Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 11:46 AM

6,478 posts, read 7,829,802 times

Advertisements

I think some of it (not all of it) is the parents. When my kids were in grade school, the parents were all over the teachers - hounding them to no end about every little thing. Would not surprise me one bit if Mr. Appleseed gave Susie all A's and perfect scores for everything because he knew Suzie's parents would be all over him so he did it just to keep Suzie parents off his back.

I would not fault him. Some parents are whack jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 12:26 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,689,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I'm wondering if schools just grade easier now or whats up, but everyone I grew up with seems to have kids on the honor roll. Even kids from parents who weren't that bright. I have a friend I grew up with who was not bright in all ways and I don't think the women he married is either, yet their kids all seem to make really great grades. I'm wondering if its just coincidences or if schools give out A's easier now or if the next generation of kids is just smarter for some reason?
I agree, I think there as been a concerted move to have a more lenient grading policy in our public school district. The number of honor roll and National Honor Society members has skyrocketed over the 22 years our five children have attended. I'm guessing the change in policy has a number of roots: equity, aggressive helicopter parents, the phasing out of standardized testing for college applicants.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 683,874 times
The American IQ has been falling for a decade.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:48 PM

37,736 posts, read 46,191,696 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if schools just grade easier now or whats up, but everyone I grew up with seems to have kids on the honor roll. Even kids from parents who weren't that bright. I have a friend I grew up with who was not bright in all ways and I don't think the women he married is either, yet their kids all seem to make really great grades. I'm wondering if its just coincidences or if schools give out A's easier now or if the next generation of kids is just smarter for some reason?
Smarter??? LOL. I'd say the opposite is true.

Schools have been dumbing down for a decade now. It's disgraceful.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:23 PM

24,804 posts, read 9,578,065 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if its just coincidences or if schools give out A's easier now or if the next generation of kids is just smarter for some reason?
Kids are not smarter, but they do have endless access to apps, AI, homework sites, tutor sites, school rating sites, teacher rating sites, etc. that will do all their work for them.

LOL at smarter. America's kids are getting more fat, lazy, and stupid by the day.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:58 PM

16,755 posts, read 8,485,502 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Kids are not smarter, but they do have endless access to apps, AI, homework sites, tutor sites, school rating sites, teacher rating sites, etc. that will do all their work for them.

LOL at smarter. America's kids are getting more fat, lazy, and stupid by the day.
I have been impressed by some of the linkedin accounts i've seen of kids still in college. Based on their online presence they don't appear to be fat, lazy or stupid. I also think social media presence and what people are actually really doing can be deceiving/misleading. But either way there are some college kids doing a lot more than I did in college so it seems.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:49 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,163,408 times
Rather than blame the system the real culprit in my opinion are the parents. In many schools the PTA barely functions due to disinterested parents and parent-teacher conferences are difficult to schedule and then once accomplished, it's all about how their little precious is being unfairly treated by the system. Parents no longer effectively discipline and leave it up to the teachers, who have enough to deal with minus molding your kids into proper citizens. Then of course there's the category of "special needs" which seemingly encompasses half the school population and instead of catering to those truly in need is diluted with unnecessary enrollment due to helicopter parents insisting their kids are unique/special. It's truly little wonder so many teachers are bailing on the profession.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:50 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Rather than blame the system the real culprit in my opinion are the parents. In many schools the PTA barely functions due to disinterested parents and parent-teacher conferences are difficult to schedule and then once accomplished, it's all about how their little precious is being unfairly treated by the system. Parents no longer effectively discipline and leave it up to the teachers, who have enough to deal with minus molding your kids into proper citizens. Then of course there's the category of "special needs" which seemingly encompasses half the school population and instead of catering to those truly in need is diluted with unnecessary enrollment due to helicopter parents insisting their kids are unique/special. It's truly little wonder so many teachers are bailing on the profession.
I dont think this really explains why so many kids are in honors classes with 4.6 GPAs.

There are more accommodations for learning disabilities. It's the law. Or do you think anyone with a learning disability should just be swept under the rug and too bad for them? I think something like dyslexia or ADD is pretty serious...and chances are these kids arent going to be the ones with the 4.0 so they aren't the issue.

In another thread I saw this week parents were complaining about there not being programs for gifted kids.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:54 AM

7,662 posts, read 4,646,663 times
Today is my stepdaughter's last day of high school. I can't begin to express my profound disappointment in what passes for public education these days, but what really burns me is how acceptable academic laziness has become...and that I just can't seem to override this in her. The worst thing for a school to teach.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:07 PM

I am happy that it isn't just wealthy people who have a leg up in education because that's often how it always was. I'm sure some of that still happens today and maybe some people are given passes based on certain things (been that way for a while now). I just can't quite figure out all these super high GPAs yet many times they don't necessarily get someone into that great of a school.

I also don't think where you go to college matters that much these days. I see people who went to no name colleges doing very well in life...and people who went to ivies living average lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting