Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Personally I've always thought LINCOLN DRIVE was the scariest road in the city. Rock on one side, River on the other, NO dividers. No way out. Scary. I've surprised there aren't MORE head ons on that road. But a friend who lives in Mount Airy says people who drive that road every day -- REALLY KNOW that road so they can handle it.
I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:09 AM

312 posts, read 268,459 times
What about tunnels under the city or suburbs? Not anything like the Big Dig but something similar?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Northern Virginia has an amazing freeway system. DC in general is served by an extensive and useful freeway infrastructure....leaves philly in the dust.
The only thing I find "amazing" about DC's highway system is the amount of time that traffic is at a stand still. I have never seen anything like it before. Even when I travel to New York on the Jersey Turnpike (which is rare as I usually opt to take SEPTA and NJT), I have never seen traffic as bad as in and around DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
1) I'm always curious as to whether certain comments are from native Philadelphians -- who really KNOW the city, past and present...or newcomers who have ,no idea what they're talking about and just spout as IF they do. Ex. comparing Philly to a city or area that it really can't be compared to -- for geography, or development reasons. Granted, those people could say they have some new and fresh ideas....and that a Philadelphian might be 'to close to the situation' to see other possibilities.
Native Philadelphian here as well. I wonder the exact same thing! Anyone who really knows the Philly area, knows that the Schuylkill Expressway was built before the Interstate Highway System (IHS). It used to carry the designation of PA 9 before it was introduced to the IHS. Of course it's not up to Interstate standards in its current form as it was constructed before the Interstate standard was even a standard. It would be great to add capacity to the Schuylkill Expressway, but it's nearly impossible given its surroundings: the Schuylkill River, Fairmount Park, established neighborhoods, the NS Harrisburg Line and the connection to the Lehigh Viaduct, and the mountains that surround it. The topography, along with the natural and man-made barriers, are why adding capacity to the Schuylkill Expressway is unfavorable.

As for the other highways, would people seriously be content with the Crosstown Expressway? It nearly cut off Center City from the rest of Philly, along with destroying the homes and businesses that make South Street so vibrant. There's no way in hell that I would support a Girard Avenue or 52nd Street Expressway. Expanding 309 according to the original plan would also not be ideal. The only expressway that would be feasible and make sense is expanding PA 90 up to the Boulevard. As others have said, it would offer relief to the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.

As for existing highways, I will never understand why the Schuylkill Expressway couldn't have been kept on the left bank of the Schuylkill River. There is nothing on the left bank but open land and abandoned factories. Below is a visualization of what I mean:
Schuylkill Expressway-Left Bank : Scribble Maps
Blue-Schuylkill Expressway
Orange-Exit ramps
Black-Tunnel

Old 06-06-2015, 11:41 AM

312 posts, read 268,459 times

i think if Philly could do this the traffic issue would be solved. My idea is to add the Media Expressway from Media (intersect with 476) to 76 in South Philly. Also, move the schuylkill under University City. Also, create a airport bypass that takes you directly from I-76 to the Airport instead of having to go over that bridge and hit traffic lights. Also, extend 309 and 1 until they intersect with each other and then they become regular roads.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
The only thing I find "amazing" about DC's highway system is the amount of time that traffic is at a stand still. I have never seen anything like it before. Even when I travel to New York on the Jersey Turnpike (which is rare as I usually opt to take SEPTA and NJT), I have never seen traffic as bad as in and around DC.

Native Philadelphian here as well. I wonder the exact same thing! Anyone who really knows the Philly area, knows that the Schuylkill Expressway was built before the Interstate Highway System (IHS). It used to carry the designation of PA 9 before it was introduced to the IHS. Of course it's not up to Interstate standards in its current form as it was constructed before the Interstate standard was even a standard. It would be great to add capacity to the Schuylkill Expressway, but it's nearly impossible given its surroundings: the Schuylkill River, Fairmount Park, established neighborhoods, the NS Harrisburg Line and the connection to the Lehigh Viaduct, and the mountains that surround it. The topography, along with the natural and man-made barriers, are why adding capacity to the Schuylkill Expressway is unfavorable.

As for the other highways, would people seriously be content with the Crosstown Expressway? It nearly cut off Center City from the rest of Philly, along with destroying the homes and businesses that make South Street so vibrant. There's no way in hell that I would support a Girard Avenue or 52nd Street Expressway. Expanding 309 according to the original plan would also not be ideal. The only expressway that would be feasible and make sense is expanding PA 90 up to the Boulevard. As others have said, it would offer relief to the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.

As for existing highways, I will never understand why the Schuylkill Expressway couldn't have been kept on the left bank of the Schuylkill River. There is nothing on the left bank but open land and abandoned factories. Below is a visualization of what I mean:
Schuylkill Expressway-Left Bank : Scribble Maps
Blue-Schuylkill Expressway
Orange-Exit ramps
Black-Tunnel
Bartram's Garden!!! It's the oldest botanical garden in North America!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Would the u city tunnel free up riverfront for development?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Bartram's Garden!!! It's the oldest botanical garden in North America!
Thanks for pointing that out! I forgot about Bartram's Garden when I was conceiving this plan. I feel like a terrible Philadelphian haha

Old 06-06-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out! I forgot about Bartram's Garden when I was conceiving this plan. I feel like a terrible Philadelphian haha
Haha nahh. I agree with the rest of your post though. I wonder if 76/676 will be capped at all in my lifetime-it would be nice.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post

i think if Philly could do this the traffic issue would be solved. My idea is to add the Media Expressway from Media (intersect with 476) to 76 in South Philly. Also, move the schuylkill under University City. Also, create a airport bypass that takes you directly from I-76 to the Airport instead of having to go over that bridge and hit traffic lights. Also, extend 309 and 1 until they intersect with each other and then they become regular roads.
I love that plan! I'm not sure how a Media Expressway would work out. Would it be along the current alignment of Baltimore Pike? I really love the idea of an airport bypass. If it was tunneled, then people wouldn't have to look at the South Philly refinery as they cross the George C. Platt Bridge. It's a turn-off to many people (I love it because of its history, however).

This may be a little redundant, but what if I-476 continued to a new bridge over the Delaware River and made a direct connection to I-295 and the Jersey Turnpike? If this happened, then Philly would have something similar to a half-beltway . Jersey Turnpike N to I-476 N to I-276 E back to the Jersey Turnpike N would create a secondary bypass.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post

We can't fully maintain the roads and bridges we have now and you all want to build more or change it.

And Penn, will NEVER ALLOW what your are talking about in UC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia