Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 10:21 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
And I'm waiting for the answer. It might take a while, so maybe I'll take the train to Filibertos while I'm in biding my time.

It sounds like you should lock her up at home so there is no contact with anyone, with a possible exception only for a flight on Taylor Swift's jet.
I don't know. Picture this. His daughter is driving, with friends, to a concert in downtown Phoenix. Jammed with traffic, they are hitting stop sign after stop light. Often mentally ill panhandlers are hitting people up for money. And a WHITE as snow (keeping it balanced) mentally ill panhandler sees a car full of 16-year-old girls. Gee, what can go wrong?!

In my world, we would force people to get treatment. Or prisons. And I'd be happy to pay more in taxes. It's BS that people like Kurt or Potential_Landlord have to be concerned in broad daylight. I don't feel comfortable either. Hence, I don't like hanging around DT areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 10:31 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Quote:
It sounds like you should lock her up at home so there is no contact with anyone, with a possible exception only for a flight on Taylor Swift's jet.
Absolutely not the point nor does your tone/vitriol for wanting to protect a teenager from the dregs of society bode very well for you. You want your daughter to be the next one found in an SRP canal...go for it. She gets out and socializes just fine.

FWIW she hates Taylor Swift

Old 02-28-2024, 10:52 AM

6,100 posts, read 2,721,277 times
From 17 to 19 years old I took the city bus to high school every day as I didn't have my own vehicle. It was fine I survived this was before the light rail.

These days I'd prob have the kid take an Uber instead lol

Old 02-28-2024, 11:59 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
One is probably more likely to be injured in a crash on the light rail than by a vagrant. According to PHX numbers, there is a crash with a car every six days on average. On the other hand, if you are in one, there could be a payday coming for that (wink, wink) neck injury.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:11 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One is probably more likely to be injured in a crash on the light rail than by a vagrant. According to PHX numbers, there is a crash with a car every six days on average. On the other hand, if you are in one, there could be a payday coming for that (wink, wink) neck injury.
In a train vs. car collision, the train almost always wins. Because of the much greater mass of the train, passengers inside usually have minor injuries or none at all. The occupants of cars don't always fare as well, as in the case of the woman who died last week when she drove into a train's path. Also, since the driver of the car is at fault in almost all these crashes, there isn't much likelihood of payday.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:07 PM

6,100 posts, read 2,721,277 times
Quote:
In a train vs. car collision, the train almost always wins. Because of the much greater mass of the train, passengers inside usually have minor injuries or none at all. The occupants of cars don't always fare as well, as in the case of the woman who died last week when she drove into a train's path. Also, since the driver of the car is at fault in almost all these crashes, there isn't much likelihood of payday.
A lot of stupid drivers out there who think they can beat the train. Drive on the tracks etc.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:30 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It depends on your daughter's demeanor. As in, how does she carry herself? Some people, including adults, can easily be 'read' as a possible victim. Others exhibit a level of confidence and blend in. My SIL for instance seems to attract less-than-ideal people who approach her while other more confident-looking females her age don't. In her case, she is a magnet for idiots. I digress.
Lots of truth in this. Those who present an image of being confused, diffident, and unaware of surroundings have an increased chance of becoming a victim. Body size can also matter. A diminutive female (or male for that matter) can be an easier target. Even though I'm not really a big guy, I've never had issues with lowlifes bothering me personally because I exhibit confidence. Also, I also have a way of looking intimidating ... so I've been told.
()

Quote:
Parents have a responsibility to protect their kids from potential harm. Too many situations where permissive parents allow their kids to do practically anything they want, and that greatly increases the odds of trouble & danger. A while ago, I gave an example in another thread about parents who let their children play in the streets. On the other hand, being excessively protective is called helicopter parenting, which can hamper social development. Balance is the key, but at least give some credit to those who make an effort to take care of their own and keep their family members safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And the chances of being injured in a car crash are overwhelmingly more likely than being involved in a light rail accident. In 2021, 40,833 vehicle accidents occurred in Phoenix alone. Light rail averages one crash every 6 days. Thankfully, we have choices. Either take the daily risk of driving your own vehicle in traffic with the drunks, the inattentive, the reckless, and the many many many others who shouldn't even have DLs ... or board a light rail train and put up with a few derelicts and obnoxious idiots. While I love the freedom of my car, I personally feel safer on the light rail. Others may not feel as safe for valid reasons.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:18 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Lots of truth in this. Those who present an image of being confused, diffident, and unaware of surroundings have an increased chance of becoming a victim. Body size can also matter. A diminutive female (or male for that matter) can be an easier target. Even though I'm not really a big guy, I've never had issues with lowlifes bothering me personally because I exhibit confidence. Also, I also have a way of looking intimidating ... so I've been told.
Well said. I'm 6'2" and people often ask me if I played football as I have broad shoulders and I'm 210 pounds. Nope. lol Marching band. Anyways, when I am walking down in rougher areas I intentionally do a quick look in their eye when I am close by and go about my business. I look like I am not a bit scared. If I am asked a question for money etc, in a deeper voice, I answer confidently. It's no different if an aggressive dog and barking and growling at you. Within reason, you show that you are the Alpha: your posture, voice, etc. Still, I don't want to be forced to act and pretend that it doesn't bother me.

I understand statistics. I realize that the odds of me being mugged etc are low. I don't want to think about any of that. I'll hang out in my more remote area in my homogeneous neighborhood and nearby town. If people need rail to commute, statistically, it will be full of people I don't want to hang out with. I'm going to have to be on guard with all kinds of topics that I don't care to worry about. In my world, if you cause trouble, set the punishment high and clean up the streets. If it takes more prisons and mandatory mental health lock-ups, so be it. If you don't, that subset of people is going to reproduce more. And the cycle of problem people accelerates: lousy parents create lousy children. That's what we have seen for the last several decades. "The birth rate by poverty status in the U.S. from 2005 to 2021. In 2021, women in households with an income below the poverty threshold had the highest birth rate at 72 births per 1,000 women." https://www.statista.com/statistics/...%2C000%20women.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:46 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,009 times
OK thanks! A few years back I rode the bus a lot in he summer. It was never a problem. When buses were free during Covid it became more of a mental health asylum, but still safe IMO. Since then I ride my bicycle all year regardless of heat. Which some people would consider risky but it helps with vitamin D levels lol. So I don't know how public transportation looks like now. Chris Arnade who walks and public transports cities across the world and writes about it did not give Phoenix public transports a good review.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:08 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,270,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
OK thanks! A few years back I rode the bus a lot in he summer. It was never a problem. When buses were free during Covid it became more of a mental health asylum, but still safe IMO. Since then I ride my bicycle all year regardless of heat. Which some people would consider risky but it helps with vitamin D levels lol. So I don't know how public transportation looks like now. Chris Arnade who walks and public transports cities across the world and writes about it did not give Phoenix public transports a good review.
Do people even ride the bus anymore? I swear, every one I see is completely empty. Just driving around aimlessly like a ghost ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area