Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 07:31 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Ok I get it- college isn't for everyone.

I was raised to believe that you can gain a lot of knowledge whether its at a 4 year, 2 year school, that its a time from growing one's mind. My parents installed in me that you should go to college-- even if you don't want to work in an office and rather use your hands. To this day I still agree.

When you have kids you begin to realize nothing is ever as you plan...lol. My son is 19 and really does not like school. I wish he appreciated learning on an educational sense but really doesn't like it. He wants to be a pilot-- hereditary from my wife's family (its in my FIL's blood). Its his passion. He started college last fall at a university in another state-- and didn't do well. He doesn't like to learn or read, unless its about piloting. Which is fine but you still need at least an AA degree to be a pilot at the commercial level. I'm trying not to worry about it but I just find it frustrating that he's not really interested in college. I'd be fine with the military as well, but he hasn't shown much interest there either.

I know one day he will be a pilot, its his dream and passion. I just wish he had more interest in learning in general. Am I a bad parent? Any thoughts?
He is 19. He is not a kid. I respectfully disagree completely about college. I think it is a waste of time and money for most people. Tell him to get a job, start paying rent, decide what he wants to do and make him do it. If he wants to be a pilot, he will decide what he needs to do. I will say that there is a lot of piloting that has nothing to do with flying for a large passenger airline. You do not need a degree for most of it. But the important thing for him and you to figure out is that this is all on him, not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 11:36 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Ok I get it- college isn't for everyone.

I was raised to believe that you can gain a lot of knowledge whether its at a 4 year, 2 year school, that its a time from growing one's mind. My parents installed in me that you should go to college-- even if you don't want to work in an office and rather use your hands. To this day I still agree.

When you have kids you begin to realize nothing is ever as you plan...lol. My son is 19 and really does not like school. I wish he appreciated learning on an educational sense but really doesn't like it. He wants to be a pilot-- hereditary from my wife's family (its in my FIL's blood). Its his passion. He started college last fall at a university in another state-- and didn't do well. He doesn't like to learn or read, unless its about piloting. Which is fine but you still need at least an AA degree to be a pilot at the commercial level. I'm trying not to worry about it but I just find it frustrating that he's not really interested in college. I'd be fine with the military as well, but he hasn't shown much interest there either.

I know one day he will be a pilot, its his dream and passion. I just wish he had more interest in learning in general. Am I a bad parent? Any thoughts?
1. You are not a bad parent. You cannot force your son to be interested in anything that he is not.

2.You are right that to be a pilot he will need at LEAST as associate degree. That will involve some liberal arts and social science.

3.I don't know what college he attempted, but there are specialized colleges in aviation. Embry Riddle in Daytona FL comes to mind. Here is a link. - https://daytonabeach.erau.edu/
I think aircraft maintenance only requires a certificate.

4. I am surprised that he is not interested in the Military - particularly the Airforce. Admission to the AF is competitive and again, if he doesn't want it, he's not going to do well.

My nephew started college. He didn't do well, but he is thriving in the US Navy. While you cannot force kids to develop a passion for something that they do not have, you cangive them a choice. Basically, that was what my sister,BIL, her older son and I did with my nephew.

He was told that playing video games and working on and off at low paying jobs were NOT an option.

We offered The Merchant Marine Academy, any branch of the military, or a trade school. He chose the Navy.

Perhaps that is what you need to do. If he REALLY wants to be in aviation, he might have to "suffer" through four classes that he doesn't like. He doesn't need to love them. He just needs to pass with a C or better.

THEN he gets to do what he wants.

PS I would NEVER suggest an online program to a student who is so young.

And once again - You are not a BAD PARENT. If you were, you wouldn't be posting here.

PS -Here is another very career focused school that offers diploma programs and associate degrees - he may find something here. - https://www.unoh.edu/future-students...s-offered.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting