Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 09:50 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My mom used to say, they're all smart until they go to school. lol......
To me this means something different. Kids learn like crazy until they get to school and the schools beat them all down into the same level and force all behavior to conform. Creativity is discouraged and sometimes punished. The schools want well behaved little cogs in the wheel, not innovators and thinkers. If there are 25 kids in a class, there is no room for the independent thinker or the child who wishes to forge ahead or to focus more time on a special interest.

The class all has to move at the same pace and the really smart kids are soon bored, sometimes bored to the point that they turn off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 10:24 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
Genius level at least.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:40 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
To me this means something different. Kids learn like crazy until they get to school and the schools beat them all down into the same level and force all behavior to conform. Creativity is discouraged and sometimes punished. The schools want well behaved little cogs in the wheel, not innovators and thinkers. If there are 25 kids in a class, there is no room for the independent thinker or the child who wishes to forge ahead or to focus more time on a special interest.

The class all has to move at the same pace and the really smart kids are soon bored, sometimes bored to the point that they turn off.
I tend to agree with you here. Not sure what else we can do about it. There are different types of schools for people who want different types of learning (montessori) but those tend to cost quite a bit of money that not everyone has.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:40 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaniesmith77 View Post
I just wonder because I don’t have kids. He is just so funny and seems extra smart but maybe it’s normal. He will be 3 in August. I was telling him how there was a toy missing for a long time and the dog found it. He said to me “it was under the couch”. I just thought it was so smart that he understood what I was saying. A few months ago we were at a restaurant. They gave him a toy from. “Treasure chest”. A few weeks later when we were there he asked about the “treasure chest”. He knows the alphabet. He knows all colors and animals. He usually knows when someone is joking with him. Maybe it’s normal intelligence but I like to witness it.
At that age my daughter was conversing in complete sentences.
She's very smart.
She was in trouble constantly from the time she was 12. Arrested, sneaking out at night, sneaking boys in, pregnant twice in high school (), clashes at high school, poor quality friends. She has had husbands I did not meet and children she did not raise. An internet search showed her as a fraud who impersonates a nurse even though she is not one (we couldn't get her to go to college). We have been lied to, lied about, defrauded, manipulated and embarrassed almost continuously. She simply ran circles around the psychologists as she manipulated them, too. She even threatened to kill her friend's mother if she told on her; she was 18.

I haven't heard from her in years.

But yeah. She's real smart.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:34 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think pre school/toddler kids appear very smart because their learning is starting from virtually zero. They are learning all the time. It doesn't mean they are unusual.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:11 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think pre school/toddler kids appear very smart because their learning is starting from virtually zero. They are learning all the time. It doesn't mean they are unusual.
This. Have you ever heard someone say of a preschooler “that kid is as dumb as a rock”?

Old 05-13-2023, 10:50 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This. Have you ever heard someone say of a preschooler “that kid is as dumb as a rock”?
lol no but I think some parents do worry when their kid isn't walking, talking or reading by a certain age.

Old 05-13-2023, 12:53 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
lol no but I think some parents do worry when their kid isn't walking, talking or reading by a certain age.
My FIL did not talk until he was two years old, at which point he used complete sentences and had something worth saying.

And, yes, he was very smart!

Old 05-16-2023, 01:45 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My FIL did not talk until he was two years old, at which point he used complete sentences and had something worth saying.

And, yes, he was very smart!
Oh two seems to be a pretty normal age to start speaking. I know kids who didn't speak until they were 3 or even 4.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:19 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Sounds like a great little guy, and you can think he's smarter than the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting