Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 PM

454 posts, read 448,145 times

Advertisements

We received a letter that shows one of our family members has an unclaimed asset. It shows an old address where we lived previously... it was an apartment though. Says its amount due for goods and services. Also says charter communications inc and it was from last year. I then googled charter communications and its internet company. Back then we used time warner internet but the thing though is this was a long time ago. We moved out of that apartment about 5 years ago etc.

I googled fletcher unclaimed asset recovery and it does seem legit... they take 15% for helping you out from what i read in reviews. But when i did more googling, shows that you could do this all by yourself by going to www.unclaimed.org. Is that correct? I entered the name of our family member there and it does show a claim there which means this letter is legit right? But is there a way to know how much money is the claim before we file the claim? If we file the claim online, we will just get a check for whatever amount it is and nothing else right?

It does say in the letter this is only info state of NY is obligated to disclose and not disclose value. But since it says reported by charter communications inc, this is probably a little money from our cable internet company years ago? However, it shows last year... we moved out of there about 5 years ago. So could this be a mistake or not?

Has anyone here done this by claiming money whether its through fletcher or by themselves?

Most importantly, can something negative ever come out of this when you file a claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:20 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
You don’t have to pay for the service. I think each state runs its own unclaimed property site, is work through there and fill out the forms to get the funds back

Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 PM

454 posts, read 448,145 times
Well i typed in the name. And there is option to click next if you want to file claim online. So if i click next, what happens then? What information will you have to supply? Could i do this for a fellow member online?

Well do they just send you a check and that's all? Or can it get complicated?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:24 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Well i typed in the name. And there is option to click next if you want to file claim online. So if i click next, what happens then? What information will you have to supply? Could i do this for a fellow member online?

Well do they just send you a check and that's all? Or can it get complicated?
I got a letter like this last year. Skeptical, I searched that particular state's website to see if there really were funds owed to me. It took a few minutes to find out for myself and cost nothing. Yes, you can often find out how much it is, but each state is different. You can also get some information about the source of the money (unclaimed refund for a purchase, unclaimed tax refund, estate asset, inheritance, etc).

These "services" are mining state public records to find these funds. All they need is a name and the state. They are taking a chance that the owner of the funds is too clueless to file for the money themselves. If you use this company, they will get a percentage of the money. YOU will pay it. That is how they make their profit.

There is NO CHARGE for filing to get your unclaimed funds yourself. It is ridiculously easy to do. Ignore the letter. You don't need these people to get all the money you are owed. Unless you are bone lazy that is.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-18-2019 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 03:14 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
I used missingmoney.com and found about $1,500 in unclaimed funds in my late ex-husband's name. It's a central repository for this info, no charge to use. I tried to help DS get it; we got as far as determining that it was for some small savings accounts the Ex had set up and never touched again, and a few dividend checks from his employer's stock- all legitimate. Unfortunately we ran into a bureaucratic dead end when they wanted document of the probate proceedings from the Ex's estate. There was none. He died intestate and in debt and a lawyer we consulted us said there was no need to open an estate for him. We replied to the state with this info and they parroted back the same request. I THINK I may have been able to file and "Affidavit of Small estate" form with FL, where he died in 2010, but wasn't sure where to start so I gave up.

Really annoys me- the $$ will eventually revert back to the state of NJ and we paid a bundle of taxes in the years we lived there.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:21 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,063 times
do it yourself directly with the state's unclaimed property website. You'll have to give them a drivers license and some basic information, print out and sign a claim form and mail it in. They'll contact you if there's any info missing or they need something else. Usually takes a couple weeks.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I used missingmoney.com and found about $1,500 in unclaimed funds in my late ex-husband's name. It's a central repository for this info, no charge to use. I tried to help DS get it; we got as far as determining that it was for some small savings accounts the Ex had set up and never touched again, and a few dividend checks from his employer's stock- all legitimate. Unfortunately we ran into a bureaucratic dead end when they wanted document of the probate proceedings from the Ex's estate. There was none. He died intestate and in debt and a lawyer we consulted us said there was no need to open an estate for him. We replied to the state with this info and they parroted back the same request. I THINK I may have been able to file and "Affidavit of Small estate" form with FL, where he died in 2010, but wasn't sure where to start so I gave up.

Really annoys me- the $$ will eventually revert back to the state of NJ and we paid a bundle of taxes in the years we lived there.
I got a letter from one of those companies and rather than recover it myself as I have other times, I let them do it because I knew it would be complicated like your story.It took quite a while and
they probably more than earned that 15 per cent on the approximate $5000
Other times the amounts were much smaller but the process is easy enough to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance