Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 PM

110 posts, read 777,552 times

Advertisements

I've had my Canon Powershot A70 digital camera for about 4 years now with never a problem; it's easy and comfortable to use, has all the basics I need and none of the frills, bells and whistles that I'd never use anyhow. I use it on a regular basis, at least several times a week, especially in summer taking outdoor nature shots.

This past weekend it began acting strangely. Sometimes (not every time, but it's been happening more and more often as I'm using it) when I'm zooming in or out, the display image would suddenly "melt". Sounds weird but that's exactly how it looks! The image literally "flows" down to the bottom of the screen in a blur of color, and then the camera shuts itself off. I've recharged the NiCad batteries and even tried putting fresh standard ones in (even though the camera display doesn't indicate that the batteries are low)... so I don't think it's a battery issue. Besides, normally when the batteries are that low the display alerts me AND if it does get critical the camera would just shut off abruptly, not do this strange "melting image" trick. (I rarely let the batteries get that alow anyway, I think it's happened maybe twice since I've owned the camera.)

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? If it is a major repair issue I might be better off spending a few more dollars and just buying a new camera, but I'd appreciate some input before taking it into the repair shop and incurring bench charges if I do decide not to get it fixed.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by birdrgal; 07-18-2007 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
DSO

57 posts, read 76,486 times
When our Sony digital camera developed electrical "issues", the screen (and the pictures taken) looked like the old television snow / interference, and the colors resembled color negative film. The image was sort of smeared together. It was intermittent at first. We had purchased an extended warranty, and had forgotten all about it. When the notice came that our warranty was nearly up , asking if we wanted to extend it, we jubilantly took the camera out of the closet and in for repair - at which time we were told it was totalled, and with even greater jubilation, we applied the $$ toward a new Canon Rebel SLR . Boy oh boy that was a good day. I hope your situation has a good result! But I would suspect issues with the electronics.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,713 times
Support - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

This should give you what you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography