Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 07:32 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
A financial factor desiring to be in the panhandle of Florida versus across the border in Alabama or Georgia, is not having to pay state income taxes in Florida. I get that they make up money with vehicle fees other ways, but not state taxing your income, is important to me.
The difference between GA and FL at 75K per year is a net of around $1500 gained in FL for the year, before considering higher costs in other categories very likely to flatten or exceed that. The knee jerk reaction to taxes often winds up that way, and a shining example of why it's important to consider the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 10:27 AM

396 posts, read 417,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The difference between GA and FL at 75K per year is a net of around $1500 gained in FL for the year, before considering higher costs in other categories very likely to flatten or exceed that. The knee jerk reaction to taxes often winds up that way, and a shining example of why it's important to consider the big picture.
This is very true. I would argue it's cheaper to live in Alabama vs. Florida, and Alabama has a state income tax.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:49 AM

337 posts, read 448,735 times
Quote:
I certainly didn't allude the state taxes were the almighty decision for me or for anyone as the deciding factor of where someone should reside. It's a factor for me. I'm not a big spender, just the basics.... recovering the difference on the sales tax might not be as applicable as someone else who spends more freely. I've lived in Texas and Tennessee, as those states do not collect state income taxes as well. The other states I lived in like Iowa, Oklahoma and South Carolina and North Carolina, it always stuck in my craw when I had to fill out state income taxes, especially Iowa. Have a blessed day.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:33 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
hmmmmm

I know nice people are from Alabama, but I really want to stay in Florida, especially Panhandle.

I heard about Pensacola. From some posts here, I heard one has to be careful around certain neighborhoods.

I'd like to drive little as possible (I'm one of those 55 mph drivers on the right lane), but I am more concerned about crime.

I will do further research on Pensacola.
You really do need to expand your search. Pensacola is fine (I actually like it), but, I think Mobile would suit your needs better than the Pensacola area. Living in the area (Orange Beach, AL), I'm just not sure it will be right for you.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:34 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Good advice! Most folks don't consider beyond the "Florida has not income tax" thing...

Old 05-13-2021, 10:29 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
I have lived in both FL and AL and have found the overall tax burden to be lower in AL.

OP - Brooklyn to Florida panhandle is quite a change. Are you sure you know what you're getting into? I certainly understand your wanting to get out of NYC, but why such an extreme change? Why not a smaller city or town in the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, or Carolinas? Why are you so set on the panhandle? Why not consider other parts of Florida?

Old 05-13-2021, 11:08 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Good advice! Most folks don't consider beyond the "Florida has not income tax" thing...
Agreed! When I moved back here from Virginia I got a salary increase due to not paying VA taxes, but apples to apples on auto insurance, homeowners insurance and property tax I took a slight loss. If I add the huge jump in home insurance this past year it is a big difference. Sure it cost me less to renew my licence or register my vehicles but overall it's a tad more expensive, especially if you own a home.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:33 AM

533 posts, read 481,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You really do need to expand your search. Pensacola is fine (I actually like it), but, I think Mobile would suit your needs better than the Pensacola area. Living in the area (Orange Beach, AL), I'm just not sure it will be right for you.
Also, I keep to myself, i.e. I am a homebody.

I feel that people think NYC'ers like to go out and party. Once when I worked out of state, one lady (she was a sweetheart) said I don't appear to be someone who is from NYC.

I'm unsure if you had that impression or not. I am a homebody.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 AM

533 posts, read 481,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I have lived in both FL and AL and have found the overall tax burden to be lower in AL.

OP - Brooklyn to Florida panhandle is quite a change. Are you sure you know what you're getting into? I certainly understand your wanting to get out of NYC, but why such an extreme change? Why not a smaller city or town in the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, or Carolinas? Why are you so set on the panhandle? Why not consider other parts of Florida?

Coasts of Florida are more prone to Hurricane, and I'm unsure how I'd handle it (being an outsider, instead of family living there for decades).

Area bordering Georgia has higher crime (so I've heard).

Hence Panhandle.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:39 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Coasts of Florida are more prone to Hurricane, and I'm unsure how I'd handle it (being an outsider, instead of family living there for decades).

Area bordering Georgia has higher crime (so I've heard).

Hence Panhandle.
The panhandle (especially the western panhandle where you're looking) is actually one of the most hurricane-prone parts of the state.

The least hurricane-prone parts are the northeast coast from Jacksonville down to around Daytona, and the "armpit" of Florida, or the "Forgotten Coast" from around Apalachicola to Crystal River.

You said you've heard that areas bordering Georgia having higher crime, that's actually code for "has more black people", and is what the people telling you that really meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola