Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM

107 posts, read 279,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
I'll admit it - I'm open minded to just about everyone *except* neo-conservatives. That hate/bias thing gets on my nerves.
And you don't see the irony in calling yourself "open-minded"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:09 PM

470 posts, read 1,711,780 times
I'm honest about my bias. I respectfully listen to both sides, but I'm acknowledging my irritation.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM

91 posts, read 427,549 times
Default My 2 or 3 cents

I had to chime in on this one...

I moved to Portland from Arizona back in 2000 so I feel I have a fairly good grip on Portland.

First the positives: It's a comfortable city and in that I mean, you don't feel overwhelmed by the largeness or vastness of it. It has a community feel no matter where you live unless you live way out in the burbs... and then it's just a "burbs" feeling.

People are friendly here. When I first moved here from Arizona (where I feel people are NOT friendly) I was taken back by people's openess and willingness to talk and such.

Cost of living (altho this is quickly changing) is relatively low compared to other places in the US. You can still get a decent meal and a decent place to live as long as you are not looking in the Pearl District (which is horribly overpriced - I know because I live in it)

We have mild weather here. Which means we don't have blizzards that keep you holed up in your house or heat waves where people die every summer due to the heat index.

The city is attractive. In so many aspects its a beautiful city... plenty of water and trees and in general, people have pride here and it shows.

Crime is fairly low for a city of this size. Biggest problems are car break in's and just general petty crime but this is prob due to bored youths or drug addiction (meth is quite the problem here)

The negatives:

Job market isn't so good. I work at one of the biggest employers here so I am lucky but since this company has a reputation of purging its people every 6 months, I keep my eyes open. If you are a professional looking to advance your career, it's not easy here. People are generally underpaid in Portland. My husband has amazing education and work credentials but has a hard time getting paid what he is really worth in a normal market. He is a CFO.

However, if you don't mind working in a coffee house (ie. starbucks) or book store for 9 bucks an hour, then Portland is the place for you.

The mamby-pamby-flaky people get on my nerves here. The ecological, suburu driving, Teva wearing, I don't want to work, don't step on my feet or Ill cry types run amuck here. Portland lacks the professionalism that I was use to in other parts of the country.

It's a laid back place and unfortunatly that translates into the workplace.

The weather. Now while I mentioned above in the positives that its a mild climate, if 9 months or gray drizzle would drive you nuts and leave you begging for a bit of vitamin D, then stay away. It's clouds and rain for a good portion of the year. This doesn't bother me personally although I do find myself getting a bit tired of it around late Feb or March.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 02-06-2008, 06:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,189,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn1221 View Post
Whitesandsyucca,
I think Portland and Seattle are about even with rain. Also Portland might have outgrown its "coziness". Portland metro has a population of 2,300,000 and growing. Traffic in the metro area is getting bad. Many of the highways around downtown haven’t been upgraded and are congested. The I-5 bridge into Vancouver is the worst bottleneck on I-5.
But then again, for those of us who live in Portland, ease of traveling to Vancouver isn't much of a consideration.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 AM

226 posts, read 580,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn1221 View Post
Whitesandsyucca,
I think Portland and Seattle are about even with rain. Also Portland might have outgrown its "coziness". Portland metro has a population of 2,300,000 and growing. Traffic in the metro area is getting bad. Many of the highways around downtown haven’t been upgraded and are congested. The I-5 bridge into Vancouver is the worst bottleneck on I-5.
Thanks for your points. I totally understand what you are saying.

When I said "coziness", I just was meaning it isn't that huge of a city, and the downtown, complete with cozy corner shops and businesses, kind of nuzzles a fir-covered hillside, with many bridges spanning that river. I also went to that huge bookstore there, Powells, and read books most of the day. I like how the city overall has color tones of greys, blues, whites, and greens, and the downtown is kind of a batch of medium-height office blocks, some really slick and modern, with a towering, picture-perfect mountain in the hazy distance (Mt. Hood). I do appreciate the city.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:57 AM

14,724 posts, read 33,477,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
but I've still got to take exception to the "no snow" listed as a positive
It's just that it borderline terrifies me to drive in snowy conditions. Portland draped in white, when it occurs, is gorgeous. Driving on it and having the car do what it wants with a "mind of its own"....not so good.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 AM

470 posts, read 1,711,780 times
Skip the borderline, I find it terrifying to drive in snow.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 PM

8,827 posts, read 21,349,834 times
I do , too & I do not live in Portland, but in New York which does have measureable snow. I should be used to the driving , but I still am afraid to drive in it . Many people drive as if the roads were totally clear.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM

59 posts, read 169,440 times
I've posted on the Seattle forums, so I might as well post here. I am thinking of moving to either PDX or SEA from Austin...family concerns, applying to law school in SEA, and a host of other reasons. From what I've heard and read, PDX compares very well to Austin, i.e. size, vibe, culture, etc... I haven't got a read on SEA, yet. I am a single male, mid 30's, so schools, etc...aren't really my concern. Some of the items that do have my attention are:

This SEA or PDX "freeze." Are people really that reserved, cliquish, etc... up there? I wonder if the weather that's dreary nine months out of the year has something to do with it? Sure, we all have our groups we run in down here, but, by an large, people are really friendly down here. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Tex-Mex food...I know it may sound trivial, but the lack of good...hell, any...Tex-Mex in either SEA or PDX concerns me.

One poster mentioned that designer clothes and premium cars are looked down upon...does this mean if one drives, say a BMW, then it's bad mojo?
What about a large diesel truck?

Another poster mentioned "big brother" always having its hand in everything...can someone explain this further? I am coming from Texas...and even in ultra liberal Austin, we don't like big brother telling us anything.

Some posters have mentioned being underpaid in PDX...is this something that's inherent in PDX, or does it apply to SEA, as well?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,121,053 times
Grew up in Texas, now live in Portland area. I'll take a stab at some of your questions, as well as those of the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoma14410 View Post
I've posted on the Seattle forums, so I might as well post here. I am thinking of moving to either PDX or SEA from Austin...family concerns, applying to law school in SEA, and a host of other reasons. From what I've heard and read, PDX compares very well to Austin, i.e. size, vibe, culture, etc... I haven't got a read on SEA, yet. I am a single male, mid 30's, so schools, etc...aren't really my concern. Some of the items that do have my attention are:
When you think of PDX and Seattle, you can sort of compare them as Austin and Dallas. Seattle is much more business-forward, intense, pretentious (though not as much so as Dallas), etc. More expensive cost of living, but conversely better job market.
Quote:
This SEA or PDX "freeze." Are people really that reserved, cliquish, etc... up there? I wonder if the weather that's dreary nine months out of the year has something to do with it? Sure, we all have our groups we run in down here, but, by an large, people are really friendly down here. Maybe it's a Texas thing.
I imagine it depends on where you are coming from. From NYC, people here might seem saintly. But as a Texan, I thought people here were quite cold. What I finally concluded is that they are not as outwardly friendly (as you'd expect in the south or midwest) but that they are actually quite nice. In fact, they are genuinely nice as opposed to friendliness that can be an act. I'd say that overall the folk in PDX are "decent" which is a good quality to have. (The exception being the rabid protest element.)

Quote:
Tex-Mex food...I know it may sound trivial, but the lack of good...hell, any...Tex-Mex in either SEA or PDX concerns me.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. This is a reality. Tex-Mex is virtually nonexistent up here, and "mediocre" is about all you can hope for. There has been a large influx of Hispanics to the area the last few years, so there are a few requisite Mexican places to choose from, but they will not be the Tex-Mex you are used to. But it is balanced by a great Asian food scene, so you can find some spicy stuff elsewhere.

Quote:
One poster mentioned that designer clothes and premium cars are looked down upon...does this mean if one drives, say a BMW, then it's bad mojo?
What about a large diesel truck?
There are big trucks in the rural areas. Actually, rural Oregon isn't a terribly different animal than rural Texas. But yes, in general, you won't find too many people dressed to the nines. I was always "underdressed" when I lived in Dallas, and with the same wardrobe I was always "overdressed" in PDX.

Quote:
Another poster mentioned "big brother" always having its hand in everything...can someone explain this further? I am coming from Texas...and even in ultra liberal Austin, we don't like big brother telling us anything.
Oregon is definitely a "nanny state." You can't pump your own gas--gotta let the make-work people do it for you. That's a pretty brief example but I think it's telling. You have to have permits and signatures and such to do anything (e.g. home improvement). On the other hand, my experience has been that working with government bureaucracy here is much less painful; people actually answer your questions and are interested in helping, as opposed to looking like you're out to get them simply for asking them to do their damn job.

Don't have enough experience in Washington to compare, though I sense it's less so.

Quote:
Some posters have mentioned being underpaid in PDX...is this something that's inherent in PDX, or does it apply to SEA, as well?
I think it's an Oregon thing. Costs have jumped very rapidly here and salaries have not kept up. Either that will change or costs will necessarily drop.

Overall, Portland is the most affordable west coast city, but it's all relative. Coming from Texas (or Kansas City, per the OP), you will have a heart attack at housing prices. Even mid-range chain restaurants are $2 an entree more or so, which does add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland