Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 09:18 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Do people even ride the bus anymore? I swear, every one I see is completely empty. Just driving around aimlessly like a ghost ship.
In Gilbert, that may be close to true. Try the 7 bus in central Phoenix or route 72 on Scottdale Road, among many others, and it's a different story entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 09:51 AM

6,097 posts, read 2,719,048 times
Quote:
Do people even ride the bus anymore? I swear, every one I see is completely empty. Just driving around aimlessly like a ghost ship.
Since the light rail was built and now Uber/Lyft I don't think the buses get many passengers anymore. With that said I haven't been on a city bus in over a decade so not sure what its like now.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
Since the light rail was built and now Uber/Lyft I don't think the buses get many passengers anymore. With that said I haven't been on a city bus in over a decade so not sure what its like now.
Light rail replaced the most popular bus route, the old Red Line that ran from MetroCenter to Gilbert/Main. However, many bus routes that connect to light rail have seen service levels increase because they enable intermodal connections. Uber and Lyft largely replaced traditional taxi service, but they're simply not priced at a level that makes them competitive with buses for daily travel.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:34 AM

6,097 posts, read 2,719,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Light rail replaced the most popular bus route, the old Red Line that ran from MetroCenter to Gilbert/Main. However, many bus routes that connect to light rail have seen service levels increase because they enable intermodal connections. Uber and Lyft largely replaced traditional taxi service, but they're simply not priced at a level that makes them competitive with buses for daily travel.
I used to take the Red Line all the time to Metro Center Mall. The good old days.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:48 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,921 times
I do see people getting on/off buses along Thomas Rd (in the morning) and McDowell (in the evening) during my daily commutes, so at least some buses are being used.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:55 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Would the experience have been any less concerning if the men had been White, Asian, Latino, or something else? Either way, it sounds like the Filibertos food was the scariest part of the experience.
Do the facts bother you?

Old 02-29-2024, 11:03 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,305 times
Risk perception is very culture specific. My fellow Germans consider gun ownership completely reckless but would never hesitate eating raw meat including horse meat and raw milk products. Something that would freak most people out here. So I consider cycling and riding bus / light rail with questionable passengers quite safe. However, I find it repulsive and hypocrite that we force working class people who have no choice to use public transportation that is filthy and has people with deviant behavior on it. I don't like the "buy a car" let-them-have-cake attitude. Compare this to public transportation in Asia that is pristine and safe any time of day. With marble sinks in pristine bathrooms. I think we should not tolerate deviant behavior even close to public transportation. While we rely on low-pay service workers to use it to come to the places where we expect their services. Terribly elitist attitude.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Do the facts bother you?
I'm still waiting to see some. So far, no response.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:32 PM

31,011 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
It's a cesspool.
I work off the light rail, and it's bad. I've seen more security lately, which just pushes the Junkies up the surrounding streets. For lunch today I went to the Chase bank at 44 and Thomas. Got to see some folks shooting up by the Circle k on the way

Old 04-04-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I work off the light rail, and it's bad. I've seen more security lately, which just pushes the Junkies up the surrounding streets. For lunch today I went to the Chase bank at 44 and Thomas. Got to see some folks shooting up by the Circle k on the way
So, it sounds like you're saying the trains are safer than before. Circle K stores are often magnets for vagrancy. The chain underinvests in security, and low-paid cashiers without appropriate training shouldn't be expected to risk their own safety to chase undesirables off property. This sounds like a Circle K problem rather than a light rail problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area