Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 05:13 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Didn't find any threads about this in the Sports forum. As we've all heard recently, Sarver was suspended from the Suns for one year, and fined $10 million for his misconduct. Can't say I'm surprised at all about this. Sarver always impressed me as a complete incompetent bozo who never really cared about the quality of his own team. He's lucky the Suns have had a good lineup in the last few seasons.

The worst news to come from this is PayPal announced they would pull out of its sponsorship of the team if Sarver remains. So where does this leave the Suns? Will Sarver be forced to resign & sell his part of the franchise? There certainly is immense pressure for him to leave permanently. Too bad Jerry Colangelo can't take ownership of the Suns again. Not only was he great for the Suns, but he was a shining example for the city in general.

Last edited by Valley Native; 09-18-2022 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 11:26 AM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Default Suns will shine.

Sarver is a jerk, we all know this. I don't think anyone cares about him. Most fans follow the team for the players.

All they have to do is dump Sarver. Keep Williams as coach and all the star players and the Sun's will be be fine.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:57 AM

219 posts, read 176,359 times
Sarver just put the Suns and Mercury up for sale.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:29 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Same problem in Maryland with the Redskins...owner is a quintessential jerk.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
Sarver just put the Suns and Mercury up for sale.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...hoenix-mercury

Gotta love the way he tries to use his "faith" as a spin on the matter. He's dreaming if he expects forgiveness. I'm all about free speech, and against cancel culture, but somebody in his position should understand the meaning of respectability & decency. It's not exactly smart to use the "N" word in today's society, especially in an organization where the majority of athletes are black. Aside from all that, he's never had any interest in improving the team as a whole. The guy is a huge embarrassment, and I hope he'll be gone for good after the sale is finalized (just as long as the Suns aren't gone for good from Phoenix).

Old 09-22-2022, 04:25 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Suns aren't going anywhere, massive stadium renovation was just completed, brand new state of the art practice facility was just completed in Paradise Valley, strong fanbase, warm weather climate which is desirable to NBA players... the Suns may end up selling for the 2nd most money ever in the NBA (behind the Nets a few years back). I see the Suns selling for around 2-$2.3B.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rchase-prices/

Old 09-23-2022, 12:09 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
...Sarver always impressed me as a complete incompetent bozo who never really cared about the quality of his own team. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
Sarver is a jerk, we all know this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Same problem in Maryland with the Redskins...owner is a quintessential jerk.

Uh, I think we found a common thread here . . . not to mention Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, a billionaire, with a superb babe for a girlfriend, went to a Chinese "spa" for some special treatment by a Chinese girl who probably is a victim of sex trafficking.

These are just the ones we know about, I'm sure some other billionaire team owners are jerks. Money doesn't buy class.

Gone are the days when local beer barons in major cities owned such teams and pridefully fielded teams that fans loved.

I don't expect the Suns or Mercury to leave town, I hope they get respectable new owners and I hope loyal fans get the winning teams they deserve.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Money doesn't buy class.
People who own companies, provide jobs, and generate wealth are generally classier ... however, there are certainly some business owners whose ethics are highly questionable, and Sarver is one of them. He didn't really have to strive to become successful because he was born into a wealthy family, and he worked at his father's company. Much of his "success" was handed to him on a silver platter. Those are often the worst kinds of employers & business people overall.

Quote:
Gone are the days when local beer barons in major cities owned such teams and pridefully fielded teams that fans loved.
Jerry Colangelo fit this description. He was admired by Phoenix business leaders, and the players on the Suns respected him because he respected them as a team. But Colangelo proved to be more than just a prideful team owner. In the '90s, he was responsible for bringing the Suns to a new downtown arena, getting a new pro baseball & hockey team, and getting Chase Field (formerly Bank One Ballpark) built. NIMBYs despised him for these reasons.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:36 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Uh, I think we found a common thread here . . . not to mention Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, a billionaire, with a superb babe for a girlfriend, went to a Chinese "spa" for some special treatment by a Chinese girl who probably is a victim of sex trafficking.

These are just the ones we know about, I'm sure some other billionaire team owners are jerks. Money doesn't buy class.

I don't expect the Suns or Mercury to leave town, I hope they get respectable new owners and I hope loyal fans get the winning teams they deserve.
You got me reminiscing about A-1 beer with that. A-1 sponsored the Suns back in the 70s. Al McCoy, legendary Suns announcer, would say "That was good - like an A-1 beer" after plays.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:30 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You got me reminiscing about A-1 beer with that. A-1 sponsored the Suns back in the 70s. Al McCoy, legendary Suns announcer, would say "That was good - like an A-1 beer" after plays.
A-1 came up today at the cigar lounge discussing American beers of decades past before Budweiser, Miller and Coors ruined everything. Milwaukee is a great town to visit for old beers still hanging on. In how many towns can you still find Blatz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area