Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 08:30 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
So with "100% solar" you get no power at night or on rainy days? Or is this a scam?
You do realize that solar farms use battery arrays to store energy produced during the day, right? Not all home systems do, the property can still pull power from the electrical grid at night or they can install batteries for storage.

Still not as efficient as Nuclear power generation and takes up WAY more space but...whatever makes people feel good about themselves I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 09:19 AM

449 posts, read 325,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That pricing is for customers that have solar panels on their property. The other program I was referring to is the SRP Solar Choice program where you can pay SRP to supply your property with either 50% or 100% solar generated energy (SRP Solar Farm, not your own panels).
Solar is less efficient in generating energy than a coal-fired power plant, so they need to charge customers a small amount for those who optionally choose to use it. I would expect a lower percentage of SRP customers choosing to install home solar versus APS customers, given the lower charges on their bill they receive per kilowatt hour.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:02 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,205 times
Quote:
You do realize that solar farms use battery arrays to store energy produced during the day, right? Not all home systems do, the property can still pull power from the electrical grid at night or they can install batteries for storage.

Still not as efficient as Nuclear power generation and takes up WAY more space but...whatever makes people feel good about themselves I guess.
I think new or very recent solar farms are required to have storage because otherwise they are a near-complete waste of money. We already have surplus power when the sun powers solar meaningfully (like 11-3 around noontime). But almost all legacy solar farms (like 90% of them) have no storage IMO. Hence we have the solar power surplus when we don't need it. It would be fair to force ALL existing solar farms to buy storage at their own cost so they can provide power when we actually need it. I would be very interested in how that changes the cost calculation. I would love to develop a power plant as long as I can force the state / rate payers to buy my energy at my will and independent of demand... Because that's the solar/wind attitude.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:47 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Solar is less efficient in generating energy than a coal-fired power plant, so they need to charge customers a small amount for those who optionally choose to use it. I would expect a lower percentage of SRP customers choosing to install home solar versus APS customers, given the lower charges on their bill they receive per kilowatt hour.
You are again, referring to two completely different billing models.

If you have solar on your property: https://www.srpnet.com/price-plans/r...re-solar-plans

If you want SRP to send you solar generated Power: https://www.srpnet.com/account/elect...choice-program

Old 02-15-2024, 07:33 AM

449 posts, read 325,018 times
Quote:
You are again, referring to two completely different billing models.

If you have solar on your property: https://www.srpnet.com/price-plans/r...re-solar-plans

If you want SRP to send you solar generated Power: https://www.srpnet.com/account/elect...choice-program
No, I was explaining why SRP charges more from a solar farm than from regular generation for customers who don't have home solar.

Your original post is below -

Quote:
Not sure how using solar is going to cause consumer prices to decline when SRP charges you to opt for getting your power from a solar farm vs. regular generation. It is a negligible amount but there is still a charge and it doesn't change your usage rates.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:00 PM

6,139 posts, read 2,757,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
So with "100% solar" you get no power at night or on rainy days? Or is this a scam?
I have always wondered how that works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area