Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Bluewater + a $50K remodeling budget (no, the original 1983 stove is not 'part of the charm') really is a cost-effective option compared to Swift Creek or the Destin planned communities, especially if you want a quarter acre lot or bigger. Land costs are surprisingly dear here for a relatively small population base because the government owns so much of the good stuff.

Another reason I prefer Bluewater to the Destin planned communities is that about 95% of the homes here are occupied year-round, and you can get a really high percentage of lightly used second homes in the beach developments, even in the ones that restrict or ban short term rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 02:39 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Looks like you got alot of information, all of it good. My house is coming along, 6 more weeks! There are still lots in Swift Creek that are owned by other builders, not many though. I think maybe about 8 lots still for sale. There are other lots that don't have signs, could be private owners waiting to build, or waiting to sell.

Agree with Beachmouse on Edgewater. You really need to do a major drive around before you settle on an area. There is no way I would drive from Destin to Eglin - without using the Mid bay. No way! The cost of the toll would be made up in gas. Just the time it takes you to get through Destin you could be close to the Eglin gate (of course depending on time of year).

As for ranking the area - Niceville has the most potential, best schools etc. Then I would do Shalimar, Ft Walton Proper, then Crestview, followed by Navarre. The other day I was headed north on 85 towards I-10 and the amount of traffic headed from Crestview to Eglin/FWb was astonishing! There is no way I would move there and do that commute.

Niceville has gotten 2 new resturants - albeit fast food - since we moved back. Panda Express, Firehouse and I saw the sign for the Pita place the other day. they are adding a new grocery store to Palm plaza, not sure why they are adding a new discount place, since the last place didn't survive, but it is showing growth. And the remodeled CVS etc, make that shopping center looks good. Hope there are plans for the old Food World. Then clean up old Kmart and I would be happy! I think the area between Walmart and Publix will be getting something soon, I heard a rumor that it was a Lowes? If if was a Target I will be very happy.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 PM

IIRC, the other big box mentioned with the original Crossings plan was Home Depot. Of course that was a boom-bust housing cycle ago.

I do not know much about Grocery Outlet but at least they're trying to fill a currently empty big storefront. I do kind of wish Aldi was going into store and area instead since they're got a handful of things that really are both good and cheap like their German and Belgian chocolate.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:48 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
IIRC, the other big box mentioned with the original Crossings plan was Home Depot. Of course that was a boom-bust housing cycle ago.

I do not know much about Grocery Outlet but at least they're trying to fill a currently empty big storefront. I do kind of wish Aldi was going into store and area instead since they're got a handful of things that really are both good and cheap like their German and Belgian chocolate.
Would love Aldi. I wish some sort of activity would go into Food World or K-Mart. Something like a Bowling ally, skating rink, a jump house. Ideally something for the whole family. I think the area could support something like that now.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Destin harbor can really be interesting. One block is beautiful, and the next horrible. But there are still really nice areas as well. You just have to visit.

The drive from Mid Bay to Eglin isn't that bad. It's no where near big city driving, and much better than trying to drive over the island and FWB. You know for sure that you have a job on Eglin? I have no idea of your skill set, so I don't want to seem rude, but jobs on Eglin seem to be ultra-competitive. Just so you know.

As others have mentioned, it all comes down to what you want. My wife and I walk the beach almost every night. 30A is perfect for us. And there are a lot of people that live on 30A that travel to Eglin daily. Not me.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:22 PM

28 posts, read 53,858 times
Great information from all of you! Thanks so much.

It really sounds like Niceville is growing and in a good way. Yes, restaurants, shopping and things to do along with parks, and nice community events all contribute to liveability and are the kinds of things that are important.

Schools are important for home re-sale value, but no kids for now, so not such a huge issue.

2 Niceville questions: 1. Is Parkwood Estates part of BWB? 2. Is there a Costco or Sam's in Niceville?

Yes, "it all comes down to what you want." And that is the crux of the matter....so I guess the most important thing about any location is actually meeting friends and building relationships with others that enjoy hanging out, right?

The job at Eglin is set, so no worries there, m1a1mg! And the spouse works remotely from home, so the location is a big deal, and 30A is fabulous, but again, just way too far for the commute, however that nightly beachwalk sounds great!

Have you ever heard of Destin Pointe? Looks like a small, gated community off Lands End near the Destin Harbor? Hmmm, wonder if that trailer park Beachmouse found is sitting just outside the gate? I'm still thinking it would be closer to Eglin and close enough for that nightly walk on the beach, although the transient population may be the downside to that location. But what a great investment!

Old 12-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Hi Slduvall

[quote=slduvall;37591400]Looks like you got alot of information, all of it good. My house is coming along, 6 more weeks! There are still lots in Swift Creek that are owned by other builders, not many though. I think maybe about 8 lots still for sale. There are other lots that don't have signs, could be private owners waiting to build, or waiting to sell.

As for ranking the area - Niceville has the most potential, best schools etc. Then I would do Shalimar, Ft Walton Proper, then Crestview, followed by Navarre. The other day I was headed north on 85 towards I-10 and the amount of traffic headed from Crestview to Eglin/FWb was astonishing! There is no way I would move there and do that commute.

Really love Swift Creek, I can see why you are building there. How are the HOA fees running there? This would be probably first choice, but for the same $$ I think the beach house is attainable.

And Crestview certainly looks like there are lots of new homes and waaay cheaper than Niceville, so I can imagine that the commuter traffic is busy! But, Crestview is probably smaller than Niceville.....so it's a no-go.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:25 PM

There's a Sam's in the northwest part of Ft. Walton beach. Nearest Costco is sadly in Tallahassee or Montgomery right now. Whole Foods is supposed to go into the Destin Commons area this time next year.

Destin Pointe is in the area south of Destin Harbor known as Holiday Isle. The whole Holiday Isle area is generally five feet above sea level or less, and this is an issue during hurricanes. I think it took a couple of weeks for that area to become habitable after Hurricane Ivan in 2004 and then it took moderate damage from Dennis in 2005.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 AM

36 posts, read 62,407 times
Nearest Sam's as beachmouse pointed out is in FWB, about a 20 minute drive from Niceville (probably same amount from Destin)

Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Yes, Beachmouse, storms, hurricanes, etc. are probably always a concern on the gulf. Certainly, Niceville is a bit more protected than Destin. Do most homes have back up generators in the area? Does the power go out for periods of time during usual storms?

Hey, and another quick question.....I read that dogs aren't allowed on the beach in Destin, but they have a large dog park facility on Indian Bayou.

Does Niceville have any type of dog park for those civilized pooches who enjoy social interaction? As well as owners who pick-up-poop as necessary!

Or, are there public bayfront parks that allow dogs to swim/hike in Niceville? What about the state parks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola