Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 01:22 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,224,087 times

Advertisements

Did two deployments to Saudi in the 1990's when I was in the Air Force. Felt like Phoenix in the summertime to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 05:57 PM

8,336 posts, read 13,474,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Did two deployments to Saudi in the 1990's when I was in the Air Force. Felt like Phoenix in the summertime to me.
This explains why there is a substantial Arabic population (from various countries) living in Phoenix.
I do like the sun and the clear days but AZ sun is something else. The summer heat makes me lethargic but I used to be able to "tolerate" it the first time I moved here.
It is not going to be fun, I know that but the real problem for me is the current kinda hot days where I cannot turn the AC on due to my elderly mom being cold compared to normal people.
So, I cannot sleep till it cools off which is like 2-3 am but I am still up by 7 or 8 the latest. I have been a zombie the last few days because of this.
When it gets to the point where the AC has to come on 24/7, it will actually be better (for me) despite the outside temperature being even hotter.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:32 AM

190 posts, read 138,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
This explains why there is a substantial Arabic population (from various countries) living in Phoenix.
What an extremely unintelligent thing to say.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,159,461 times
Quote:
Honestly, the Saudi Royal Family has maintained a complex in Paradise Valley for decades. I don't know if the climate is the driving factor or what but I was always told that it was the proximity to Mayo Clinic for aging family members. That and the golf.

I really don't think that an Arabic population of .52% in AZ is a "substantial" population though.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
What an extremely unintelligent thing to say.
What? It was a tongue in cheek comment but I don't see what made you say that?
Please do share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Honestly, the Saudi Royal Family has maintained a complex in Paradise Valley for decades. I don't know if the climate is the driving factor or what but I was always told that it was the proximity to Mayo Clinic for aging family members. That and the golf.

I really don't think that an Arabic population of .52% in AZ is a "substantial" population though.
I wasn't aware of the Saudi Royal Family residing here. Interesting.

After your info, I did a search and found site that confirmed your input. It show Arab population in AZ to be 0.52% but fair to say most of that would be in one of the two major cities (Phoenix and Tucson) and it was but there is a big flaw in that calculation; I don't quite know what you consider or they consider as "Arab" but seeing how they separated even Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt, etc. from the "Arab" group, leads me to believe what they consider Arab is limited to a much smaller group than what I and most people would consider. So, the population of people who would be inclined to shop there is significantly higher than what the info on that site might make you think. Heck, I am Turkish and I went there multiple times!
I even took my mom thinking she probably wouldn't buy much but she ended up spending over $100.

Of course, it is all relative but having lived here 15 years ago for a tad over 2 years and there was only Baiz market in Phoenix and it was not a big store compared to the newer one on Northern (by I-17). The number of Middle Eastern people that I saw during various times of my visit to the new one. There were people from India and even some other parts of Africa (Somalia, Ethiopia, etc.). I know because I chatted with them.

Also the current number of Middle Eastern (Iranian or Arabic) markets that are around the Valley. So, yes, it is very noticeably more than what it was back in 2007-2009.

Logically, a certain ethnic market opens up when there is already a substantial number of people from the same or similar ethnicity living in that area. After all, the business owner has to believe they'd make money, right?

This city seemed way more diversified than how it was 15 years ago. I could totally tell after a few months re-visiting only about 1/3 of the areas around Phoenix.

Last edited by Yac; Today at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2024, 11:41 AM

190 posts, read 138,530 times
Quote:
What? It was a tongue in cheek comment but I don't see what made you say that?
Please do share.
Maybe I could have picked a better word, sorry.

First, I think the Arabic population in Phoenix is almost too small to even calculate, so your assumption that "so many" live there is inaccurate.

Second, to somehow imply that the ones that do live there is somehow related to the heat in their own country is just way off base, should I say, almost judgemental?

Old 04-24-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Maybe I could have picked a better word, sorry.
No worries!
Not like I give a rat's what others think of me anyhow so, we are good.

Quote:
First, I think the Arabic population in Phoenix is almost too small to even calculate, so your assumption that "so many" live there is inaccurate.
Well, read my previous long arse post. It is noticeable and to me, that is substantial enough, especially compared to 15 years ago.

Heck, there are way more of them in CA but I hardly even ran into one or noticed probably due to the overall population of the area.

Quote:
Second, to somehow imply that the ones that do live there is somehow related to the heat in their own country is just way off base, should I say, almost judgemental?
Now, who is being judgmental?

One a more serious note, why is it off base to entertain the possibility that the weather might be a factor in their decision to settle in Phoenix? Please do elaborate on this.

I grew up in a climate very similar to Northern CA/ Southern Oregon so I have been yearning to move to Oregon/Washington area because the weather and greener pastures, as crazy as it may sound to some, is very appealing to me.

I, vehemently, dislike heat because it makes me lethargic and sweaty!

Now, you might be inclined to ask:
"Then wtf are you doing here in Phoenix, Turco?"
And I would either, begrudgingly, joke:
"Cause I am a masochist" or be a bit more candid and say something like:
"Didn't have much of a choice, I had to due to family obligations for the time being".

Old 04-25-2024, 07:44 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
At this point its better not to grow so fast anymore. The new people are not the same as the old people and it just results in a lot more problems. Arizona will be a lot better off if growth flattens out and becomes limited.
Growing just for the sake of adding to the population isn't smart, but advocating flat or limited growth isn't beneficial either. For too long, the Phoenix area relied heavily on affordability, climate, retirement, and recreation to bring in new arrivals, but many of them contributed very little to the important economic factors. We've had enormous opportunity to attract reputable large businesses vacating the west coast, but many of them bypassed us and moved to Texas instead. We'd be better off with smarter growth that focuses largely on business/job creation and a skilled workforce. It's heading more in that direction now, but we still have lots of catching up to do.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:08 AM

9,783 posts, read 11,187,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

Google "Saudi royal family Rochester MN" (where the Mayo MN is located.) Over the years, many private Saudi planes have flown to Rochester MN. There isn't a lot going on in Rochester, MN. Other than a massive and unbelievable shrine called the Mayo. The building is a Taj Mahal; the lobby smells like money. Therefore, the Mayo MN location is ranked higher over the PHX or Jacksonville (better Docs, research, etc.) That includes the Mayo Medical Schools (all three Mayo campuses) have a medical school. The toughest to get into is Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: