Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 01:46 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymouse53 View Post
i would move to alabama but hubby will not. sooo. can't decide to move to cantonment or pace, we are getting older and really don't want to drive 30 minutes to grocery or medical stuff, but want a safe area with wildlife ok minus the nasty snakes ugh. lol
Personally, I would recommend Pace over Cantonment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 07:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
For an acre you'll likely need to look around Chumuckla, just a little north of Pace.

The paper mill in Cantonment isn't as bad as it used to be. When I was a kid it used to really stink when driving through there, but now most of the time I don't smell anything. The biggest issue with Cantonment is the nicer properties are generally mixed with some trashy ones. It's rural so people are free to let their properties look as bad as they want.

You might able able to find something suitable near the east end of Nine Mile, near UWF and Fox Run. Fox Run subdivision does have some homes on larger lots, and there is a nature trail near there.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:29 AM

451 posts, read 455,905 times
One cautionary tale. I moved to Florida to be near son and grand kids. 2 years later son moved to California. I stayed in Florida.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:32 AM

327 posts, read 221,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
One cautionary tale. I moved to Florida to be near son and grand kids. 2 years later son moved to California. I stayed in Florida.
Yes, you cannot rely on children and grandchildren to remain in the same place for very long in this day and age, especially if the parents/grandparents are already bouncing around between transient states. For the record, Arizona and Florida are the most transient states in the country (after Nevada). In my experience of having lived in both states (plus California), people who bounce around between Arizona and Florida never stay put for more than five years or so.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:37 PM

18 posts, read 31,202 times
we have decided on either pace or milton, however where we live now we have deer in our yard daily, kinda looking for the same wildlife experiences, do i need to move closer to like jay for this. is it better to have a brick home due to possible tornados. is it needed to have a shelter built. i have 8 dogs so do not want an hoa of any kind. property would be nice but probably over budget. also is their rv parking at any places? we don't want to sell it just yet thanks mary

Old 06-03-2023, 10:43 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
If you've narrowed down a location, you really need a real estate agent at this point.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Tornadoes that close to the coast are generally on the weaker side of the wind scale. You will do better in tornado and windstorm conditions with post-Andrew construction (after 1992) and then there was another big windstorm building code revision in IIRC somewhere around 2001.

The key trouble spots are roofs, windows, and garage doors. Even on older homes, you can retrofit roofs with hurricane tie downs in the ceiling joists and have roof replacement use a higher grade shingle on top of that sticky membrane stuff. Garage doors can be replaced with on that meets Miami-Dade windstorm code, and if you don’t want to do a more comprehensive window replacement or storm shutter project, you can precut plywood to cover windows and figure out attachment points for them well ahead of when you’d have a storm staring at you rom the Gulf.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:45 AM

18 posts, read 31,202 times
thanks, I am definately looking at new construction, where i can park our small rv at. I have talke to a few realtors but because i am not buying till like feb/march i get a run a round. sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola