Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,215,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Why does it matter if someone posts 1 post with 6 pics or 2 posts with 3 each? Wouldn't they still take the same time to load with dial-up?

How long does dial-up take to load a page full of pics?
It's been many years since I used dial-up and I forget how severely bad it is.
Because there is a limit to the number of posts that can be posted on a page, you choose in your profile how many you want displayed. If we post one image, or maybe a limit of 3 per post the page will change to the next page sooner. Basically the more pics per post the more bandwidth required to load the page. That's my understanding at least.

I have high speed cable as well but last week they were working on the lines and I was forced to use the dial up back up.....it almost drove me nuts because the pages with lots of pics took so long to load!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,215,775 times
This board is becoming extremely confusing with so many similar thread titles...jmho.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,204,423 times
I love mornings like this, mirages in the horizon and a pink sunrise.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 PM

18,135 posts, read 11,782,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
This board is becoming extremely confusing with so many similar thread titles...jmho.

I guess this is my fault because I wanted to label all of my own threads
similar so you can find it quicker.

Right now I'm working on the yearly thread but do not pay attention to it right now, it's incomplete.

The only threads that are active is this; December Home State Photo's and Discussion. We are waiting on next theme. Also, the holiday threads
by other members.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,222,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I love mornings like this, mirages in the horizon and a pink sunrise.
It's sooooo beautiful and I can't give you reputation for it

Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 AM

347 posts, read 1,096,063 times
Quote:
My feelings exactly, Meson. Also, the monthly contest threads, don't have the word 'contest' in the thread title. I find that confusing... seems like it's a general thread...

Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,222,156 times
It's really not complicated to follow (for me). There's a "December in your home state" theme where only pictures are posted, this is where persons can post multiple entries for voting, though not for commenting. Keeping the thread easy for viewing when the poll is created.

There's the new "December theme" where persons will post just one picture of a selected subject (With is Main Street) to be voted upon. It's also a thread of no commenting, as well, keeping the thread for easy viewing when the poll is created.

Both, however, have their own (equal yet seperate) discussion threads for conversations and/or personal comments about the "Home state" & "theme" contests. They're marked with the words "Discussion thread". HTH

Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Default jmho...

Lol... Fedup! I do get all that!

I was agreeing with meson abt many similarly titled threads.
Quote:
And...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
It's really not complicated to follow (for me). There's a "December in your home state" theme where only pictures are posted, this is where persons can post multiple entries for voting, though not for commenting. Keeping the thread easy for viewing when the poll is created.
Imo, where you can submit more than one pic for the contest, it seems a bit moot to have all the pics in one thread and the discussion in another, since there are soooo many photos, that you are scrolling thru many pages anyway. There is no easy viewing! Jmho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttrBug View Post
Also, the monthly contest threads, don't have the word 'contest' in the thread title. I find that confusing... seems like it's a general thread...
I also wondered why the so-called monthly contest threads, don't have the word 'contest' in the title. They seem like they are general threads without that word. Example: "December in your home state" vs. "Contest: December in your home state". That's what I meant.
Maybe someone who is not a regular on the forum may choose/like to participate in a contest, but may not realize without the keyword in the title. Do you see what I mean now?

Besides, if you search the forum, with the keyword 'contest', you will see that up until the Nov 08 contest, the word 'contest' was in the title! https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9645718 So, it's nice & clear... whether one is a regular on this forum or not. But, imo, now it's not clear . It just seems like a general discussion... I don't know why that format changed? I mean, how can you not call a contest, a contest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
There's the new "December theme" where persons will post just one picture of a selected subject (With is Main Street) to be voted upon. It's also a thread of no commenting, as well, keeping the thread for easy viewing when the poll is created.
See, this I don't mind so much, as keeping it at one post per person makes sense to me. It doesn't get so overloaded, that you need to scroll pages before u decide.

But, as always, you are sweet to explain. Hope you/others understand what I am trying to say...

Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM

37,808 posts, read 41,097,858 times
The way I look at it "Holiday" has to have something related to the holiday season (indoor or outdoor) not winter and the photo has no real bearing on where you live whereas when you look at a December In Your Home State photo, you should have some idea in what region the photo was taken.

For example, for Holiday, both a Maine and a Texas poster could post a photo of Christmas gifts under the Christmas tree but we photo viewers wouldn't know or care if the photo was taken in Maine or Texas. We're just looking at the photos on their photo merits. But in December In Your State, I don't expect the Maine and Texas posters to have interchangeable photos because Maine doesn't look like Texas, in December.

Is that right?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:44 PM

And, oh, BTW, I just saw how the earlier contests had the polls separately, with the photos, but without saying whose pic it was. Makes for a comparatively more unbiased voting, imo... I don't know how many of you all noticed, but in the wheels contest, there was some back and forth posts, that were later removed... by the posters, I assume...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests