Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 PM

17 posts, read 60,656 times

Advertisements

I am fed up with the Bronx and would really appreciate a small town atmosphere. Would Pace be a good place to raise a family, avoid the rat race, and not have to worry about getting shot at every week? How would the commute be from Pace to West Florida Hospital in Pensacola be (where I would be working)? I am young, but not really into the whole nightlife thing if that helps at all. I do like to workout, are there any gyms near or in Pace.
Thanks in advance

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 PM

anyone

Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 PM

132 posts, read 471,999 times
Well, I will get pounced for being a Florida basher, but here goes...Don't! I know you think expenses are bad there...they are here too. I live in plant city, very country, if I had to live in florida, this is where i would live. Hubby just got offered a job in Ma, begining next year and we are jumping on it. Night life is pretty abundant anywhere you go here, but expenses are high, schools rank in the lower percentile. I have lived here all my life and it is sad to leave. I have family here, my parents are both buried here, I am deeply rooted in the commuties I have lived it, but I would never ever recommend Florida to anyone. Go to Woburn, MA - Official Website for a looksy at Woburn Ma, which is the area we will be going to. Crime is almost nonexistent. Housing is cheaper than here, culture is available and commuting through the T into Boston is great. You are already use to the cold weather. Thats my 2 cents...now I will get beat up! LOL...its okay...am use to it.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,580 times
You are nuts if you think crime is almost non existent in MA. Maybe in Woburn itself it's true but don't take the T after dark. Talk to the woman who got raped and mugged at the Park Street station in the early evening a few weeks ago.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingdabronx View Post
I am fed up with the Bronx and would really appreciate a small town atmosphere. Would Pace be a good place to raise a family, avoid the rat race, and not have to worry about getting shot at every week? How would the commute be from Pace to West Florida Hospital in Pensacola be (where I would be working)? I am young, but not really into the whole nightlife thing if that helps at all. I do like to workout, are there any gyms near or in Pace.
Thanks in advance

Joe

I live in nearby Cantonment (north part of Pensacola), and I am not really a fan of Florida in general. However, Pace/Milton is kind of a pleasent place. Pace (and most of the Florida panhandle) is a very conservative, Christian place, and is quite backwoods sometimes. It is a pretty affordable place as far as Flroida goes. To get from Pace to West Florida, it would probably take you about 20 minutes during rush hour. And unless you run into some stray hunters, I would say getting shot at is not a very likely scenerio.

So anyway, hope that helps and good luck!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Joe, you'll miss access to the City. You'll miss food, especially Italian food and if you enjoy Asian food you'll want to pull your hair out. Right now you have instant access and not much travel time to the greatest city on earth.

You move to Pace or anywhere else and you will definitely go thru withdrawl.

Don't sweat it as it will NOT pass.

But what you give up you'll sort of make up with weather, views, and a different life, especially the fact that you'll be able to buy a VERY large house in Pace for what a small apartment in lousy area will cost you up yonder.

You'll laugh too as you'll meet people here who whine and snivel about the cost of living. Coming from where you are you will find that most funny.

If you don't mind me asking , what in the world made your dart hit "Pace Fla"?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM

132 posts, read 471,999 times
yeah, i gotta tell ya...i am a native and i have never heard of Pace....where is it? guess i have led a sheltered life! LOL

Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingdabronx View Post
Thanks in advance

Joe
Pace is 180 degrees from the Bronx. I think your culture shock would be HUGE and there is no such thing as good Brooklyn style pizza anywhere near here.

If your goal is to live in an ultra conservative, southern style small town then Pace is the place for you. It is a very small town with very little there. It's really just a place to drive through on your way to Pensacola. The commute from Pace to West Florida Hospital is a piece of cake. It might take you about 15 minutes.

The nearby town of Milton is a bit better than Pace but again it is a very small, conservative town. It would take you about 20 minutes to get to the hospital from Milton. Both towns are about 45 minutes from the beach.

The cost of living in both Pace and Milton is low by Florida standards and probably minuscule by NY standards.

You might want to consider Gulf Breeze, FL down on the coast. It is less hick and is definitely more of a middle class area. Houses are a bit pricier there but still low by NY levels. It would take you about 20-25 minutes to get to the hospital from there and about 10 minutes to Pensacola Beach.

The entire panhandle of FL has a pretty low cost of living and very low crime. Gulf Breeze, Pace, and Milton are in Santa Rosa County. Pensacola is in Escambia County. If you have kids, I would strongly suggest living in Santa Rosa vs. Escambia. The schools in Santa Rosa are significantly better than Escambia.

Crime is higher in Pcola compared to the 'burbs but still quite low compared to NY. Shootings are pretty rare here unless some hunter got drunk and mistook his buddy for an 8 point buck.

Most of the cities within 15 or so miles of Pensacola are really just suburbs of Pensacola. They are mostly housing developments with the standard strip malls, grocery stores, fast food restaurants, and gas stations. For any real shopping or dining, people go to Pensacola. Pensacola Beach is not actually in Pensacola, it is south of Gulf Breeze. Trust me, once you go to a beach on the panhandle, you will never set foot in the Atlantic again.

As far as gyms go, there are a few around. I know there is a Golds Gym not too far from West FL hospital. I'm not 100% certain but I think the hospital has a gym on site for the employees to use.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I live in nearby Cantonment (north part of Pensacola), and I am not really a fan of Florida in general. However, Pace/Milton is kind of a pleasent place. Pace (and most of the Florida panhandle) is a very conservative, Christian place, and is quite backwoods sometimes. It is a pretty affordable place as far as Flroida goes. To get from Pace to West Florida, it would probably take you about 20 minutes during rush hour. And unless you run into some stray hunters, I would say getting shot at is not a very likely scenerio.

So anyway, hope that helps and good luck!
Thank you very much, this was very helpful

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
If you don't mind me asking , what in the world made your dart hit "Pace Fla"?
I was just researching and my intent was to find a place that had easy access to a medium or big city, but wanted a place that is shy of inner city problems. The first thing I noticed was the cheaper costs of living on the panhandle of Florida. The other thing I noticed is that Pace is near the beach. I also choose Florida in general due to nicer, warmer weather. Yeah you have no idea where a hurricane will strike next and somedays the heat and humidity may seem alittle unbearable, but thats the chance i'm willing to take. Plus West Florida Hospital was willing to pay the most
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola