Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:52 AM

95 posts, read 116,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I don't get this "climate refugees" theory. Why would anyone leave due to drought?
Eventually a drought is going to limit the number of people that can live and prosper in an area - almost all economic activity (industrial, commercial, residential) requires freshwater. Historically, droughts have ended entire civilizations and are much more damaging than floods. More reservoirs won't help if there isn't any runoff to capture. There probably hasn't been much of a tangible effect on southwesterners yet, but people may be getting out ahead of the trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,319,346 times
Quote:
I don't get this "climate refugees" theory. Why would anyone leave due to drought? Does it greatly affect income, health, or safety? People would leave due to historical politics that did not prepare for the drought. Rather than build reservoirs, water filtration... officials spent money on other pet projects; they did not properly plan and prepare.

If Californians are trying to escape government ineptness they are not going to get much relief moving to Oregon.
Only if they're paranoid about the drought. Because it's farmers who have the biggest concerns, and I don't think any of them are scarfing up farmland in Washington County (Idaho has been one of their choices). I think a lot of people are just leaving there for other reasons besides drought.

But MY theory on climate refugees are those regions suffering harsh long winters and batteries of devastating tornados, etc - that kind of thing. Which would make more sense.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Our buyer is asian and has a California address.
If this is the case it may be an investment for their family and the like. Overseas Chinese investors are a big reason as to why the Southern California market is sky high especially in places like Irvine, and around college areas. Lots of well to do Chinese looking to get out of Shanghai/etc where prices are 3-4X more for apartments, so even CA prices are cheap. This isn't a bubble imo. CA displaced -> move north -> displaces others.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 13,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
What is driving up the price of housing in the Bay Area is the refusal of the cities to increase density..
At least in Los Angeles, it's due to parking requirements (2 spot requirement per apartment/house/etc), so they're only building luxury places. Add to that a 1978 law (I think) that froze housing taxes (until a house is resold) and you have a recipe for budget deficits and high house prices.

Quote:
I don't get this "climate refugees" theory. Why would anyone leave due to drought? Does it greatly affect income, health, or safety?
No, they're not leaving for climate (at least not yet and won't for a while). They're leaving because the housing market has nothing available and is 50-60% up from three years ago, and a lot of it is due to foreign investment (Chinese looking to bring their families over and paying above asking asap), especially in places like Irvine and other college areas.

I have to say that if the tactic to keeping people out of Portland is "act isolationist and insult away" it will probably not work, but just makes natives look bad. The fact is, most people in SF and LA looking to move out are not natives, but are mobile people looking for new places to live, and some of them are either bringing jobs with them, or providing essential services other places may be low on (medical). So they're not originally from California, and the regionalism that I've seen between Portlanders (especially) and California is amusing but also very juvenile.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:23 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,596,301 times
The Californians who are buying in Oregon and Washington are growers of grapes.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:35 PM

682 posts, read 1,580,968 times
As I've said before - keep coming, keep boosting the value on my house, just don't get mad when I glare at you when you wear your Kobe jersey at the Blazer game. This is our house!

Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM

682 posts, read 1,580,968 times
Oh also don't whine every time it rains. Thank you.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,916,012 times
The Cactus Leaguer- good advice for any transplant going anywhere. Don't whine about the weather. My kids who are growing up here are reminding me everyday of what it is to be an Oregonian.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:19 PM

846 posts, read 611,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Oh also don't whine every time it rains. Thank you.

Here is hoping for a long stretch of gloomy/rainy days in the fall. This will clear out some of the sun worshipers

Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM

95 posts, read 116,977 times
Quote:
Here is hoping for a long stretch of gloomy/rainy days in the fall. This will clear out some of the sun worshipers
Cheers to that, brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland