Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 03:16 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times

Advertisements

I was very surprised to just learn that SRP has a council for which the public can vote! It's apparently something of a secret.

The reason this may potentially be a big deal at the moment is that currently SRP gets very little of our electricity from solar power, only about 4% (and you may be aware of the barriers to someone setting up one's own home for solar). There are apparently some new forward-thinking candidates who want to push for solar. And if more comes from solar, our consumer prices should start to decline, so it'll save us money, as well as being better environmentally.

It's a complicated set-up, depending on where you live, and it's possible that even if APS is your company, you may still be eligible to vote. It was suggested that the easiest way to find out if you're eligible is to ask to have a ballot sent to you. You can request a ballot now, and I think voting is in March.

SRP Election Information Line: 602-236-3048.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 04:26 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
One of these days I hope a large electric utility declines to spend $2B to build a new coal-fired plant and use that money instead to pay for solar on homes. By my quick back of the envelope math, that $2B would cover 100,000 homes at an average cost of $20k per home. But with 1.4M SFHs in the metro area it may not be feasible, but I'd like to see some B-school professor assign this to a class to ferret out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:37 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I was very surprised to just learn that SRP has a council for which the public can vote! It's apparently something of a secret.

The reason this may potentially be a big deal at the moment is that currently SRP gets very little of our electricity from solar power, only about 4% (and you may be aware of the barriers to someone setting up one's own home for solar). There are apparently some new forward-thinking candidates who want to push for solar. And if more comes from solar, our consumer prices should start to decline, so it'll save us money, as well as being better environmentally.

It's a complicated set-up, depending on where you live, and it's possible that even if APS is your company, you may still be eligible to vote. It was suggested that the easiest way to find out if you're eligible is to ask to have a ballot sent to you. You can request a ballot now, and I think voting is in March.

SRP Election Information Line: 602-236-3048.

It's never been a secret to those of us who get services from SRP. No need to make it sound like something other than it is. Can you share how you think it is "possible" that someone is eligible even if they get no services from SRP?

Only people who live within certain areas can vote in this election. People who are eligible to vote in this election have already been contacted to be sure their address is correct, etc.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:59 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Not sure how using solar is going to cause consumer prices to decline when SRP charges you to opt for getting your power from a solar farm vs. regular generation. It is a negligible amount but there is still a charge and it doesn't change your usage rates.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:34 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
To be fair we have to add power storage (battery) costs for solar as we can control when to produce power in a conventional power plant, but we can't control the sun to produce on demand.

Old 02-12-2024, 03:28 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
One of these days I hope a large electric utility declines to spend $2B to build a new coal-fired plant and use that money instead to pay for solar on homes. By my quick back of the envelope math, that $2B would cover 100,000 homes at an average cost of $20k per home. But with 1.4M SFHs in the metro area it may not be feasible, but I'd like to see some B-school professor assign this to a class to ferret out.
Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's never been a secret to those of us who get services from SRP. No need to make it sound like something other than it is. Can you share how you think it is "possible" that someone is eligible even if they get no services from SRP?

Only people who live within certain areas can vote in this election. People who are eligible to vote in this election have already been contacted to be sure their address is correct, etc.
Someone explained it to me, but it was so complex that it didn't fully register. It has to do with legalities that go all the way back to the inception of SRP. But when I heard this, I remembered an oddity that has always puzzled me: I'm an APS customers, but sometimes I get refunds from SRP. Again, I've asked, but it still makes no sense to me. But that makes me think that I may be in that odd category - and it may be the same for others. No harm in inquiring, right? I certainly would never trust a company to reach out to customers on their own.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
https://www.srpnet.com/about/governa...g-district-map

Here's a map that's interesting.

SRP isn't a "company" at all, so the election notice requirements are very different than for stockholders in a company.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:13 PM

444 posts, read 321,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not sure how using solar is going to cause consumer prices to decline when SRP charges you to opt for getting your power from a solar farm vs. regular generation. It is a negligible amount but there is still a charge and it doesn't change your usage rates.
Correct, SRP has a monthly service charge for home solar generation depending on the system size. From the SRP website -

Solar customers pay a slightly higher monthly service charge than non-solar customers. Customers with systems of 200 amps or under pay a monthly service fee of $32.44, and customers with systems over 200 amps are charged a monthly service fee of $45.44. This helps SRP recover fixed costs to support grid capacity. If you’re on a demand price plan, you’ll also pay a demand charge.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:33 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Correct, SRP has a monthly service charge for home solar generation depending on the system size. From the SRP website -

Solar customers pay a slightly higher monthly service charge than non-solar customers. Customers with systems of 200 amps or under pay a monthly service fee of $32.44, and customers with systems over 200 amps are charged a monthly service fee of $45.44. This helps SRP recover fixed costs to support grid capacity. If you’re on a demand price plan, you’ll also pay a demand charge.
That pricing is for customers that have solar panels on their property. The other program I was referring to is the SRP Solar Choice program where you can pay SRP to supply your property with either 50% or 100% solar generated energy (SRP Solar Farm, not your own panels).

Old 02-13-2024, 06:55 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That pricing is for customers that have solar panels on their property. The other program I was referring to is the SRP Solar Choice program where you can pay SRP to supply your property with either 50% or 100% solar generated energy (SRP Solar Farm, not your own panels).
So with "100% solar" you get no power at night or on rainy days? Or is this a scam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area