Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 682,834 times

Advertisements

I was at a restaurant with my wife, daughter (2 yrs, 4 mths old), our female friend and her little daughter (1 1/2 years old) and some other friends.

For the sake of this story, we'll call my daughter Mary and our friend's daughter Jane.

Mary was eating with my wife and Jane was running out of the children's play area where I was standing. I saw her, picker her up and started talking to her. Mary said something to my wife, looked angry and then ran over to me in what I could only describe as a "jealous rage". She really didn't yell or anything, but when she came over, I knew why, so I picked her up with my right arm (Jane was already in my left arm).

I've seen this jealousy before, but I wasn't prepared for what Mary said to me a few minutes later, "You're Mary's dada, not Jane's dada."

Wow.

I guess I wasn't prepared for her to be so explicit in describing her displeasure with me. The funny thing is she never shows this level of jealousy when my wife plays with other toddlers, or when I play with toddlers other than Jane.

My wife and I suspect it's because our friend is a single mother and never has a man around her apartment. Maybe she thinks that I'm gonna jump ship and become Jane's dada. With our other 2-parent friends, we never see this level of jealously when we play with their kids.

Has this ever happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:19 AM

2,032 posts, read 985,488 times
She's 2. Her emotional and cognitive development is barely registering.
Don't attribute anything to it other than that. Seriously.

Old Today, 10:39 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I was at a restaurant with my wife, daughter (2 yrs, 4 mths old)

I wasn't prepared for what Mary said to me a few minutes later, "You're Mary's dada, not Jane's dada."
I wouldn't be prepared for that either... full, grammatically correct sentence with possessives and contraction!

Old Today, 03:38 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Most people don't like their children picked up by non-family members. In fact, it's common. It's a matter of personal boundaries.

Old Today, 04:16 PM

2,032 posts, read 985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Most people don't like their children picked up by non-family members. In fact, it's common. It's a matter of personal boundaries.
It was the OP's 2 year old daughter who had the reaction, not another adult.

Old Today, 05:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 682,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
She's 2. Her emotional and cognitive development is barely registering.
Don't attribute anything to it other than that. Seriously.
I'm not. I was just a bit shocked with how explicit she was. Still, my daughter only gets jealous when I pick up this one girl, not others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I wouldn't be prepared for that either... full, grammatically correct sentence with possessives and contraction!
Her language skills are a bit advanced for her age. Still shocked me a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Our friend is like family. She doesn't mind us picking up her daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
It was the OP's 2 year old daughter who had the reaction, not another adult.
Was that what they meant? Now I'm confused.

Yes, you are correct. My daughter had the reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting