Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2024, 10:35 AM

146 posts, read 294,909 times

Advertisements

I spent some time in the Panama City area when I was a child, when my father was stationed at Tyndall AFB. I'll be returning to the area in several weeks and want to go back to places I lived as a child. For instance, I went to Calloway Elementary School and I was able to find it on Google maps.

I'm having trouble finding where I actually lived. I have my deceased father's military paperwork from that time. Our home address is listed as "17 Calloway Road, Panama City, Bay County, Florida". I cannot locate this address on Google maps. Does anyone have any idea where I can find this address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 05:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
I tried the Bay County Property Assessor’s web site search function and that address doesn’t seem to exist in their system. My guess would be that there was a replanting of the neighborhood or renaming of the street at some point.

You could try the PA’s office and ask them about historical data, but I’m not sure if anyone there would have the time to dig around in the archives.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:08 PM

Thank you, Beachmouse, for your efforts in searching. The address on the military records is spelled "Calloway". I was able to find a "E Callaway Drive" on Google maps, but nothing corresponding to 17 Callaway Drive. I called the Property Assessor. They referred me to the Roads and Bridges Dept of Bay County. The nicest woman helped me! She knew all about every road but didn't know anything about this address.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:58 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,658 times
I imagine it is a typo as Callaway is the spelling of the tiny town right outside the base. Did you maybe live on base? Back then the base housing was open, and not gated like it is today. Those old houses have been torn down and new neighborhoods built, with the roads all having new names. There were also lots of little houses just over the bridge from the base that I remember from my childhood (spent a lot of time over there) and when I was stationed there in 2005, they were all gone, I imagine the roads might have changed names as developers built new houses.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:46 PM

Thank you, slduvall. We did not live on the base. I have a memory of a street named Chipewa Street. Looking at it on Google Street view corresponds (mostly) with my memory of what the area looked like. I'm just confused about my father's papers all showing the "Calloway" address.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:58 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,751,857 times
Keep in mind, that Hurricane Michael did a lot of damage in the Florida panhandle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
View detailed profiles of: