Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 12:30 PM

9,469 posts, read 5,242,150 times

Advertisements

Advise him you have to work all this stuff around your schedule and if he does it in one fell swoop, it's over and done with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 04:25 AM

12 posts, read 7,301 times
Sounds like a lot for one day.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 11,560,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgwyther View Post
Sounds like a lot for one day.
Huh? Haircut - one hour max. Glasses - OP said he’s already picked out the frames, so this must be just to pick them up and get adjusted for his face. 30 minutes. Braces - 2 hours.

Kid will be back in school soon, what’s that 6 hours a day? I think he’ll survive this “makeover.”

Old 08-15-2022, 05:16 AM

Depends on the child.
My eldest would hate all this and if every thing is an ordeal then it is a choice whether to get it all over in one go or slowly do 1 at a time.
I see the dilemma.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:17 AM

4,543 posts, read 2,698,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
So in other words, snap out of it? What an unsympathetic response.

OP, these ARE big changes all at once for a 12-year-old. I think you need to acknowledge his feelings. Something like, "I know. This is a lot all at once. I get how you're feeling."

Help him look at it rationally. The haircut has to be done -- school rules. And all the other boys who follow the school rules will have short haircuts. The glasses are for six months, then contacts, but only if you wear the glasses all the time for six months. And braces? Yeah, they suck. There's no getting around that. But they are necessary to maintain dental health.

Give him hugs. Being 12 is miserable enough as it is, without all these big changes.
"Big changes all at once for a 12 year old"? "Give him hungs"?

Come on. In two years he'll be eligible for two-a-days. In five and a half years he'll be eligible for boot camp.

Yes, he should snap out of it. The hugs and kisses and oh you poor baby stuff is appropriate for a five year old not a twelve year old.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:32 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
It's not so much about the haircut making him look dorky (to his way of thinking), because of course, the other kids will look the same. Kids, especially at that age, can have an emotional attachment to their longer hair. True of girls, too. In the tween years, they're starting to form an identity, and their hairstyle choice is a part of that. I'm still wondering about whether this school is the only option for him. Is this about better academics than in the local public schools? Smaller class size? Better college prep in highschool? Are there no other choices among private schools in the area?

Does he like his school? Or is it a parental choice?

Old 08-16-2022, 12:13 PM

What you going to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting