Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times

Advertisements

Someone wrote yesterday that the cold climate states don't get any break during the winter. That is patently false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Someone wrote yesterday that the cold climate states don't get any break during the winter. That is patently false.
I guess you've never spent a winter in Detroit.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Sorry but I grew up in the Midwest & I still follow the weather stats in the various states there where my family lives.
There is no such thing as a completely frigid winter period without a break or multiple breaks, thaws or whatever you want to call them in most of the Midwest or in much on the Northeast. As a matter of fact, a surprising number of states have significant bare ground during much of the winter because it is too warm to support snow cover & the winter ski industry is struggling in New England most winters as of late.
I have spent enough winter time in south Florida & Arizona to have noticed that the local media, especially tv stations, like to highlight the bad weather & pounce on the news of a northern blizzard event when it does occur in various places in the north. That all fits in with their chamber of commerce p.r. thing but the reality is actually quite different.
So I stand by my earlier assertion that the claim that cold climate states don't get any break during the winter is false.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Sorry but I grew up in the Midwest & I still follow the weather stats in the various states there where my family lives.
There is no such thing as a completely frigid winter period without a break or multiple breaks, thaws or whatever you want to call them in most of the Midwest or in much on the Northeast. As a matter of fact, a surprising number of states have significant bare ground during much of the winter because it is too warm to support snow cover & the winter ski industry is struggling in New England most winters as of late.
I have spent enough winter time in south Florida & Arizona to have noticed that the local media, especially tv stations, like to highlight the bad weather & pounce on the news of a northern blizzard event when it does occur in various places in the north. That all fits in with their chamber of commerce p.r. thing but the reality is actually quite different.
So I stand by my earlier assertion that the claim that cold climate states don't get any break during the winter is false.
I lived in MI for my whole life before moving to AZ. The weather there is miserable from at least November through April. Sure you may catch a decent day in March but if so, that's a lucky year. That's not to say the ground is snow-covered the whole time but most days are gray, dreary and dark along with rain or snow. There's no waking up early to catch some good weather or enjoying the outdoors after the sun goes down. It's constant depressing weather until Spring finally appears. Comparing our extremes to the Midwest's is apples to oranges.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Lets see I live my life like I normally would and don't hide from the heat like all these transplants. Hell I drove a car for years without a/c you won't die. I don;t lock myself in the house during the day waiting for the sun to go down, and don't wake up early to beat the sun. It's posts like this that you realize how ridiculous transplants are, and when the hell do the come here to lock themselves in the house allday cuz it's hot. Just asinine

Old 06-22-2013, 10:13 PM

I grew up west across the lake & then two states further on to the west from Michigan & sure, there were periods of gray skies, as we have here in the deep south winters as well, but I never felt particularly sun deprived overall. I recall having to wear shades a lot in winter to protect my eyes from the low angled rays of the sun.
As I wrote earlier, I watch the temps in various cities in the Midwest & the Northeast for reasons of family & friends & there is just not a sold, unbroken winter in any of those locations.
Maybe your "decent day" & your "miserable" are defined differently than mine are but I still stand firm in calling the claim that cold climate states don't get any break during winter as a being false.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM

You would catch a few sunny days here and there; usually after a snow storm. Overall the winters were horribly depressing. I'm far more active here in the summer than I ever was in the winter in Detroit.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
This probably needs to be merged with the old Phoenix climate/weather thread, but one thing that needs to stop is the discussion of weather in other cities/states in other parts of the country.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Between 7pm to 9am is still ideal for doing normal chores and athletic activities outside here even when it's over 110 during the day. Nights are 10 degrees cooler near the edge of the 202 in Gilbert, Chandler Hts and parts of Mesa. Sky Harbor is about the hottest location due to the lack of vegetation and nothing but concrete and asphalt. The night temps there that stay above 90 during the summer aren't indicative of the whole Valley. Towns like Queen Creek and Maricopa are sometimes 15-20 degrees cooler at night than the airport.
Oh I guess it would be a good idea to update my profile to Mesa. I have noticed the temp is at least 90 when I go to sleep. When I wake on work days it is typically in the 70's. But by 8am I find it uncomfortable. Point being back home as soon as that sunsets not matter how hot it is during the day the nights are cool. Here I'm pouring sweat outside in the evening and still have to blast ac. Even during our hottest heat wave last year in el cajon with about a week of 105-110 temps the nights brought great relief.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:18 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
This probably needs to be merged with the old Phoenix climate/weather thread, but one thing that needs to stop is the discussion of weather in other cities/states in other parts of the country.
It's just simple comparison and contrast. Quite relevant to the conversation in a land of transplants from other places don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area