Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,958,798 times

Advertisements

I honestly think that most people on City-Data are VERY jealous of New York City but know that they can't talk negatively about it because it is without question the "King Of Cities". So when there is a city that is roughly 80 Miles from "The King" (Philadelphia) people assume that it's not possible for there to be ANOTHER great, vibrant urban city that close to The King, so Philly and to an extent Jersey receive the brunt of the hate/jealousy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,666,505 times
That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I honestly think that most people on City-Data are VERY jealous of New York City but know that they can't talk negatively about it because it is without question the "King Of Cities". So when there is a city that is roughly 80 Miles from "The King" (Philadelphia) people assume that it's not possible for there to be ANOTHER great, vibrant urban city that close to The King, so Philly and to an extent Jersey receive the brunt of the hate/jealousy.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM

59 posts, read 75,014 times
I personally hate it because it's rundown and doesn't have much to offer. People are rude. The city is trouble with high crime rates. It's just a depressing and ugly city that I've had to endure when I visit my relative 3 times in the last 15 years. My cousin, who lives in the outlying area, bad mouth Philadeplhia. He complains that if he had a job and money, he'd move west. The location and the weather are horrible. San Jose is so refreshing and almost anywhere in California is a relief.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 PM

59 posts, read 75,014 times
Quote:
Be realistic, this city is not that vibrant. Maybe a few blocks or on South Street by Old city.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,278,929 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced. I've seen NY get its share of mud tossed its way.

A large part of it is that a bunch of kids are on here posting (see 2 posts above). Another factor that may come into play is that people like the status quo and resist change. Folks were comfortable when Philly's population was declining, when LA was number 3, when cities like Houton and Atlata were backwaters, etc. Once these things start to change, folks start to react. You've seen it: Philly's a ghetto, LA, Houston and Atlanta are not real cities, etc. Human nature.

. . . And did I mention the kids posting.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,660,145 times
Ok, that's definitely durf.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,712,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jose guy View Post
I personally hate it because it's rundown and doesn't have much to offer. People are rude. The city is trouble with high crime rates. It's just a depressing and ugly city that I've had to endure when I visit my relative 3 times in the last 15 years. My cousin, who lives in the outlying area, bad mouth Philadeplhia. He complains that if he had a job and money, he'd move west. The location and the weather are horrible. San Jose is so refreshing and almost anywhere in California is a relief.
You go wayyy out of your way DURF

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,666,505 times
You should stop making stuff up.

Quote:

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,900,722 times
Quote:
In 15 years he couldn't come up with means to move out??
He couldn't ask his cousin in the great city of SJ if he could move there so he could get on his feet? I am sure that would come real quick in SJ with it's vibrant downtown and booming economy.

C'mon Durf, help the guy out. Whaddaya say?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,229,494 times
Actually I'd rather people stay ignorant and keep their negative views of Philly, other than lowering crime, I like the city just the way it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia