Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
This May/June stretch isn't any hotter than last year from what I remember. Personally, I don't have issues with the 110's. What both myself along with long time natives I know have grumbled about has been what seems like forever since it's rained. Looking at the 10 day outlook, doesn't appear any sign that we'll get the action we got the first week of July last year (85 and rained all day last 4th of July). The fact that I see 112's and up later next week tells me the humidity will likely be quite low. Which in turn means that the whole "3 days of 55 dewpoints" aren't close to being here in time for the 4th of July. Most of the people I know are ready for some good thunderstorms to break up the redundancy of no precip since March.
I'm sure everyone is ready for some precip all over the state. I sure am! I remember last July 4th. The rain did stop later in the day so we still got to watch the fireworks, up here in Cottonwood.

I was thinking that it's really too early for such high temps but I tend to forget from year to year, so... What worries me the most is when it gets really hot in Phoenix we have more chance of fires in the higher country. I was living in Payson when the Dude fire happened and it was 106 degrees up there, which is really rare. So far there have been at least two fires already and I hope we don't have another horrendous fire season. Even when we have clouds w/o rain there's always the chance of 'dry lightning'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 PM

504 posts, read 852,117 times
With abundant AC and water, and some whining quietly to myself

Personally anything over about 80 is getting hot to me, and I don't want to be outside in it for long. 65 to me is perfect for doing things outdoors, and I would be extremely happy if it never went over about 75 or under about 50 (Yes, I know, I belong in San Francisco weather)

So 'Summer' feels like a large portion of the year to me. But, as many do, I went where the work was... so here I am. *shrug* I pretty much hate the climate, but I just deal with it until things may eventually line up employment/real estate wise to open up the possibility of relocation.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Personally, I prefer humid heat over dry heat, it just feels healthier and better IMO. I've been to the Desert Southwest, and always was in a pool when the weather was that hot. If there's a heatwave with 91F or above temps here in San Diego, we're at the pool or beach. But usually we don't really top 90F here in the summer, even in the inland areas.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 PM

233 posts, read 258,031 times
Quote:
Most of the people I know are ready for some good thunderstorms to break up the redundancy of no precip since March.
I know I'm ready for some storms. Heck, at this point I'd be happy with a cloudy day to break things up a little.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,978 times
There is way too much minimizing of the heat in PHX on this forum. If you personally want to have a positive attitude about the heat, that's fine, but I think some people end up really misrepresenting the weather to those who are potentially looking to relocate. Anyone who says the weather is nice for 8-9 months is lying. Summer most years seems interminable--I can remember get scalded by the seat belt in late October and sweating because I was wearing jeans on Thanksgiving. April is really when summer weather really starts to kick into gear, and by May all bets are off.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Spend weekends in the high country or Wisconsin, depending on my travel schedule.

Phoenix beats a frigid climate any day. Those cold climate states don't get any break from the cold during winter. It's cold in the day. It's colder at night. You have to wear special clothes. Then, on top of that, on those nights that you really don't want to go outside, you have to go outside, to blow snow and shovel and salt. It's bad. Your cars get screwed up, your shoes get screwed up, and then you get to live like that for four (or seven) months.

In contrast, Arizona's worst weather only lasts part of every day, and it's pretty much assured to be 3 months or so, instead of some variable number between 4 and 7 months. Once the sun goes down, it's the perfect time to turn on the patio misters, toss some food on the grill, jump in the pool, and enjoy the weather. Early mornings aren't that bad either. And to be honest, unless you're out in the direct sun for a while, it's not that bad. If you simply can't hack the daily grind without outdoor activities, a two hour drive on the weekend, will get you into perfect weather.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
We even survived a power outage the other day. Got warm, very warm.

The first summer we paid a visit here it was 107 at 7:00 p.m and my son insisted on using the hotel pool. So out we go to sit at the patio table. It lasted about 10 min. We were just not used to it yet. We adjusted just fine over the years and do not mind the summer at all. I guess it is like some snow country people being able to function in sub 0 weather doing chores and shopping. We go early or late in the evening. But sometimes we go when it is 112.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsen View Post
I was in Phoenix recently on a business trip..... OMG! Extremely boiling HOT HOT
Yes, I know it's very dry air, but it's still extremely hot!

The summers are very long too, and it's not like you have to deal with it on a heatwave for few days. It last for several months.

Tell me how you deal with this sunny and extremely hot temperatures?

With a bit of flexibility, being willing to work around Mother Nature's schedule, most of the year is managable. Here we are at first day of summer on the calendar. It's been in the low 70s early in the morning, so that's when I do the outdoors stuff. Went for a walk with the dog this morning. Yesterday was a bike ride, and I also mowed the lawn. Try to run errands before noon, then spend the afternoon at home, working inside the house, watching a movie, etc. By 7 or 8 pm we can be out on the patio, although now and for the next 3 months or so it's not much fun outside in the evening without a pool.

The airport is the absolute hottest part of the city. So if you are flying into Phoenix in the summer, arriving sometime mid-morning or afternoon, walking out of the terminal doors out onto the curb is going to feel like walking through the gates into Hades.

hikernut

Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Quote:
This May/June stretch isn't any hotter than last year from what I remember. Personally, I don't have issues with the 110's. What both myself along with long time natives I know have grumbled about has been what seems like forever since it's rained. Looking at the 10 day outlook, doesn't appear any sign that we'll get the action we got the first week of July last year (85 and rained all day last 4th of July). The fact that I see 112's and up later next week tells me the humidity will likely be quite low. Which in turn means that the whole "3 days of 55 dewpoints" aren't close to being here in time for the 4th of July. Most of the people I know are ready for some good thunderstorms to break up the redundancy of no precip since March.
Ya, I think it's been cooler so far but it's suppose to hit 115 to 120 next week. That's pretty hot but like they say, over 110 who notices the difference. lol

The long dry period this time of year does get to people. I was hoping the hot spell next week might bring on the wind shift but maybe that's wishful thinking. I do think this summer's monsoon will be a bit more exciting than last years. Again, wishful thinking.

I have to admit I love the summer in the desert. The smells, the heat, the monsoon sky. One of my favorites. I do admit it would be nice for some rainfall though.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAZ View Post
I know I'm ready for some storms. Heck, at this point I'd be happy with a cloudy day to break things up a little.
Me to, looks like a few clouds today. But, don't get excited about any of the wet stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area