Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 14,162 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to the area (also looking at SC as an alternative)...trying to get some sense of what it's like in terms of lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 04:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,154,276 times
In the Summer? Hot, then maybe Monsoon Season, then hot again until Halloween. Then nice for a while...then hot again.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:19 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Memorial Day to Labor Day: Too hot to do anything, nothing going on. Stay in the house when not at work.

Labor Day to Halloween. Muggy monsoon of summer ends. Cool enough for outdoor activities in the morning and early evening. Still not much going on.

Halloween to Easter: Snowbirds everywhere. Ugh. Lots of things to do but everything is packed.

Easter to Memorial Day: Snowbirds leave. Yay! But activities go with them. Weather gradually becomes unbearable.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:01 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,283,149 times
Summer is backyard pool and travel season. I do my running in the early morning to beat the heat but I'm often out in the heat every day because my kids play sports year round. We try to spend 2-3 weeks out of town during the summer in cooler areas.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:44 PM

5,184 posts, read 3,103,309 times
Expand your search area a bit and you have Tucson which is about 10 degrees cooler, and Sierra Vista which is 15-20 degrees cooler in Summer. Neither is as urbane as Phoenix, but then most people from the east think Phoenix is a bit scruffy.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:33 PM

57 posts, read 53,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgweiser53 View Post
Considering a move to the area (also looking at SC as an alternative)...trying to get some sense of what it's like in terms of lifestyle?

In Phoenix/Tucson? From about May to October you will run from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned job/shopping. The summer dust/rain storms are fun too it can be humid and 115 degrees.

South Carolina has that southern humidity but on the whole people are much friendlier and the food is better. Also it's a prettier, greener state.

One big thing is how populated the southern states are. You go 5 miles down the road, a little town, another 5-10 miles, another little town. Arizona has a lot of open desert land with nothing in it. I can get into my offroad rig and go 40miles down a dirt road and not see anybody or anything. It is really remote in places.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:10 AM

9,751 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Memorial Day to Labor Day: Too hot to do anything, nothing going on. Stay in the house when not at work.

Labor Day to Halloween. Muggy monsoon of summer ends. Cool enough for outdoor activities in the morning and early evening. Still not much going on.

Halloween to Easter: Snowbirds everywhere. Ugh. Lots of things to do but everything is packed.

Easter to Memorial Day: Snowbirds leave. Yay! But activities go with them. Weather gradually becomes unbearable.
Close to 1/2 the snowbirds don't arrive until January. Strange, but true. Feb is peak. And about 1/3 snowbirds have already left as I type. The other 2/3rds by May 1st. The massive traffic surge and long restaurant lines happen in peak tourism season in combo with snowbirds.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:21 AM

190 posts, read 136,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Close to 1/2 the snowbirds don't arrive until January. Strange, but true. Feb is peak. And about 1/3 snowbirds have already left as I type. The other 2/3rds by May 1st. The massive traffic surge and long restaurant lines happen in peak tourism season in combo with snowbirds.
Does it help if you get to a restaurant before they open to get a seat?

Old 04-05-2024, 09:06 AM

7,187 posts, read 9,247,012 times
Yep. Bicycles just stop rolling..

Dangerous wildlife appears after the brutal winters..

People do find fun games to play tho..

Arizona is a terrible place!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...not-think.html

Old 04-05-2024, 10:46 AM

57 posts, read 53,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Does it help if you get to a restaurant before they open to get a seat?

It's only bad at a few restaurant chains that are popular with the older folks. Up here the Texas Roadhouse is almost always a zoo.

Also Costco. The amount of traffic rushing into the parking lot at opening time is unreal. Meanwhile the Sam's Club closed down go figure.

Down in the valley I remember snowbirds around October but lots more from after Christmas to around Easter.

Another thing I wanna mention is that I don't really mind the snowbirds. Most of them are super happy nice old canucks or midwesterners who come here part time and then bail. Yeah some of them can't drive very well but then Arizona natives are horrible drivers too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area