Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with Sylvan, Huntington or Kumon Learning centers?

My youngest is not where she should be with language arts despite a lot of attention at home, school and with additional tutoring. Her teacher felt Sylvan or Huntington could help. From what I've seen, their price tags are quite hefty. I have not heard such great things about Kumon - of course since they are more affordable!

If anyone has any feedback on any of these centers I'd appreciate if you could share it with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
My daughter went to Sylvan for math and reading comprehension. I am a huge believer in their system and method. I would do it again in a second. Not cheap, but well well worth it.

Just wish we would have done it a year sooner, but the public school was discouraging it. Saying they just teach to their test. We tried a couple of public school teacher tutors, but not nearly as effective as the Sylvan program.

I was very leary going into the first meeting and left a huge advocate when she finished.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
We also had an awesome experience with Sylvan. I know in our area that Huntington is more expensive, but I've never heard anyone reeally speak of the results they have had, whereas, I am always bragging about how wonderful Sylvan was for my daughter. She went for almost a year for reading and about 4 months for math. Her reading has improved beyond belief! She is an avid reader now and reads books such as Pride and Prejudice and is only in the 4th grade. Her math skills could use some more work and we have thought about putting her back in Sylvan. We are waiting another month or so because she is doing some afternoon tutoring but if that does not work, by January she will be back over at Sylvan without hesitation!

Old 11-12-2008, 10:06 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Do you recall, more or less, what the hourly rates were at Sylvan?

Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Do you recall, more or less, what the hourly rates were at Sylvan?
Mine is old information... 7 years ago the base rate for ours was $40/hr; however, we locked in a that was $34/hr (15% off) by prepaying a certain number of hours that their assessment should our daughter needed. Our Sylvan was very open and upfront with us on the base cost and also on their initial estimate of how long they thought we might be in the program based on the results of the testing. In the end their estimates were fairly on target.

fyi... a just ran into a similiar conversation on another part of the CD Forum... check this link: Learning centers?

Last edited by Dave1215; 11-12-2008 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
I think we paid close to $40-$45 an hour. Someone I was talking to recently told me the Huntington in our area was close to $50-$55 an hour. Not a huge difference but when you do that for a year or so...
Plus, Sylvan, of course, recommends two hours a week so that averages out to be $20-$30 difference a week.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 33,388 times
Sylvan was amazing it helped me so much i went from a 50 average to a 98. my mom paid like 50 bucks for everytime i went. or was it one hundred lol idk. oh well.. the important thing is that it works so go spend ur money on it. or do u not love your kids enougj? do u want them to fail!!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Sylvan, Huntington or Kumon Learning centers?

My youngest is not where she should be with language arts despite a lot of attention at home, school and with additional tutoring. Her teacher felt Sylvan or Huntington could help. From what I've seen, their price tags are quite hefty. I have not heard such great things about Kumon - of course since they are more affordable!

If anyone has any feedback on any of these centers I'd appreciate if you could share it with me.
My two oldest went to Sylvan...for a few months. Due to the distance, often times I would hang and and watch- from a distance. not my children, of course.

Once I learned what they were doing...I began doing it myself....saved tons of money! This isn't rocket science.

My children were moved up in public school, began college early- really early. They both now are in the military...doing very well.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
or

For Kumon, see:
Anyone have experience with the "Kumon learning method"?

or:

Kumon Tutoring Program

or

I Resent Having To Take My Kids To Kumon

Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
How old is your child? Can you be a little more specific about the issue? Is it decoding, comprehension, writing? Something else?

My experience with Kumon leads me to suggest that you explore other options. Kumon is GREAT for math support, but I thought the language arts component was only so-so for language arts, particularly for older elementary students. If your child is a young elementary school student (first through third grade), I highly recommend an on-line program called Headsprout. My second grader, who has ADHD, is currently working his way through the reading comprehension program, and, so far, I'm very impressed. If moderators find my recommendation inappropriate based on the C-D TOS, pm me and I'll direct you to the website where you can view sample lessons.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-25-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting