Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,343 times

Advertisements

I don`t know why people complain so much about the bugs in florida. I grew up in Rhode Island and the bugs in the summer were worse then here in florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 30,960 times
I'm looking into buying a small house to make a "Cabin" if you will. My friends and I SCUBA, a lot on the Mighty O, and we'd like to have a place to keep some gear, and save some money over renting. I am also looking to move eventually, and I think Pensacola might be the place. I'm looking at a fixer upper out by the Navy base....near S. Navy Blvd, and 292. Does anyone know of any laws, or codes I need to be aware of that might cause this 20,000 dollar house, to turn into a money pit? I mean, I know the house, and I'm a contractor so, that's not an issue, but a law about rebuilding, or updating a house might be one. I've been to the building code website, and I understand that, but are there any hurdles that anyone know about, or can anyone point me into the right direction as to where to look. Thanks....Hammer

Old 03-23-2008, 04:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Cantonment is not bad, but it has a big paper mill that puts out a stench odor. The best area would be a little further north in Molino, which is still somewhat rural (for now). You can get a nice house in Molino with a big lot and the schools are great. Only 20 minutes to Pensacola.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsun View Post
What about the town close to Pensacola called Cantonment?? Is it nice? would it be better to live there instead of inside Pensacola? I heard it was nice, but I`ve never been there or Pcola.
I live in Cantonment, and it is in my opinion, the best place to live in P'cola. We're a pretty short drive from most of the stuff to do (the beaches are a drive though) and it may be the cleanest part of the city as well (not as many homeless on the sides of the street, trash on the side of the road, etc..). It has a somewhat country/suburban feel to it. There are lots of older houses with acres of land, and then there are subdivions popping up all over as well. The landscape is kinda hilly in places, and forested. Like the OP, I moved here from Texas too becasue my dad is military and we hated it. However, it has grown on me a little and Pensacola has more potential than any other city I've seen. If only we could get the people running the city now out of office, then we'd start to see what Pensacola could really be.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 AM

27 posts, read 140,055 times
Pace, is the growing suburb but the commute into pensacola can get sticky. some great neighborhoods in pace - milton.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 PM

451 posts, read 310,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I don`t know why people complain so much about the bugs in florida. I grew up in Rhode Island and the bugs in the summer were worse then here in florida.
Totally agree, I lived in upstate, NY, and PA, and the bugs are much, much worse in the summer, the size of some of these bugs is amazing, Florida's bugs arenothing in comparisson.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 AM

7 posts, read 29,058 times
Gulf Breeze, Pace/Milton, Cantonment, N/E (East of I-110), 9 Mile area, cantonment

Avoid:
West of I-110/railroad tracks and South of I-10, downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
...If only we could get the people running the city now out of office, then we'd start to see what Pensacola could really be.
You must be new to here.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:29 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I agree, Nine Mile Rd is growing quickly lately. I should point out though that sections of Ensley along Old Palafox are kinda trashy.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 11,731 times
I am considering moving to Gulf Breeze, FL but have found a home in Pace... Could someone fill me in on the schools, crime and if these areas are nice for kids to grow up in..

Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Both Pace and Gulf Breeze are popular with middle class families because the Santa Rosa County schools are generally far better than Escambia (Pensacola) County schools. They're generally regarded as safe and kid-friendly. I like how Gulf Breeze seems to be more of a real town than other non-Milton parts of Santa Rosa County, (and there is a certain snob appeal to it if that's your thing) but I'd be nervous about buying there after seeing how much damage Ivan and Dennis did to the Gulf Breeze peninsula, even in areas that aren't directly on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola