Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 PM

20 posts, read 53,498 times

Advertisements

ok here goes - never did this before so not sure what to expect from a post. I grew up in the KP area for 35 years, moved out to Latrobe, PA for the last 3 years and loved it. However, the driving force is that my parents are getting older and I'd like to move back towards that area - within an hour to be able to visit them more often and involve them in my kids lives.

I have 2 kids that are biracial and I'm a single parent. My kids are VERY into sports - the 11 yr old girl is into travel softball and my 6 yr old son will do any sport he can get his hands into. I basically can move anywhere because my job is internter based......my rent is $630 right now for a pretty new 2 bedroom townhouse with garage - i know I won't touch that but hopefully within a few hundred buck - not ready to buy yet

So that being said.......

I am looking for a town that ....
is not fast paced and cluttered
has great schools (7th grade & 1st grade)
has a mix of races
great sports especially softball
has yard areas

Can anyone recommend any good places to live? I just don't even know where to start. Driving through a town for just 1 day doesn't tell me enough about it and the schools. I was thinking like New Holland, Ambler, Chalfont, West Chester.....

I would love to have any input please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
I really do not think that you will be be able to find any decent home to rent around here comparable to what you have now for double what you are now paying, unfortunately... You are going to have to settle for a smaller, older rental property to stay within the price range that you are looking to stay at.. Ambler, Chalfont seems to fit the bill to what you are looking for... Id stay closer to the city as the homes will get cheaper the closer you get.. Maybe look into Feasterville, Warminster, Southampton too..

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 AM

I'd rather not get too close to the city because of crime and lower income. I could afford to double what I pay but not more than that. What about Lancaster area or the Rt 30 Corridor from King of Prussia on up that way?

Any thoughts on Ambler or Chalfont & their school district? How about Lansdale Schools?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 AM

548 posts, read 2,016,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissie711 View Post
I'd rather not get too close to the city because of crime and lower income. I could afford to double what I pay but not more than that. What about Lancaster area or the Rt 30 Corridor from King of Prussia on up that way?

Any thoughts on Ambler or Chalfont & their school district? How about Lansdale Schools?
RE: mix of races -- it's still the suburbs so you're not going to see a HUGE mix of races like you would in a big city, but both Ambler and Lansdale have people of all races. There doesn't seem to be any race-related issues in either of these areas.

RE: school districts -- both are good district. Wissahickon (Ambler) is better academically but Lansdale's district is fine too. I'm told Lansdale's sports programs have a little more of a storied past of success.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 80,691 times
Chalfont is in Central Bucks School District, which has an excellent reputation. However, it is quite expensive in central bucks. If you are willing to go just a bit north to the Sellersville/Perkasie area you will get a lot more bang for your buck. The Pennridge school district, although not as highly regarded as Central Bucks, is still a good school system.

Access to the city isn't bad either. I have a friend who lives in the Roxborough section of the city and I can get to his place in about 50 minutes from Sellersville. I think Sellersville and Perkasie offer a lot of what you are looking for and its an area with a lot of potential. If you would like more detail, please let me know

Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM

From what I used to know Sellersville and Perkasie were places that you wouldn't want to raise biracial children. Is this not true any longer?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissie711 View Post
From what I used to know Sellersville and Perkasie were places that you wouldn't want to raise biracial children. Is this not true any longer?
The demographics may not quite be what you are looking for. To be honest, I've only lived here for about 2.5 years. My girlfriend who lives with me is bi-racial (asian/white)and we have never felt uncomfortable. I'd like to think there would not be any issues, however, I don't have bi-racial children. Sorry I can't help much there.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Here is a link that you might find useful:

http://projects.nytimes.com/immigrat...s/pennridge-sd

Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Thank you! That is very helpful!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Does anyone know what Quakertown is like for schools, sports & ethnicities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia