Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2023, 01:39 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I would probably still send a follow up text to the moms and say to keep this on the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I would want to know that the parents were aware of what was going on.

I agree.Plus, just because the kids RSVPd doesn't mean THEY asked their parents if it's ok to attend. 12 year olds generally aren't in charge of the family social calendar.

Your 12 year old is, well, just that. So what if she was "adament" that you not call the mom and introduce yourself. She is not mature enough to think big picture. Let her be mad.

Daughter sent the invites and can plan details of the party, so there's plenty of opportunities for her to "feel like a grownup" but you can also model what "grownup" is by giving a child's parent the courtesy of an introduction.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 06:16 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
12 is barely out of childhood, still fairly young.

Daughter's objection to you being involved in her social events is immature and not realistic on her part. 12 year olds are capable of making very poor decisions without some adult oversight.

I would explain to my 12 yo daughter that she is still under parental supervision and will be until she's 18. If she gets "mad" explain that the party will be called off if her attitude doesn't improve.

I'd send all the moms a quick email confirming the invite, including the new girl's mother. And I wouldn't keep it on the downlow but tell my daughter that I was doing it and why. It's being a responsible parent.

Hope everything works out and the girls have fun.
Amen.....she's 12!!
If she doesn't like it, party cancelled!

Old 06-16-2023, 10:09 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
I'd definitely send the moms a text. It says the daughter took care of the invites and responses, it does not say she spoke with moms. Kids that age often commit themselves to stuff without talking to their parents first. I know a few times I did and my mom was not at all pleased. So, just because the girls said they are coming doesn't mean they actually received permission to so.

And even if I'm off base above and the kids do have parental permission, I'd still want to reach out as the host/be reached out to a mom of a guest.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:06 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Good communication with other kid's family members is crucial to good parenting. I would continue this, though perhaps more casually, until they are independent.

I found out the hard way that the home all the kids wanted to hang out at was the home where mom smoked pot with them. She also verified sleep overs that didn't happen - the kids ran wild all night.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:41 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
12 is barely out of childhood, still fairly young.

Daughter's objection to you being involved in her social events is immature and not realistic on her part. 12 year olds are capable of making very poor decisions without some adult oversight.

I would explain to my 12 yo daughter that she is still under parental supervision and will be until she's 18. If she gets "mad" explain that the party will be called off if her attitude doesn't improve.

I'd send all the moms a quick email confirming the invite, including the new girl's mother. And I wouldn't keep it on the downlow but tell my daughter that I was doing it and why. It's being a responsible parent.

Hope everything works out and the girls have fun.
This.

Old 06-18-2023, 08:50 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
OP
You can making this a teachable event by explaining to your daughter that she can be in charge of invitations and events but adults need to be talked to by you because they have responsibility for their children's safety and driving them, etc.
You and your daughter are both involved in different areas.

As she gets older this talk will be very valuable so she knows she in not in charge of everything in her life, you are always involved. Until eventually she is in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting