Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

I’m looking to go to college next year and hopefully play baseball. I have narrowed it down to these two schools. Can anyone tell me about the campuses, the student life, the atmosphere at either school. Also, are there pros and cons to either town that the schools are located in. Any feedback would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 11:41 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
George Fox is still very much a Quaker university. A student or faculty member who violates their standards will be dismissed. That is particularly impactful if you live on campus.

Linfield has its roots in the Baptist Church but is much more a traditional private college.

The choice is more dependent on your major and your lifestyle. George Fox has an excellent optometry program, for example. Linfield is known for its nursing program. The cost of living on campus is likely comparable. I think the tuition at Linfield is high (the exception being the ROI for nursing) for the majors it offers - I have that opinion based on the fact that one of my nieces graduated from that school.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
What Nell said.

Also my own impression is that George Fox has a higher percentage of non-traditional students and adult learners (perhaps by virtue of being closer to the Portland metro area) while Linfield is more of a small residential college with a higher percentage of 18-22 year old students.

In terms of academics, most people would consider them to be roughly peer institutions. I don't think they are dramatically different. McMinnviille is a bit larger town than Newberg but it is a bit further from Portland so that is probably a wash. Neither town is any sort of college town compared to a place like Corvallis or Eugene.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Agree that GF will have more 'commuters + adult learners' (+/-)

SIL lived in both towns, I much prefer McMinnville (It's own identity) Newburg is very much a commuter town (to Portland and Hillsboro / Beaverton).

But... if Baseball is your thing, you best be networking within that sector to get the best guidance. (Also considering which school offers the best guidance, education, and PLACEMENT in your career path. )

I would be interviewing the individual program leaders / Deans (Via phone / Skype if necessary) and recent grads. See how engaged the alumni network is in your chosen major, and where the grads are working.

Give them each a detailed tour and spend a weekend in each town (as you will spend MANY weekends there during school...) might become very clear, very fast!

I have attended classes / seminars at each. Very dependent on the profs / speakers and engagement of students. (thus adult learners can be a very valuable asset to a class and cohort... they speak from experience, and with authority and purpose)

Old 06-21-2020, 03:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
George Fox is still very much a Quaker university. A student or faculty member who violates their standards will be dismissed. That is particularly impactful if you live on campus.

Linfield has its roots in the Baptist Church but is much more a traditional private college.

The choice is more dependent on your major and your lifestyle. George Fox has an excellent optometry program, for example. Linfield is known for its nursing program. The cost of living on campus is likely comparable. I think the tuition at Linfield is high (the exception being the ROI for nursing) for the majors it offers - I have that opinion based on the fact that one of my nieces graduated from that school.
Does Linfield no longer have an outstanding physics department? The field emission X-ray source used in almost all modern X-ray machines was invented at Linfield Research Institute. It made so much money they had to spin it off to Field Emission Corporation to keep from losing their nonprofit status. I see they still have an active Physics Department.

https://www.linfield.edu/physics/research/lri.html

Old 06-21-2020, 05:45 PM

70 posts, read 46,550 times
Linfield is more tolerant, and McMinnville a far superior town, in terms of activities, downtown, dining, etc. George Fox does not have an optometry program, so I think the early response may have been referring to Pacific University, which is in Forest Grove, not George Fox University, which is in Newberg. Newberg is a religious, commuter town, built around a highway, and though it tries, has not been nearly as successful in building the same downtown community and ambience as McMinnville.

Both schools are similar in terms of athletic offerings, but Linfield baseball attracts some good talent.

Having lived in both communities and attended both schools, Linfield would be my recommendation.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2020, 08:02 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Linfield. Less parochial.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:19 AM

846 posts, read 609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateCookie View Post
Linfield is more tolerant, and McMinnville a far superior town, in terms of activities, downtown, dining, etc. George Fox does not have an optometry program, so I think the early response may have been referring to Pacific University, which is in Forest Grove, not George Fox University, which is in Newberg. Newberg is a religious, commuter town, built around a highway, and though it tries, has not been nearly as successful in building the same downtown community and ambience as McMinnville.

Both schools are similar in terms of athletic offerings, but Linfield baseball attracts some good talent.

Having lived in both communities and attended both schools, Linfield would be my recommendation.

Good luck!
What do you mean by more tolerant? I don’t recall the OP asking for opinions about your tolerance.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:08 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
What do you mean by more tolerant? I don’t recall the OP asking for opinions about your tolerance.
The OP asked about: "the campuses, the student life, the atmosphere at either school"

Discussing the degree of tolerance on campus (or openness to diversity) certainly touches on student life and atmosphere. And yes, George Fox has been in the news in the past decade for a pattern of intolerance towards LGBT minorities. Linfield, despite having Baptist roots, has not. For example:

2 Oregon universities on list of 'absolute worst campuses' for LGBTQ students:
https://www.oregonlive.com/education...8/post_39.html

University grapples with sensitive topic of openly gay students: https://cnnw.com/university-grapples...-gay-students/

Viral video reignites LGBTQ debate at Quaker school: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-quaker-school

George Fox U., which the Education Department recently permitted to discriminate against transgender students, previously won the right to discriminate against divorced people or unwed parents: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...minate-against

Housing Dispute Puts Quaker University at Front of Fight Over Transgender Issues: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/u...niversity.html

Old 06-22-2020, 11:26 AM

846 posts, read 609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The OP asked about: "the campuses, the student life, the atmosphere at either school"

Discussing the degree of tolerance on campus (or openness to diversity) certainly touches on student life and atmosphere. And yes, George Fox has been in the news in the past decade for a pattern of intolerance towards LGBT minorities. Linfield, despite having Baptist roots, has not. For example:

2 Oregon universities on list of 'absolute worst campuses' for LGBTQ students:
https://www.oregonlive.com/education...8/post_39.html

University grapples with sensitive topic of openly gay students: https://cnnw.com/university-grapples...-gay-students/

Viral video reignites LGBTQ debate at Quaker school: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-quaker-school

George Fox U., which the Education Department recently permitted to discriminate against transgender students, previously won the right to discriminate against divorced people or unwed parents: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...minate-against

Housing Dispute Puts Quaker University at Front of Fight Over Transgender Issues: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/u...niversity.html
Your message should be deleted as this forum is not for your activism.

The OP selected two schools that clearly has a pattern of Christian mindset. His questions should be respected and answered by the living and not tainted by your specific viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland