Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 09:30 AM

441 posts, read 439,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I don't like to ride MAX but I do. Long ago I used to read books to break the boredom but not anymore. I watch people around me like a hawk. A couple of years ago, in the middle of a hot summer day, a guy entered wearing a long black leather coat with gloves and a hat I watched his hand and was ready to hop off the next stop if it looked like he was going to reach inside for a weapon.
Good plan. I use to do the same. Honestly I have not been on the MAX for a very long time. My immune system is compromised and there is no way I am getting on a crowded train. I have ridden the bus a few times just short rides down to Target and the bus hardly had any people on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 11:47 AM

200 posts, read 173,763 times
Oregon has a very easy process to get a CWP. I recommend everyone exercise their 2nd amendment right. Especially if you are using public transportation. What a dumpster fire Portland has become.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:52 PM

26 posts, read 30,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I work downtown and am there at minimum 5 days a week, and have been for the last five years. It definitely has its issues, but the image of stepping over used needles and feces is a huge exaggeration. You may rarely spot a needle if you look carefully in certain secluded spots. I have seen feces twice in five years. I get that some people just don't like Portland, but why make up stuff to justify the hatred?

I first came to Portland in 1996. For me, the biggest change other than the housing price is that Portland used to actually be really clean, and now it is absolutely filthy, with garbage and graffiti everywhere. Still love it though. Can't beat the access to outstanding natural beauty and there is always something to do here.
No one is making up stuff, and the term huge exaggeration should be reserved for things like, well ...how about elevated Co2 being the leading driver of climate change.. People like you walk around with your head in the sand. I worked near 5th and Morrison for many years and have seen it all.I parked under the Morrison bridge for work and was mugged 4 times, and beaten up twice.My short walk downtown where I saw human feces ,syringes , homeless drug addicted people walking around in the rain dragging sleeping bags or laying in storefronts.Street kids, gang bangers. Are you sure you worked downtown? I would assume you worked somewhere near the pearl or goose hollow, or maybe uptown near PSU, where there are no issues. There is no hatred for Portland here just reality, I was born here and never left . You have been here 5 years, and are from somewhere else. Youare enamored with this new place that you live and are living in a fools paradise. You may have brought some of your ideologies with you from wherever you came .Enough folks do that and it changes places.I think it is changing Portland. I think a lot of people that have lived here longer than 5 years and know what it used to be like would agree with me. Not that I hate you or am making a huge exaggeration. I guess you just need to look in the right places.Try 5th and Morrison for a start and walk toward Naito parkway. Try NW where Norm Thompson used to be W of 23rd, get under the bridges where you park if you work in those areas and tell me what you see. You wont have to look carefully in secluded spots, no, it will be right out in the open, perhaps next to you car door. I havent been to Portland for some time now but, I've heard its a bit worse now, or maybe folks are just making stuff up cus they hate Portland Let me know how that works out for you.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:22 AM

333 posts, read 328,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDSALMON2 View Post
No one is making up stuff, and the term huge exaggeration should be reserved for things like, well ...how about elevated Co2 being the leading driver of climate change.. People like you walk around with your head in the sand. I worked near 5th and Morrison for many years and have seen it all.I parked under the Morrison bridge for work and was mugged 4 times, and beaten up twice.My short walk downtown where I saw human feces ,syringes , homeless drug addicted people walking around in the rain dragging sleeping bags or laying in storefronts.Street kids, gang bangers. Are you sure you worked downtown? I would assume you worked somewhere near the pearl or goose hollow, or maybe uptown near PSU, where there are no issues. There is no hatred for Portland here just reality, I was born here and never left . You have been here 5 years, and are from somewhere else. Youare enamored with this new place that you live and are living in a fools paradise. You may have brought some of your ideologies with you from wherever you came .Enough folks do that and it changes places.I think it is changing Portland. I think a lot of people that have lived here longer than 5 years and know what it used to be like would agree with me. Not that I hate you or am making a huge exaggeration. I guess you just need to look in the right places.Try 5th and Morrison for a start and walk toward Naito parkway. Try NW where Norm Thompson used to be W of 23rd, get under the bridges where you park if you work in those areas and tell me what you see. You wont have to look carefully in secluded spots, no, it will be right out in the open, perhaps next to you car door. I havent been to Portland for some time now but, I've heard its a bit worse now, or maybe folks are just making stuff up cus they hate Portland Let me know how that works out for you.
First of all, it says right in the post you quote that I first came to Portland in 1996, so I don't know why you are saying that I've only been here for five years and are bringing somewhere else's "ideologies" to Portland. In fact, I've spent the vast majority of my adult life to Portland, and any ideologies I have were developed right here. In any case, there is no need to gatekeep. People move all around the country constantly, and they are all entitled to their opinions about wherever they find themselves paying taxes, living, and working.

Also, this is in response to a three year old post from February 2020. That's before COVID emptied downtown of it's workers, before the riots, and before Measure 110. I would not make that statement about downtown today. However, I still work downtown 5 days a week even though I could work at home if I wanted to. I am not giving up on Portland as so many have, and want to be part of the solution to it getting back to being a vibrant, clean, and safe city.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:53 PM

908 posts, read 1,660,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
This is why America can't have good public transit. It soon gets overrun by vagrants and low lifes. Countries in Europe and East Asia just simply don't tolerate that population. It's time to start enforcing loitering laws.

in the usa, we have this thing called States. the usa is NOT one huge state, it is a collection of states which function almost like separate countries. Europe is much more homogenous in thier countries- each one is basically one people group, same language, with few minorities and few new immigrants, like one state, with counties.
They have been established and developing for a thousand years.

ok, so in oregon we have to decide our own type of transit and enforcement. I's so hilarious when people make a comment about " why can't the usa be like europe" .

We have a great deal of self determination by We the People ( or whichever state- jumping busybodies with agendas we are saddled with as " officials).

WE ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM EUROPE IN EVERY WAY.

What happens in Oregon, has only a little to do with what happens in the whole country- and certainly almost nothing to do with old east coast states that have been developed for around 300 years or more, much less of anything to do with europe. We are still under development, it's still half way Wild West here. Our needs , terrain, society, history, demographics, laws, land use, wildlife, mountains, deserts, and everything, are far different from theirs.

And we need to be VERY careful about what we adopt from other states or countries, here! although we could take a few tips.

It does seem rather apparent that Oregon State and local " leaders" cough cough, are not good at figuring out what the People need in terms of how to develop this state including transit or transportation, as well as housing. And haven't been good at it for several decades.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:53 AM

36 posts, read 14,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaJa View Post
Hi, I've been unable to find a support group for this issue which has me very much on edge.

I've ridden TriMet transportation for a long time off and on having lived in Portland, now on my third go round.

I finally was employed 7 1/2 months ago after nearly 17 months of unemployment and am back riding the Max to and from downtown. It has changed. No police presence on the train, no fare checking. I've had to get on the train intercom three times, and a few days ago I was threatened on the Gateway transit center platform.

If there is anyone who feels the same as I do, not safe, not having the money for a decent self-defense class, please let me know. Maybe we can share information, resources, tips on this subject.

Many thanks.
One thing I suggest is not wearing AirPods or headphones that are visible. Make sure to always be aware of your surroundings. If you feel uncomfortable with someone do put them and call someone. Tell them where you are and what bus or train line you are on. Also update them with a description of the person who you are concerned about and if possible a picture is worth a thousand words. Pretend you are taking a selfie and get them in the background or use the camera and pose for a selfie while taking their picture. You can share your location with friends and family as well as their picture.

If you see a sketchy person on the bus and can wait for the next one consider that as a better option. If you must get on, sit by someone who seems trustworthy or by the driver and ask the driver to keep an eye on you and the person as well as request security come by. If you can have your friend or family meet you at the stop do that. I am not a woman so I cannot really comment on it but if there is another woman on the train sit by her and try to develop a conversation. It is also a great way to make friends and get to know your fellow train riders.

I do not know much about Portland or its public transit but I am trying to learn about it as I would like to move there for grad school next year and attend PSU.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:48 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
It does seem rather apparent that Oregon State and local " leaders" cough cough, are not good at figuring out what the People need in terms of how to develop this state including transit or transportation, as well as housing. And haven't been good at it for several decades.

I disagree - the "Leaders" of Oregon are very good at acting in a manner of self interest. They know exactly what they are doing.

1. They consciously enact horrible policies thus allowing bad things to happen. From drugs, crime, limited housing availability, bad tax policy, lousy public schools - it was all very evident starting in the 60/70's with the push away from limited gov't to the more Progressive Democrat big gov't approach. They created the sh&tstorm on purpose.

2. They then argue that they will be the saviors to fix the very problems they created. They push the false promise that by only by voting for us and allowing us to tax you ever more, will these problems be solved.

3. It is a lie and a bad approach. Some people are finally waking up. However for places like Portland and Multnomah county, the cancer is very strong and will be around for a long time. Do not expect much improvement.

4. Oregon needs a version of Trump to truly turn a corner.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:27 AM

977 posts, read 517,163 times
It's been a long time since I lived in Portland, but when I did, I saw that the MAX trains got a different ridership than the buses. The latter were used by people primarily going to and from work, or out for errands or a night out. The MAX trains had their commuter types, but after work hours, they often had a bunch of rough looking punk types who I didn't like the look of. There was an overall vibe that something could happen and get out of hand very easily.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:15 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Get a conceal carry license, train with it practice, and carry it. Maintain your situational awareness and trust your gut instinct. If something feels "off" then it is. Don't be a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland