Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,879 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a freelance writer/journalist from the UK and will be coming to Philadelphia in July for a few months (initially). The thing is I have no clue where to stay and was wondering if anyone would be able to help.

I'm looking for an area that is good for writers, as I am coming to make contacts/network and push things forward with my writing career. So I would need a 'creative hot spot', arty would probably be okay, but if there are reputable publishers/publishing houses (big or small) away from the 'arty' areas, then I would rather be amongst the former. Also, I won't be driving, so will be using public transport. Other important factors are decent rent prices/people/food.

I have tried Craigslist for apartments, but will need to know what areas(s) to focus on.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Last edited by Miss R.; 04-01-2009 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:55 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
Welcome in advance to Philadelphia... and the US in general.

The area that would likely most appeal to you is our downtown core known as Center City. CC is comprised of many neighborhoods including those in the following list (which I conveniently borrowed from another recent thread):

Rittenhouse Square
Society Hill
Washington Square West
Old City
Fitler Square
Logan Square
Fairmount
(For your purposes, I'll add the following...)
Northern Liberties
Queen Village
Bella Vista

Old City and Northern Liberties would both probably be identified most with the "creative, artsy" vibe. However, since Center City is just two square miles (about five square km), you'll never be far from any neighborhood you want to visit. Locals complain about some aspects about the SEPTA transit system but between buses, subways and elevated rail, you should have no problem getting where you want to go downtown. Commuter rail will take you to a lot of locations outside of the city but frequenting the suburbs might require a car... and I imagine you wouldn't want to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

Other in-town locations to consider would include University City just west of Center City, (stay east of 48th St, south of Walnut St. and north of Springfield Ave. would be my advice) as well as West Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill towards the NW corner of the city.

What makes for decent rent is subjective, of course. As London is the "New York" of the UK, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the relatively lower cost of living. In Center City, I believe you can find an okay 1B apt for around $900-1000 (650-700 pounds) give or take. You would save a hundred or two by considering some of the neighborhoods listed above.

I'm afraid that I don't have much knowledge about the publishing houses in the Philadelphia area. My best guess is that most would be located in Center City but it's certainly worth researching.

Coming from London, you've no doubt gained a certain level of urban street wisdom that would serve a lady well. So when you come to Philadelphia, it probably won't be a matter of what to sidestep but where and when.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss R. View Post
Hi, I'm a freelance writer/journalist from the UK and will be coming to Philadelphia in July for a few months (initially). The thing is I have no clue where to stay and was wondering if anyone would be able to help.

I'm looking for an area that is good for writers, as I am coming to make contacts/network and push things forward with my writing career. So I would need a 'creative hot spot', arty would probably be okay, but if there are reputable publishers/publishing houses (big or small) away from the 'arty' areas, then I would rather be amongst the former. Also, I won't be driving, so will be using public transport. Other important factors are decent rent prices/people/food.

I have tried Craigslist for apartments, but will need to know what areas(s) to focus on.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:50 AM

180 posts, read 701,480 times
I was also going to suggest University City as a possibility for you (I'm biased though, I live in this neighborhood ). If you are interested in anything academic at all you cannot beat it for proximity to the University of Pennsylvania and the Kelly Writers' House. In Center City neighborhoods though, you would find yourself closer to more public transport, shopping, and good food, and stores for basic necessities (chemists, etc.), though most every neighborhood has their fair share of those amenities. As for public transport, it can be slow and usually isn't on time, but I'm not on a schedule very often when I use it so I don't worry about it. We are serviced in the city by trolley lines, two main subways with one east-west route and north-south route, and an extensive bus network (the slowest and least timely). As a female, I typically don't venture down into the subways after dark, but have always felt comfortable riding the buses even later into the evening alone, up to about midnight.

Here is a link to the Kelly Writers' House: Kelly Writers House Check it out and see if the vibe there is something that may be of interest to you--looks like they have a lot of good fellowship going on there. No matter where you decide to stay while you're here, I would definitely check that place out. I imagine your networking opportunities there could be good.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 PM

184 posts, read 751,804 times
The suggestions above are good. It's worth noting that there's very little in the way of publishing in Philadelphia. Perhaps you write in a niche for which it makes sense to come here, but there are no major publishers here that I know of, and only a handful of magazines (mostly local ones). There are a few specialty houses but they are few and far between. On the other hand NY is a center of publishing and it's not such a bad trip from here to there on the train.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
Thanks so much for all this info. Will be printing this so I can do more research on the places mentioned!

Had a look at Kelly Writers House - such a brilliant concept, thanks for that.

lol@ ''wrong side'' I have enough trouble getting the hang of driving in the UK (still learning in fact!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia