Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,657,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I don't doubt that there are some clichés and generalizations in there. The question was about Oregon vs. Texas as a place to live, though, and it doesn't take many of the stereotypes to be true to make a place unpleasant to live in if one isn't from it. The point is that what I described is the public presentation and perception from this vantage, in answer to the question I was asked.

I fault Texas in particular over education because of the way it throws its weight around on book content. I used to do contract work for an educational publisher, and for them, it came down to satisfying Texas or throwing away that big chunk of the textbook market. When one has that sort of influence, one is accountable for its use, and the same is true of a state or corporation. When McDonalds decides to require that an ingredient meet a certain standard, for example, we all benefit. When Wal-Mart uses its market influence to insist on sanitized music, I don't think we benefit. I readily grant that Oregon has serious public education problems, and they may be worse than those of Texas, but Oregon isn't the main player effectively censoring the nation's textbooks through economic muscle. It doesn't have enough, even if it wanted to.
For this reason alone Texas is not a decent place to live? Folks need to get out more.

Texas doesn't have snow covered mountains. Texas does have a lot of other wonderful things. Economic stability and affordable homes. 250K buys a home in a decent neighborhood with good schools. My wage is slightly lower than my counterparts in Portland, granted. I easily afford the place I live in. Comparable homes in the metro area would be 500K to start on a postage stamp lot.

I don't hate Portland, I just refused to keep jumping through hoops for the privilege of living there. I still visit, spend my vacation money with friends and family and scurry back home. I am a better tourist than a resident.

Last edited by Squidlo; 07-07-2015 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: word choice

Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
For this reason alone Texas is not a decent place to live? Folks need to get out more.

Texas doesn't have snow covered mountains. Texas does have a lot of other wonderful things. Economic stability and affordable homes. 250K buys a home in a decent neighborhood with good schools. My wage is slightly lower than my counterparts in Portland, granted. I easily afford the place I live in. Comparable homes in the metro area would be 500K to start on a postage stamp lot.

I don't hate Portland, I just refused to keep jumping through hoops for the privilege of living there. I still visit, spend my vacation money with friends and family and scurry back home. I am a better tourist than a resident.
And for those reasons, Texas is a better fit for you. It is all subjective.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:16 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,787,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
Seriously
it isnt for everybody
I absolutely agree! Suddenly, all sorts of totally inappropriate people have decided that Portland is "for them". They've watched THAT SHOW... you know the one... and have decided that Portland's a topsy-turvy world, one big zany adventure, where losers are magically redefined as winners, anything goes, and you can do anything you want, without consequences (and without money).

The thread to which I've linked, typifies the trend. A blue-collar couple from Georgia, who think they'll be part of the "Portland Scene", in some sort of horrible tricked-out car (It would be fine, I'm sure, in Gatlinburg, Branson, Pensacola, Spokane, or San Bernardino - but not in Portland). They have negligible savings, under-par job skills, and not much in the way of knowledge. Yet, for some reason, they apparently think that Portland will somehow transform them. https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...e-seeking.html These people are not versed in any of the preoccupations common to people who DO belong here (Our foodways, for example). Yet, maybe because they LIKE COFFEE, they have decided that Portland is for them. Maybe it was the CoffeeLand episode of THAT SHOW.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-07-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 AM

609 posts, read 809,792 times
I just learned a new word: foodways

Like everyone in Oregon has the same "foodway." Give me a break!

Old 07-08-2015, 05:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,046,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Is Texas that much worse than Oregon? Taking off the rose colored glasses for a second, what does Oregon actually do better than Texas?
This is too easy. I'll bite.

1. Texas has more hate groups then Oregon.
2. Texas has more natural disasters then Oregon.
3. Texas is more polluted then Oregon.
4. Texas has more corruption then Oregon.
5. Texas has more humidity then Oregon.
6. Texas has more rednecks then Oregon.
7. Texas has more prison population then Oregon, because they just can't execute them fast enough.
8. Texas has more terrorism the Oregon.
9. Texas has more teen pregnancies then Oregon.
10. Texas has more gun violence then Oregon.
11. Texas has more traffic accidents / deaths then Oregon.
12. Texas has a higher cancer rate then Oregon
13. Texas is flatter then Oregon, and lacks the natural beauty that Oregon has.
14. Texas arrests more people for smoking weed then Oregon.
15. Texas has more laws to limit woman’s right to abortions then Oregon.
16. Texas has more dangerous cults then Oregon.
17. Texas has lower quality of life then Oregon.
18. Texas has more fire ants, poisonous snakes, & scorpions then Oregon.
19. Texas has more censorship in schools then Oregon.
20. Texas has more Christian conservative tea bagging lunatics then Oregon.

I could go on, but I'm getting bored.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,046,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oregon does this better than Texas.

LOL vs this:

Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 AM

2,669 posts, read 3,868,754 times
1st photo is very nice.
2nd photo could just as easily come from approx 50% of the eastern half of OR although I might give you a a hill or two.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 AM

4,510 posts, read 4,637,419 times
Why not move? Because some people live to complain. Complaining is their life. They cant help it. Complaining is what they do best. It's the one thing in life they actually thrive in. They are not satisfied unless they are complaining about somebody or some thing. These people were the kids in grade school that took down names when the teacher left the room. Those kids grew up to be professional complainers. They advance their careers by pointing out faults of others. Many are found to be at the head of their training departments at the workplace. They make you believe they know a little about everything but in reality they dont know much about anything except for the rules and penalties which they create as their position requires as head of the training department...sorry, i got sidetracked...But, these are the same people who drive around town looking for over grown yards and will call the city on them. These are the same people who call the city when they see the garbage collectors relaxing in the park without considering the possibility they are on their lunch break. You know the overly intrusive controlling types I'm talking about.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-08-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 11:19 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,910,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
This is too easy. I'll bite.

1. Texas has more hate groups then Oregon.
2. Texas has more natural disasters then Oregon.
3. Texas is more polluted then Oregon.
4. Texas has more corruption then Oregon.
5. Texas has more humidity then Oregon.
6. Texas has more rednecks then Oregon.
7. Texas has more prison population then Oregon, because they just can't execute them fast enough.
8. Texas has more terrorism the Oregon.
9. Texas has more teen pregnancies then Oregon.
10. Texas has more gun violence then Oregon.
11. Texas has more traffic accidents / deaths then Oregon.
12. Texas has a higher cancer rate then Oregon
13. Texas is flatter then Oregon, and lacks the natural beauty that Oregon has.
14. Texas arrests more people for smoking weed then Oregon.
15. Texas has more laws to limit woman’s right to abortions then Oregon.
16. Texas has more dangerous cults then Oregon.
17. Texas has lower quality of life then Oregon.
18. Texas has more fire ants, poisonous snakes, & scorpions then Oregon.
19. Texas has more censorship in schools then Oregon.
20. Texas has more Christian conservative tea bagging lunatics then Oregon.

I could go on, but I'm getting bored.
1. Texas has a larger population than Oregon. According to the Southern Poverty law center, Texas has 36 hate groups and Oregon has 9. Texas has 1 hate group per 1.3 million people, Oregon has 1 per 2.25. So I'll give you a true.

2. You are correct. Texas has more natural disasters than Oregon.

3. You are correct. Texas produces more pollution.

4. The 10 Most and 10 Least Corrupt States in America - Mic
Note that this survey is thru 2008 and doesn't take into account the latest Kitzhaber admin. Texas rates
still in the 2nd lowest quintile for corruption, but ill give that to you.

5. You are incorrect. Oregon is more humid than Texas. I rate this false
U.S. Average Humidity State Rank

6. Texas has more rednecks than Oregon because it's a larger state. But if we're looking at percentages, Oregon exceeds every state I've ever visited in terms of redneck population. I deem this false.

7. Texas has a larger incarceration rate. I'll give you that.

8. Maybe you can elaborate on that one?

9. You are correct.

10. You are correct.

11. Correct.

12. According to the CDC, you are wrong.

13. This is an opinionated response. Let's stick to things that actually have numbers and objective data.

14. That's because it's illegal in Texas to smoke pot.

15. Sounds like that makes Texas a better place to live, at least for infants.

16. I had trouble googling this. Could you clarify?

17. According to this, Texas has a better quality of life than Oregon
Best States for Business - Forbes

18. OK, I guess that's correct.

19. But Oregon most likely has worse schools overall

20. And Oregon has more liberal atheist lunatics than Texas. What's your point?

So really, a healthy mix of correct, incorrect and type assertions. Oregon is summed up like this: unless your're upper middle class and above, it sucks to live here, face it.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,304,315 times
Than.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland