were the exact same height 5'5"

By the following June, he had just turned 14 and he was 6'3' almost overnight.

My husband is 6'2" almost 6'3" and always complained about his size 13 foot. Could never find shoes.

Well, it was so nice all of a sudden to have a nice tall son who ended up being a size 14 shoe. My husband can't argue that any more since it's a normal size now.

Our daughter is also tall 5'10' - I'm the shorty.
I remember I had the same Spanish teacher in 7th and 8th grade. She didn't normally teach 8th grade but staffing/scheduling changes meant she did. I remember her saying to the class the first day "I don't normally like to teach 8th grade Spanish," and she gave a few reasons, but what I notably remember is "by the end of the year many of my students will be taller than me." She was somewhat short but nothing you'd take notice of.

Quote:
He wants to know how he compares to other boys around his age.
Per the CDC, he's slightly taller than average, but within a height that one would say is typical for his age.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:23 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Please, check with your pediatrician before reassuring a child they'll grow out of it and catch up. It's not always true.
Spoken as the parent of an adult son who checks in at 5'4" and 115lbs who lives a successful and happy life.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:48 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
On my son's 12th birthday, he stood 5'0". (This I know because we keep a growth chart on the wall.) I don't recall his weight, but he's always been on the lighter side. He had a growth spurt that year, so when he turned 13 he was 5'4". He bumped up another two inches up to age 14, and then still another two inches up to age 15, his current age. He seems to be two or three inches shorter than his same-age peers, at least the ones I've seen.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:47 PM

2,610 posts, read 2,196,466 times
Doctors can tell if they, boys or girls, have reached their maximum height by whether their growth plate has fused, in a leg bone. From what I've seen most boys don't reach their maximum height until high school. As is typical in my family, on my mom's side, the boys don't reach their maximum height until around 18, late bloomers I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting