Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 07:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

How to get to Cannon Beach: Take US-26 East until it junctions with US 101 – a trip that should be only 1hr 30min by car. Turn south.
FYI to OP... Better head 'the-other-east' on 26 if headed to the coast (West of Portland).

When you take the traffic circle heading south... Sea Breeze cafe / bar is just a few hundred yds NORTH on 101 (towards Seaside). In case you're hungry.

We often have headed out to Cannon Beach area just for sunset. Since we are east of Portland, we try to get through and west of Hillboro by 3pm to void traffic. (except on Friday, you need to be out of Portland before noon). Sunny Fridays are NOT work days in the PNW, everyone bails by noon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 04:03 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Re: Tillamook.
The Tillamook Cheese Factory is all automated. Not much to see, except for the videos of the cheese making process.
The Ice cream is nice but sometimes the wait-crowds make the IC less than perfect.

Warm days will make the "air" more dairy like.

Cape Meares Lighthouse. And the Tree.
Munson Falls.

Three Capes route. Highway-Parks need to cut down some trees and brush to make the views awesome. Maybe someone has already do so (haven't) visited in 5 years.
Is the ice cream there any different than the Tillamook ice cream you can buy in supermarkets? It's the best ice cream I have ever tasted, but I'm not sure I would stand in line for it. You can buy 1.5 quarts of it at Walmart for less then $5. Tillamook Mudslide FTW.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
If you want to see the famous Oregon coast, do not drive to Tillamook, which is inland, to see how cheese is made. Go to the actual coast to see what made it famous, even if it is raining.
True but the OP could take US-26 to Seaside, then head down US-101 to Tillamook. Then take Highway 6 back to Portland. It would only add about an extra hour to the roundtrip. About 4 hours of driving vs 3 hours.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:41 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Is the ice cream there any different than the Tillamook ice cream you can buy in supermarkets? It's the best ice cream I have ever tasted, but I'm not sure I would stand in line for it. You can buy 1.5 quarts of it at Walmart for less then $5. Tillamook Mudslide FTW.
No, it's the same stuff and decent but rather ordinary. In terms of other non-gourmet ice creams It isn't as good as Blue Bell in Texas and probably not as good as Umpqua.

Mostly the have cheese samples not ice cream samples. But again, just the same stuff you can get at any store in the Northwest.

We just drove through Tillamook yesterday. I noted that the line into the cheese factory stretched out the door and down the sidewalk. Totally not worth it. Plenty of better attractions on the coast. But I guess it does bring jobs and money to Tillamook, which does need it.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:00 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
No, it's the same stuff and decent but rather ordinary. In terms of other non-gourmet ice creams It isn't as good as Blue Bell in Texas and probably not as good as Umpqua.

Mostly the have cheese samples not ice cream samples. But again, just the same stuff you can get at any store in the Northwest.

We just drove through Tillamook yesterday. I noted that the line into the cheese factory stretched out the door and down the sidewalk. Totally not worth it. Plenty of better attractions on the coast. But I guess it does bring jobs and money to Tillamook, which does need it.
I would put Tillamook ahead of Blue Bell just due to the fact that it hasn’t killed anyone, unlike Blue Bell.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:15 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Quote:

There are both indoor and outdoor counters to buy ice cream cones and cups. If they are lined up outside you are likely seeing the line up to the outdoor counter.

The Cheese Factory used to be more of an interesting stop before they remolded the gift shop areas a few years ago. It used to be one side Tillamook only merchandise, and the other side of the building was an very large general coastal gift shop. The gift shop portion is gone now, but they expanded the Tillamook Cheese related gifts and food area.

Anyway, we often stop at least once on a trip if visiting the north end of the coast.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
There are both indoor and outdoor counters to buy ice cream cones and cups. If they are lined up outside you are likely seeing the line up to the outdoor counter.

or... Ir too crowded, drive acorss the street to Fred Meyers and pick up a 1.5qt of Tillamook Ice Cream for $3 (on sale), or $6 regular price. You can buy cones and probably feed the family and friends on a single container. Or buy a few flavors and give the extra to me (I'll be waiting in the parking lot, and have my portable freezer with me).

I do like to fetch a few # of fresh Cheese curds. They go well with the nearby Sausage sticks
Tillamook Country Smoker Factory Outlet- Bay City, OR

Old 08-22-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Oh no, not Umpqua. Umpqua is the worst ice cream I have tasted. Tillamook is the best. Although the quality is not always perfect. Their mixing process could be better. But it always tastes good. I have never tested Blue Bell so I can't comment on that.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I would put Tillamook ahead of Blue Bell just due to the fact that it hasn’t killed anyone, unlike Blue Bell.
Yikes. Blue Bell just went on my list of products not to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland