Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 09:19 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times

Advertisements

Now that she is 12, she has become big time, as I joke lol, she doesn't want mommy involved in any plan making. I also know the parents of all her friends. One mom I am friends with on the outside. Anyway,
when she does go out on the weekends sometimes with friends, she does all the arranging now. She will tell me whose picking-up up or dropping off.

Anyway, last year she had 4 girls over for a sleepover, and with the exception of our neighbor who she is always with, I texted the moms to let them know about it. This year, she invited the same girls again, but extended the invite herself. There is just one friend from her sports team coming this year who wasn't invited last year. I asked her if she wanted me to reach out to their moms, she was adamant she didn't want me to and she wasn't a baby. They all told her right after her invite they can come.

Do I need to send a follow up text to the moms? Or just go that they already know about it? Obviously, I will be home and greeting all the parents to let them know when to pick the girls up. Only one mom I have no contact info for so, would have to find her on FB if I wanted to contact her before the party..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 10:34 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Hmm..... There's only one mom you don't know, and that's the new girl's mom, is that right? The girl who wasn't in last year's sleepover group? I'd reach out to that mom with a friendly sort of "welcome" note, introducing yourself, say you're looking forward to meeting her at the drop-off, and confirming the the event. She doesn't know you either, so if she's approved her daughter's attendance, she's trusting that you're an OK Person, going on faith. In that case, it would be a good idea to reach out to her as a gesture, to confirm the event is happening as presented by her daughter.

I remember going through that stage you're daughter's at. It was a transition from my mom being involved in my guests' activities, maybe driving us somewhere, or maybe making us lunch, or whatever, to us doing everything for ourselves, entertaining ourselves by coming up with our own activities around town, and getting home in time for dinner. After the first of these overnights, I heard my mom saying to someone over the phone, "Easiest guest I ever had!" Well....yeah. We're growing up, and can structure our own day, and do things independently now. Welcome to the "tween" years, mom!

Old 05-26-2023, 12:26 PM

16,303 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I would probably still send a follow up text to the moms and say to keep this on the DL

Old 05-26-2023, 01:05 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I would probably still send a follow up text to the moms and say to keep this on the DL
I would do exactly this as well

Old 06-01-2023, 11:45 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Seriously, I am not sure what is the point of the note to the mothers? Your daughter invited the girls. If they received the invitation and are allowed to go, then they show up. If not, they don't. If any of the mothers (especially the new one) have questions, they can reach out to you (obtaining your contact info via their daughter/ your daughter).

What is the benefit of sending a separate note from you, especially considering your daughter asked you not to?

Old 06-02-2023, 02:15 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Seriously, I am not sure what is the point of the note to the mothers? Your daughter invited the girls. If they received the invitation and are allowed to go, then they show up. If not, they don't. If any of the mothers (especially the new one) have questions, they can reach out to you (obtaining your contact info via their daughter/ your daughter).

What is the benefit of sending a separate note from you, especially considering your daughter asked you not to?
I would want to know that the parents were aware of what was going on.

Old 06-02-2023, 05:28 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I would want to know that the parents were aware of what was going on.

Yes, but the daughter already made people aware of what is going on. If the other parents have questions and concerns, they can reach out to you

Old 06-02-2023, 05:34 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Yes, but the daughter already made people aware of what is going on. If the other parents have questions and concerns, they can reach out to you
She made other non-driving age children aware of what's going on.

It's good to make other parents feel comfortable if you're going to be hosting their kids. And kids are notoriously forgetful about telling you things until right at the last minute.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,637,449 times
12 is barely out of childhood, still fairly young.

Daughter's objection to you being involved in her social events is immature and not realistic on her part. 12 year olds are capable of making very poor decisions without some adult oversight.

I would explain to my 12 yo daughter that she is still under parental supervision and will be until she's 18. If she gets "mad" explain that the party will be called off if her attitude doesn't improve.

I'd send all the moms a quick email confirming the invite, including the new girl's mother. And I wouldn't keep it on the downlow but tell my daughter that I was doing it and why. It's being a responsible parent.

Hope everything works out and the girls have fun.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
I agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting