Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 07:46 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times

Advertisements

That thing in Denver is a glorified mall. Overpriced too. I went to see Public Enemies at the United Artists theater. Matinee show and it was the most expensive ticket I ever purchased at a movie. Ticket seller actually apologized for their prices. Good kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 08:31 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
That thing in Denver is a glorified mall. Overpriced too. I went to see Public Enemies at the United Artists theater. Matinee show and it was the most expensive ticket I ever purchased at a movie. Ticket seller actually apologized for their prices. Good kid.
Thankfully we have more authentic urban spaces here in Phoenix, like cityscape and Arizona center.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
If by "entertainment district" they mean theaters and galleries and nice restaurants, great. If they mean bars, as Scottsdale has, then be careful what you wish for.
I'd like to see something like this also, but it wouldn't quite qualify as an entertainment district because of its rather limited target audience. A true entertainment district would be something which draws large crowds during all times of the day & night from within the metro area & beyond. Forget Denver's downtown mall. A better example would be Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas, which is about the only thing in their downtown area that is a major tourist attraction.

It should be a place that is exciting & fun which people would actually want to go downtown to experience. It should not be another replica of CityScape or AZ Center ... both of which are rather limited in their offerings, and AZ Center has been allowed to become a failure. In any event, I hope the plans for this latest project fully materialize, unlike what happened to the proposed Jackson Street Entertainment District circa 2007, and the one proposed in 2018 which also went nowhere.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
First Friday is legitimately one of the worst events I’ve ever been to. Junk swap meet art, people blasting competing music over one another, crazy religious and political groups shouting on megaphones, and hordes of people wandering aimlessly with nothing to do. Roosevelt is a nice area, but it’s a complete joke to argue that it’s better than a huge cohesive urban zone like 16th street. Denver has multiple urban areas that are miles better than anything in Phoenix, and denver isn’t even known for being a standout city in that regard.
A cohesive urban zone? You mean the street with buses running down the middle of it because it's obviously not walk-able? Yes, that is exemplary urban fabric. Full of chain stores and restaurants, yay... I'll take the "less coheisve urban Roosevelt" with places like Modified Arts, MADE, and MonOrchid.

No thanks to the 16th street mall for me. There are better parts of Denver and I'll take Roosevelt Row over that any day of the week. Besides, if that's what you want that experience just go to Kierland or Scottsdale Quarter across the street, you won't have to encounter any homelessness there I can almost guarantee it.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'd like to see something like this also, but it wouldn't quite qualify as an entertainment district because of its rather limited target audience. A true entertainment district would be something which draws large crowds during all times of the day & night from within the metro area & beyond. Forget Denver's downtown mall. A better example would be Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas, which is about the only thing in their downtown area that is a major tourist attraction.

It should be a place that is exciting & fun which people would actually want to go downtown to experience. It should not be another replica of CityScape or AZ Center ... both of which are rather limited in their offerings, and AZ Center has been allowed to become a failure. In any event, I hope the plans for this latest project fully materialize, unlike what happened to the proposed Jackson Street Entertainment District circa 2007, and the one proposed in 2018 which also went nowhere.

Note the years on your referenced failures, just before major economic downturns in both cases. The first being the housing crisis the second being COVID. Hopefully the timing this time is different but we won't know for a while.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:35 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
A cohesive urban zone? You mean the street with buses running down the middle of it because it's obviously not walk-able? Yes, that is exemplary urban fabric. Full of chain stores and restaurants, yay... I'll take the "less coheisve urban Roosevelt" with places like Modified Arts, MADE, and MonOrchid.

No thanks to the 16th street mall for me. There are better parts of Denver and I'll take Roosevelt Row over that any day of the week. Besides, if that's what you want that experience just go to Kierland or Scottsdale Quarter across the street, you won't have to encounter any homelessness there I can almost guarantee it.
This is a goofy straw man argument. 16th street is light years better than phoenix’s sad version (cityscape) and Denver’s more “authentic” neighborhoods blow Roosevelt out of the water. Even LODO is better than anything we have. Roosevelt is quickly becoming a soulless generic luxury mid rise apartment wasteland and is attracting more chains like pedal haus. Also, suggesting that having buses running means that an area isn’t walkable is laughable. That’s like arguing the magnificent mile in chicago isn’t walkable, or that mill ave isn’t walkable because it has a trolley system.

There is a place for all kinds of urban development, including both chains and local businesses. I would welcome it all, but phx has consistently lacked the vision and leadership to make these things happen on a large scale. We need to retire the phrase “yeah but it’s so much better than it used to be” and just focus on making it actually good/great.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
This is a goofy straw man argument. 16th street is light years better than phoenix’s sad version (cityscape) and Denver’s more “authentic” neighborhoods blow Roosevelt out of the water. Even LODO is better than anything we have. Roosevelt is quickly becoming a soulless generic luxury mid rise apartment wasteland and is attracting more chains like pedal haus. Also, suggesting that having buses running means that an area isn’t walkable is laughable. That’s like arguing the magnificent mile in chicago isn’t walkable, or that mill ave isn’t walkable because it has a trolley system.

There is a place for all kinds of urban development, including both chains and local businesses. I would welcome it all, but phx has consistently lacked the vision and leadership to make these things happen on a large scale. We need to retire the phrase “yeah but it’s so much better than it used to be” and just focus on making it actually good/great.
I actually like Denver but the over-hype is odd to me. You don't think this argument is goofy? "Roosevelt is full of generic mid-rise apartments but LODO is better than anything we have in Phoenix?"

Actual street shot of LODO from Google Map showing generic mid-rise apartments:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7571...7i16384!8i8192

Versus the Roosevelt Area in Phoenix:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4574...7i16384!8i8192

Old 11-07-2022, 04:08 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Lodo in Denver will blow anything away anything that Phoenix has. Also, the RiNo (River North Art District) development has been a big impact over the last decade. Drive down 38th Ave and Brighton Blvd and you'll see. There's tons of urban development in that area, Phoenix doesn't have anything to compare.

https://www.denver.org/neighborhoods...-art-district/

Old 11-07-2022, 05:39 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Note the years on your referenced failures, just before major economic downturns in both cases. The first being the housing crisis the second being COVID. Hopefully the timing this time is different but we won't know for a while.
I strongly disagree because the housing crisis and COVID were just excuses for why those developments couldn't get started (and you know what they say about excuses). When the economy became prosperous again after those two incidents, didn't you ever wonder why those postponed/canceled projects weren't revived and fulfilled? The fact is that too many of these proposals have never come to fruition as promised ... so in that respect, I agree with Maroon that Phoenix tends to over promise & under deliver.

BTW, both of those downturns could have been prevented, or lessened at the very least. The 2008 recession was a major blow to Phoenix's economy because we focused too heavily on real estate, sunshine, retirees, and cheap living. Our economy was lacking the diversity that could have made the downturn a lot less harsh. COVID didn't cause the 2020 economy to go into a slump ... it was the government's reactions to COVID! There was absolutely no reason to force certain businesses to shut down or restrict services, basic products to become so scarce, and the stay at home mandates. All the stimulus spending was just a wound kisser, but it added trillions to the already overly burdened debt, and that's one big reason why we have this out of control inflation.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Lodo in Denver will blow anything away anything that Phoenix has. Also, the RiNo (River North Art District) development has been a big impact over the last decade. Drive down 38th Ave and Brighton Blvd and you'll see. There's tons of urban development in that area, Phoenix doesn't have anything to compare.

https://www.denver.org/neighborhoods...-art-district/
Phoenix doesn't have anything to compare to Rino? Really?

https://www.visitphoenix.com/greater...roosevelt-row/
https://ktar.com/story/673557/phoeni...neighborhoods/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area