Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 9,576 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Thank you in advance for helping this overwhelmed mama! My family is contemplating moving to the suburbs of Philadelphia from Rochester, NY since we have a child with special medical needs who requires better care than we are receiving here in Rochester (CHOP has one of the best programs for our son's condition, NF1). After living in Chicago for 15 years, we moved to Rochester in 2015 to be closer to family and for a slower pace of life. Our son is four, and our daughter is six, and we currently live in a lovely community on a cul de sac with tons of kiddos and wonderful families. Since moving to Rochester, our son has had many medical complications arise and has just finished chemotherapy, and our care here has been subpar. Although there are good doctors in Chicago and we could move back there, I grew up on the east coast and absolutely love it here. Although Chicago is a phenomenal city (and one of the best in the US in my opinion), the flat midwest is just not my jam (I'm talking to you, Indiana), and my husband and I really missed the landscape, beauty, and general feel of the east coast.

We would love to live somewhere similar to where we are now: cul de sac with kiddos and families, a decent amount of land to relax on, and a friendly, tight knit community. We have some extended family in Delaware and Jersey, but won't know anyone near right Philly, so having friendly neighbors is important to us. My husband will be traveling for work to Detroit once a month or more, but being close to the airport and city is not a huge priority, since we would rather have a bit of land and relaxation. We enjoy getting outside for a hike, exercising, and spending time around a fire pit in our back yard. We are used to traffic after living in Chicago for so long. The best schools, especially for a child with special needs, a nearby Wegmans (holler!), and family friendliness, and down to earth people are our top priorities at this point. My daughter is quite social and enjoys dancing and soccer. My son is very shy and loves his big sis and going to the zoo.

After some preliminary research based on schools and location, we have considered moving to Malvern and Chadds Ford. Many neighborhoods along the Main Line seem lovely and I understand the desirability to live there, however, it didn't appear as though there was a much space there, and we are not interested in purchasing an older home (although I find them to be very beautiful). We are in no position for a project at this point; I fear that might push my anxiety over the edge. Our current home has a traditional brick Georgian look, and was built in 2004 and is 4000 square feet. Our budget is around $900,000. The layout and townships have proven to be a little confusing.

Based on what I have described, where would you suggest our family lives? We are coming to explore the areas in April. I am nervous about moving again, especially since we don't know the area well, but my son will need lifelong exceptional medical care, and it will be easier to move with our kiddos now, versus when they are older. Chicago would be a safer choice in terms of knowing the area, but we don't really care to go back to the suburbs there, as they are extremely crowded and not relaxing at all. My apologies for the long post, or if there is already a similar thread. Thank you in advance for any advice! - Erin

Last edited by Erinkathleen25; 03-04-2018 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 01:03 PM

274 posts, read 328,183 times
If you aren't commuting every day to center city, I would also suggest looking at Doylestown in central Bucks county. Very good neighborhoods, good schools, large lots, family friendly and tons of local activities. Definitely dance and soccer of course. Very safe area, lots of parks. Wegmans!

The main line towns (Chadds Ford, etc.), are really nice and the usual suggestion on here as people often want to get quickly into the city for work. There is a train in Doylestown but it's a long ride as it picks up Lansdale on the way down. It's best to drive to the airport using the turnpike and the blue route. But if you don't mind being further outside the city it's great. You can quickly get to NJ over numerous small bridges that cross the Delaware all along the River Drive. Which is also a nice location.

You might want to look at real estate from Doylestown toward Buckingham (toward the river). Buckingham is also Central Bucks schools. Central Bucks is a larger district than New Hope (right on the river) and will have more special needs programs available.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 PM

2,583 posts, read 2,701,656 times
You might like Wayne, PA

Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 PM

12 posts, read 12,853 times
Be sure and check out the Jersey Suburbs of Philly. Jersey has great Public schools and the Commute to CHOP and the rest of center city is easier than the suburbs in PA. Logan TWP in NJ is on the edge of the Suburbs and countryside. The taxes are cheap in Logan, so property resale value will be good there. Woolwich TWP is right next to that and check out pretty much any suburb north of there along the delaware river and you are 20 minutes commute to CHOP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinkathleen25 View Post
Hi there! Thank you in advance for helping this overwhelmed mama! My family is contemplating moving to the suburbs of Philadelphia from Rochester, NY since we have a child with special medical needs who requires better care than we are receiving here in Rochester (CHOP has one of the best programs for our son's condition, NF1). After living in Chicago for 15 years, we moved to Rochester in 2015 to be closer to family and for a slower pace of life. Our son is four, and our daughter is six, and we currently live in a lovely community on a cul de sac with tons of kiddos and wonderful families. Since moving to Rochester, our son has had many medical complications arise and has just finished chemotherapy, and our care here has been subpar. Although there are good doctors in Chicago and we could move back there, I grew up on the east coast and absolutely love it here. Although Chicago is a phenomenal city (and one of the best in the US in my opinion), the flat midwest is just not my jam (I'm talking to you, Indiana), and my husband and I really missed the landscape, beauty, and general feel of the east coast.

We would love to live somewhere similar to where we are now: cul de sac with kiddos and families, a decent amount of land to relax on, and a friendly, tight knit community. We have some extended family in Delaware and Jersey, but won't know anyone near right Philly, so having friendly neighbors is important to us. My husband will be traveling for work to Detroit once a month or more, but being close to the airport and city is not a huge priority, since we would rather have a bit of land and relaxation. We enjoy getting outside for a hike, exercising, and spending time around a fire pit in our back yard. We are used to traffic after living in Chicago for so long. The best schools, especially for a child with special needs, a nearby Wegmans (holler!), and family friendliness, and down to earth people are our top priorities at this point. My daughter is quite social and enjoys dancing and soccer. My son is very shy and loves his big sis and going to the zoo.

After some preliminary research based on schools and location, we have considered moving to Malvern and Chadds Ford. Many neighborhoods along the Main Line seem lovely and I understand the desirability to live there, however, it didn't appear as though there was a much space there, and we are not interested in purchasing an older home (although I find them to be very beautiful). We are in no position for a project at this point; I fear that might push my anxiety over the edge. Our current home has a traditional brick Georgian look, and was built in 2004 and is 4000 square feet. Our budget is around $900,000. The layout and townships have proven to be a little confusing.

Based on what I have described, where would you suggest our family lives? We are coming to explore the areas in April. I am nervous about moving again, especially since we don't know the area well, but my son will need lifelong exceptional medical care, and it will be easier to move with our kiddos now, versus when they are older. Chicago would be a safer choice in terms of knowing the area, but we don't really care to go back to the suburbs there, as they are extremely crowded and not relaxing at all. My apologies for the long post, or if there is already a similar thread. Thank you in advance for any advice! - Erin

Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,427,524 times
You didn't say how often you will be needing to go to CHOP. But based on the fact that's your main reason for moving here (I mean Philly, although I'm transplanted to FL now), plus your husband's need to get to PHL regularly, I would stick to the Main Line towns in Delaware County, Newtown Square (beautiful horse farm country), inner suburbs of Chester County (West Chester, Malvern, etc.). So I think your original choices are a good starting point.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:47 PM

969 posts, read 1,149,027 times
I would also look at areas like Yardley or parts of Levittown and Fairless Hills in the Pennsbury school district. Close to roads like 1 and 95 about 10 miles from the city limits.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Thank you all so much for your insight and thoughtful replies! I sincerely appreciate the advice. It’s been a busy week, so my apologies for the delayed thank yous. I look forward to checking out your suggestions when I have more time this weekend (in between perfecting my shepard’s pie recipe and making a batch of green beer because...slàinte!). Thank you!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:04 PM

401 posts, read 429,579 times
Check out West Chester Borough, we love it. People are very friendly, the town has a community spirit, downtown is alive with always something going on, tons of places to explore, live theater, 50 restaurants many shops. The Halloween and Christmas parades are amazing and not to be missed. It seems they always have something going on downtown where they shut down the streets and have a great time. If you love gardens Longwood Gardens is 20 min drive, amazing place a must see. We are members and visit many times during the year. The area around West Chester has many walking and bicycle trails.

Delaware the place with no sales taxes(think liquor, stoves, tv, washer/dryer, etc.) is 20 mins away. Train service to Philly is 15mins away in Exton, local train you are in center city in 55 minutes . You can be in the country in 10 mins. Schools are rated very high. Tons of shopping nearby, King of Prussia mall is 20 mins away, largest mall in the east. Many others malls in the area.

Downside some say West Chester is a university town, if that bothers you may not like it. You have to be careful not to live near student housing, this website from the borough lists all student housing http://www.west-chester.com/DocumentCenter/View/34

With that said we have had no problems living near the university. We take advantage of the many free concerts, lectures, etc the university has to offer. The University has a large music program with many talented students. We attend quality concerts 2-3 nights a week, all for free. The local police and campus security keep close tabs on the students and pretty much do not put up with a lot of stuff. Our encounter with students have been great, we were moving in a couch and struggling when all of the sudden it got lighter, a few big guys saw us and stopped and helped and would not take anything for their time.

Some streets parking can be a problem so look for homes with off street parking or where parking is not restricted. They love to give out $25 parking tickets! Here is a map http://www.west-chester.com/DocumentCenter/View/764 of where parking is controlled.

Homes can come on the market and be gone in a few hours. When we purchased our home in 2015 we were bidding against 3 others. Our home came on the market on a Friday and they accepted our bid on Monday yea that fast.

When we were looking to move out of NJ,we looked at Media, Chestnut Hill, Phoenixville, Doyestown and several places in Delaware and settled on West Chester a decision we do not regret at all.

More info here
West Chester - Towns of the Philadelphia Countryside — visitphilly.com

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:10 AM

Thank you so much for this thorough response, TLC1957. I sincerely appreciate your advice and cannot wait to check out West Chester when I visit next month! It looks and sounds like a lovely town. Thank you very much!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 AM

1,407 posts, read 931,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
If you aren't commuting every day to center city, I would also suggest looking at Doylestown in central Bucks county. Very good neighborhoods, good schools, large lots, family friendly and tons of local activities. Definitely dance and soccer of course. Very safe area, lots of parks. Wegmans!

The main line towns (Chadds Ford, etc.), are really nice and the usual suggestion on here as people often want to get quickly into the city for work. There is a train in Doylestown but it's a long ride as it picks up Lansdale on the way down. It's best to drive to the airport using the turnpike and the blue route. But if you don't mind being further outside the city it's great. You can quickly get to NJ over numerous small bridges that cross the Delaware all along the River Drive. Which is also a nice location.

You might want to look at real estate from Doylestown toward Buckingham (toward the river). Buckingham is also Central Bucks schools. Central Bucks is a larger district than New Hope (right on the river) and will have more special needs programs available.

Good luck!
Central Bucks is a good recommendation if you're not making a daily commute to Center City. You'll find both land and new construction as well as a more reasonable budget (what you could get for your 900k budget in Buckingham or Warrington might be $2m on the Main Line). Central Bucks school district is one of the best in the state academically and is both big and wealthy, so they will have tons of resources for special needs kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia