Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:21 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,914,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
LaMarcus Aldridge apparently took 58rhodes's advice
He can buy a palace in Texas...but then, you are still in Texas.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,850,618 times
The postings that drive me nuts are the ones that complain about California in the Oregon forum. Granted, I live near the border and keep an eye on California politics as they might affect us, but I really don't want to hear about what is wrong with California in the Oregon forum.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:29 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,975,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
"Why not just move"

That's a very narrow-minded view of the world. There are thousands of reasons why someone cannot relocate. Otherwise there would be no ghettos.
Well, awareness of class issues is not the forte of people in this part of the world, unfortunately. I think it's a massive "blind spot" in the progressivism of the West Coast. Someone might be a flaming liberal in every other aspect here (I use that term as a compliment), yet act like a Tea Party conservative when it comes to labor or poverty related issues.

There is a huge unwillingness to admit that poverty exists in the Pacific Northwest and not everybody here is comfortably middle-class or wealthy.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:32 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,975,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
So how is being upset with rental increases that are among the 7th highest in the county mean that people don't like Portland? There's a difference between dislike and concern. I have no problem personally with rental increases because it doesn't affect me. However, it affects a lot of other people already living here (and that does concern me) which will turn Portland into a city like SF--one where you have only wealthy and poor people, not a lot in between, and most of what made the city great--art, food, culture, music, etc. will go away because people can't afford to stay here. Economic diversity is important to a city. The middle class leaving is problematic.
I know it sounds like I hate Portland but I really don't, I just hate what the city and region is becoming due to the elitism and poverty denialism that's so rampant in that city (and really the whole USA) these days. If I hated Portland and the Northwest I wouldn't care if it was becoming unaffordable to an entire class of the people who live there. And it hurts natives to the region the most.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:37 PM

56 posts, read 77,460 times
[quote=karlsch;40274635]This is a relocation forum – it's not a Chamber of Commerce forum where you would only read the good things about a location.

This attitude you speak of, is all you need to know abut the people you will encounter if you live in Portland, Oregon. You can decide if that is something you can live with at work, the grocery store, your boss… Oh yeah, lots of the "Portland rudeness!"

Old 07-05-2015, 01:51 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,476,929 times
I don't find Portland rude at all. It has the private space bubble thing in proportion to its size as an urban area, meaning the bigger it is, and the more crowded it is, the more the residents of a place tend to ignore one another absent a compelling reason. If you're the only two people on the sidewalk in Maupin, probably you say hello (if there are sidewalks in Maupin). If you're the only two on the sidewalk in Queens or Philadelphia, probably you don't. It's like how Americans go to Paris and come back saying how rude the French are. Well, it's basically the New York City of France, so one doesn't expect a small-town friendliness.

Relative to its size, Portland is probably friendlier than one would expect, because when circumstances do cause people to have encounters, in my experience the majority are polite and friendly. Orlando is just as big, and decidedly less friendly (and often very stupid). If there's a friendliness downfall here, it would be that people make very abrupt maneuvers of the kind that in some places, most people would put on their blinker and have faith that someone would let them in. And I'm not sure why people don't develop that faith, because so far, it has worked great for me. Put on your signal, give someone else a chance to be a Good Guy or Good Gal, and often enough they'll choose to do so.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,656,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I miss my family & friends in Portland. COL & bit of luck has me in a "palace" of sorts (took awhile I will admit). The ROI is better here for your time and efforts. Imagine living in Laurelhurst for under 250K with property tax under 4k. I have a museum and a huge park in walking distance. I don't regret the move at all. My personal space is important to me. The quality of the space is important as well. I've said it before and I will say it here, "scraping to get by in Portland for the scenery" is not on my to do list. I can fly in and soak up all Portland has to offer, visit friends/family and then fly back to my wonderful green spot.

So, yeah I didn't like it anymore and I moved. After 30+ years of working just to say "wow I live in Portland, the coolest city ever" I figured it out.

Be objective when you speak. I have the experience to speak and the honesty to tell it like it is.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:30 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,914,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I miss my family & friends in Portland. COL & bit of luck has me in a "palace" of sorts (took awhile I will admit). The ROI is better here for your time and efforts. Imagine living in Laurelhurst for under 250K with property tax under 4k. I have a museum and a huge park in walking distance. I don't regret the move at all. My personal space is important to me. The quality of the space is important as well. I've said it before and I will say it here, "scraping to get by in Portland for the scenery" is not on my to do list. I can fly in and soak up all Portland has to offer, visit friends/family and then fly back to my wonderful green spot.

So, yeah I didn't like it anymore and I moved. After 30+ years of working just to say "wow I live in Portland, the coolest city ever" I figured it out.

Be objective when you speak. I have the experience to speak and the honesty to tell it like it is.
I never would think of Portland as the coolest city ever... not even close. I guess our benchmarks for an amazing city are very different. Portland is a great place to live but it's more of a big small town. That's fine and I was ready to give up NYC and not go back to my hometown, S.F., or try to find a place in SoCal so Portland was an acceptable option. I, too, understand what it's like to move somewhere because struggling wasn't ok anymore. Your city was Portland and mine was NYC. I get it. I grew up in S.F. and lived on the East Coast, for the better part of my adulthood so yeah, I could never live in Texas. I just find the West and East coasts desirable for a bunch of reasons. Good go hear that Texas is a good fit for you though as you are saving money living there.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:23 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Is Texas that much worse than Oregon? Taking off the rose colored glasses for a second, what does Oregon actually do better than Texas?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 AM

335 posts, read 331,075 times
One thing I noticed is that many people in Portland seem to be convinced that they are living in the best place on the planet and that they could be happy in no other place. I guess that's what gave rise to the Oregon with green heart in the middle stickers. It's as though they've never seen 82nd Ave, never been hit up for change in a random place by a teenager with no teeth, never peeked that their fellow Portlanders on a Tri-Met bus, or never been screwed over by a weaselly landlord. Portland is not the land of milk and honey. It's a decent place in a nice landscape. Nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland